2-in-1 Shorts (Read 3072 times)

Stacks

I am one of these guys with big thighs, and I need a compression short under my running shorts, to avoid chafing (note, one "f").

I have bought a couple of pairs of 2-in-1 shorts, with the built-in compression liner, assuming that these might cut down on my laundry and the number of running items I have to track.   (I should also explain that I only buy gear once its on the discount rack.)

So far I am batting .500.  The Asics shorts I bought are terrible -- the compression liner both sags a bit in the crotch and rides up on the legs.  Not a good scenario.  I won't use them now on runs much longer than 6.5 km.  An Adidas pair, on the other hand, are super comfortable, and have become my favourite shorts, reserved for long runs.

My question:  Anybody have any recommendations for 2-in1 shorts?  I would like to have a few options ready to go so that I can improve my batting average the next time I see something on sale.

(Two anticipatory notes:

1.  No, I will not run in just compression shorts.  Nobody needs to see that.

2.  No, I will not increase my options by paying full price.  I just cannot justify $55 for a pair of shorts (average CDN retail price for 2-in1s).)

I have three pairs that are from Road Runner Sports.  It's their own brand.  I can't remember the price, but I remember it being reasonable.  Here is a link. I think they were cheaper when I bought them.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRM901/?cc=ST

ilp

I have the Nike 7" 2-in-1 short and I find its "inseam"/crotch is lower than the Asics and so requires a little hand-nudge to get up there (or requires pulling the shorts up a tad). However, it doesn't ride up at all for me. I also bought the Asics 2-1 pair on a whim and while the crotch doesn't sag for me and they seem OK, the compression short definitely ride up some, though it hasn't caused an issue yet.

I also tried a Mizuno Mustang 5" short, which is one of the shortest 5" shorts out there (subtract inseam from outseam), which means that the crotch line is higher. These are a bit too short for my comfort level, but once you get running, they do ride up in the middle some, but don't cause any discomfort. Still, better to stick with 2-1's.

Which exact Adidas model do you have that you like?

I recently bought Sugoi 2-in-1and they are really comfortable.  They were full price (yeah, about 55$ CDN)... I usually also try to find bargains, but I was due for new shorts so I decided to encourage the local running store.  I tried the Nike 7" (I think) at the same time and the Sugoi were a better fit for me.  They seemed pretty comparable otherwise, with the Nikes 5$ more if I remember correctly.

Good luck in your quest for a bargain - let us know if you find one!  (Maybe at a race expo if there's a race near you in the near future?  I'm heading to the Ottawa expo in the next few minutes actually...)

Simon

Stacks

Thanks.

Sugoi never seem to go on sale, but it is good to know that they might work.  As for sales, Sports4 down on Bank had a few pairs of 2-in-1s on sale in the $33 range yesterday -- also selling Saucony Kinvaras at $90.

Good luck (not running myself this year).  I hope the lightning storms hold off...

MTA -- Re the Adidas shorts, I googled the product number on the tag, and came up with Adidas Response Dual Baggy Short, like here.  Picture and description match what I have.

Mesh basketball shorts from Target work for me. They are about $10 without being on sale.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Stacks

Mesh basketball shorts from Target work for me. They are about $10 without being on sale.

They work great for me too -- so long as I wear compression shorts underneath, which tend to run $25 for anything that will last more than a few runs.  You know, because of my thighs...and the chafing and stuff...mentioned in the original post...?

mikeymike

They work great for me too -- so long as I wear compression shorts underneath, which tend to run $25 for anything that will last more than a few runs.  You know, because of my thighs...and the chafing and stuff...mentioned in the original post...?

Most basketball shorts hit just above the knee unless we're talking the early 80's old school style.

If a pair of shorts comes down to mid thigh or longer, how do you still get chub rub--with or without compression shorts underneath?   Actually..you know what...don't answer that.  I've spent enough time thinking about mens' thighs rubbing together for one day.

Runners run

"run" "2" "eat"

chafing isn't only about skin on skin, so the length of the shorts isn't always going to make a diff. it's how the shorts move against your skin between your legs when the cloth is all bound up there between your thighs. happy now?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

chafing isn't only about skin on skin, so the length of the shorts isn't always going to make a diff. it's how the shorts move against your skin between your legs when the cloth is all bound up there between your thighs. happy now?

+1

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 words: bloody nipples

DS recently saw photos from a race and was horrified at the sight of a few guys with bloody nips.  I don't think I'm ever going to be able to convince him to run, now. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have a suggestion. Don't worry about the additional layer. Buy a stick of Body Glide. I have had the same problem and started using it in my first marathon training. I love it, plus I can still wear comfortable split seam shorts.

How do you work this thing?

Stacks

Tried BodyGlide.  I believe my thighs must have special abrasive qualities, as the BodyGlide wore off after about 25mins.  Reapplication does not really seem to be an option.

BTW -- what a great place this is.  After years of bottling it all up, here I am fessing up to "chubrub" (thanks for that),  and talking about my thighs all day.  Liberating.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not a fan of Body Glide, either...I had about 3 sticks in a row that crumbled about halfway through...then they became a mess to use and dumped in the trash with several dollars of product left (I never found it to work for more than maybe an hour, either).  I sent a note off to the company about the issue and their reply was that sometimes if the sticks sit in a store for too long that they degrade...but they never offered to send me a free stick or coupon or anything.  I have had FAR better luck with the Two Toms SportShield roll-on.  It's silicone-based, so it doesn't sweat off...it doesn't even wash-off easily.  It's about the same price as Body Glide, but lasts a LOT longer.  Their sock powder is also great stuff.  I believe both products were recommended to me by one of the ultra runners around here.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

2 in 1 shorts skeeve me out a little. If I want to run in a swim suit, I'll get a speedo.

I prefer to run in Nike or UA compressions shorts under a pair of running shorts.

Unfortunately, it is getting harder to find decent running shorts without liners.

I may be forced to buy shorts with liners, then cut 'em out.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn