What makes good art? (Read 162 times)

Why is it sideways?

It seems that Dewey and Kant both underpin their definitions of beauty with experience.  I would say that, like Truth, there is Beauty.  A thing may be beautiful (or ugly) whether or not a particular person experiences it so or not.  The experience may say more about the essential nature of the experiencer than the object.

You're a Platonist: you already outed yourself in your first comment!

I am not a Platonist, but it's a good view. Yes, Kant and Dewey are both moderns and suspicious of either a) [strong view] the existence of the absolutes that you recommend here or b) [weak view] human ability to grasp those absolutes.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It seems that Dewey and Kant both underpin their definitions of beauty with experience.  I would say that, like Truth, there is Beauty.  A thing may be beautiful (or ugly) whether or not a particular person experiences it so or not.  The experience may say more about the essential nature of the experiencer than the object.

When old age shall this generation waste,  
          Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe  
        Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,  
      'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all  
          Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

joescott

You're a Platonist: you already outed yourself in your first comment!

Yes, I'm sure you at least already suspected as much even prior to my first comment.  

And by the way, I'm thinking if I can stay unhurt and continue to pile up a good winter of miles, I might make another run at the USATF Masters' Championships again this year, even though this time I'd have to travel for it.  I can't leave it the way it ended last summer.  Might could use a good word or two from you along the way....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I consider this great art...

I consider this great art...

--- I agree.  Kid gets an "A" on my standards for #1 Incorporating a song into word 1 of all lines of a concise paper.  #2, It is a song not of his generation, it is of my (and probably the Teacher's) generation.  Very Cunning.  Very Clever.   Hell, athletes coming out of UNC have been discovered not to be reading above an Elementary Level.   Give this Kid an A.  Scratch that, give him a 100, A+!      Rick Astley Rocks!  (I am biased a little, yes...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

-PS.  You know what burns me up the most though? My own kids.  They do good work, but I can't even get my teen boys to write their names at the top of their (BLEEP)in papers before they turn them in!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

simonaannie

Would you say that your life has meaning? I can’t imagine you wouldn’t, so look for creativity in the most obvious place it could be: inside yourself. Every day is a tiny part of the grand story that is your life. Keep a journal and write without filter. Don’t be surprised when you look at your notebook later to discover inspiration staring you between the eyes.

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.toyswill.com/

Village people

Good art should inspire, uplift, elevate us to make a (sometimes entirely unconscious) connection to something spiritual that resonates with the better, the greater, the joyful (or the sorrowful) that transcends our animal, material existence.

I like this. I don't have much appreciation for art but there are things in nature and photographs that evoke many of these feelings.

Joann Y

Compare with, say, Vermeer:

Any workaday art critics out there?

Sort of an aside, but this movie about Vermeer's techniques looks really interesting. In theatres right now (at least in my town):

http://sonyclassics.com/timsvermeer/

Proust has many references to art in his book almost all of which I am not familiar but I always thought his fascination with Vermeer was fascinating itself and his "little patch" about Vermeer's painting 'View of Delft' is compelling:

The circumstances of his death were as follows. A fairly mild attack of uraemia had led to his being ordered to rest. But, an art critic having written somewhere that in Vermeer's View of Delft (lent by the Gallery at The Hague for an exhibition of Dutch painting), a picture which he adored and imagined that he knew by heart, a little patch of yellow wall (which he could not remember) was so well painted that it was, if one looked at it by itself, like some priceless specimen of Chinese art, of a beauty that was sufficient in itself, Bergotte ate a few potatoes, left the house, and went to the exhibition. At the first few steps he had to climb, he was overcome by an attack of dizziness. He walked past several pictures and was struck by the aridity and pointlessness of such an artificial kind of art, which was greatly inferior to the sunshine of a windswept Venetian palazzo, or of an ordinary house by the sea. At last he came to the Vermeer which he remembered as more striking, more different from anything else he knew, but in which, thanks to the critic's article, he noticed for the first time some small figures in blue, that the sand was pink, and, finally, the precious substance of the tiny patch of yellow wall. His dizziness increased; he fixed his gaze, like a child upon a yellow butterfly that it wants to catch, on the precious patch of wall. "That's how I ought to have written," he said. "My last books are too dry, I ought to have gone over them with a few layers of colour, made my language precious in itself, like this little patch of yellow wall." Meanwhile he was not unconscious of the gravity of his condition. In a celestial pair of scales there appeared to him, weighing down one of the pans, his own life, while the other contained the little patch of wall so beautifully painted in yellow. He felt that he had rashly sacrificed the former for the latter. "All the same," he said to himself, "I shouldn't like to be the headline news of this exhibition for the evening papers."

View of Delft:

http://www.cdpaintings.com/johannes-vermeer/view-of-delft-by-johannes-vermeer/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thank you, Joann.

BeeRunB

Thanks, Joann. "Hot Girl With A Pearl Earring" was just in town here in Atlanta last year. Sort of Vermeer's Mona Lisa. Except it wasn't behind a security glass as if it were the Hannibal Lector Of paintings:

The real life model lives in California, I think:

I, Ken, make my girlfriend dress up like Hot Girl With A Pearl Earring:

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Currently working on a Master of Fine Art degree at The Ohio State University. "What is good art" is the question that has been asked for thousands of years and likely will continue to be asked until man no longer exists. Art is a form of communication so on one level, good art is something that communicates from artist to viewer. That communication can take many forms and can be positive, neutral, negative or a combination of those. In my opinion, good art gets you to think about the human experience of life. It may confirm ideals long held, cause you to re-evaluate thoughts and ideas, or it may teach you something new. It may challenge the status quo or not.

You may not care for Duchamp's "Fountain" - you may not feel it speaks to you. But it is good art.

I'm a photographer [paulscottpage.com]. Photography has had a long history of having to justify itself as Fine Art. Some universities still exclude photo from the departments of fine art and stick it with design and graphic arts.

The bottom line is: it's art if someone says its art. Whether its good art or not is perhaps in the eye of the beholder. Jeff Koon's Orange Balloon Dog sold for $58.4 million. I'd say someone thinks that's art. Is it good art? Personally... it's expensive shit. Art, yes, but still shit.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental