Length of taper for a 25k? (Read 745 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I will be running my first 25k in less than a month and I am really wondering how I should taper for this. Initially I was thinking I would taper for 2 weeks (last long run 2 weeks before race, then gradually reducing length of runs and taking more rest days than normal), but maybe this is too long. Would 1-1.5 weeks for my taper be more reasonable? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I would say 1-1.5 weeks. My Half Marathon is the 29th and despite my husband wanting to start tapering last week, I decided this week would be better. Last year I tapered 2 weeks for every half marathon I ran and 3 weeks before my marathon. I really believe it hurt my races. Guess I'll find out on the 29th if less tapering helped any. BTW my tapering will be more rest days this week and next week and shorter long run this week and shorter runs next week.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's kind of what I am leaning towards, too, Pam. I think 1.5 might be just about perfect. Were I doing a full marathon I would most likely do 2 full weeks, but for a race that is closer to a half...1.5 sounds more reasonable. I think I might do my last really long run more like 11-12 days before the race. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think you're good with your 1.5 taper. Cool Running's half-mar schedule has the last long run two weeks before the race, and Hal Higdon has it a week before, so splitting the difference seems like a good idea. If you plan on taking a rest day off before the race, it's probably better to take Thursday off, run real short and easy on Friday, and then rock and roll on Saturday. I've read this before, and it looks like Cool Running schedule has it, too. Also my own experience is that I've been a little flat for races where I didn't run the day before. The same also holds true after the race. I remember reading in The Self Coached Runner that if you plan on taking the day off after a big race, take it off two days later. A real easy short run the day after will help loosen sore muscles and hasten recovery. So for those keeping score at home: Thurs: off Fri: 3 mi easy Sat: Race Sun: 3 mi easy Mon: off BTW, WTF kind of name is Fifth Third Bank (sponsor of the Riverbank Run)? That's a merger gone bad like in Seinfeld ("Moland Springs water"). Good luck with the race. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

I would taper about 3 days. All short easy runs.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Really? Just 3 days...hmmm...maybe I should think of more like 5-7. My long runs still really kick my butt and generally take 2 days to recover from. Perhaps I could still do my last long run just a week before, though? Jeff, before it was Fifth-Third is was Old Kent (which was absorbed by 5/3). I don't know what it was before that. Grand Rapids Marathon now has a big corporate sponsor, so I guess this year it will be the Metro Health Grand Rapids Marathon. Not sure I will run the day after or not...BIG Mother's Day buffet might have me in need of a wheelbarrow ride out of the restaurant.... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, before it was Fifth-Third is was Old Kent (which was absorbed by 5/3).
                Yeah, it was Old Kent when I ran it (1990). Fifth-Third just seems like a ridorkulous name to me. If you're slow recovering from your long runs, there's no danger running your last one 11~12 days before the race. Like I said, various schedules have it either 7 or 14 days before the race. Tapering is tricky. Bottom line is that there's really no need to do speedwork during that last week. All of your runs, regardless of mileage, should be easy. Have fun with that wheelbarrow ride! Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, planning my last speedwork session about 9 days before the race. Looks like 12 days out will be a good spot in my schedule for my last really long run (3 hours...probably 16 or so miles). That brings up the other question...to run or not to run the day before? I've never run the day before a race before--but I know some folks really swear by it. I'm leery. I have a 10 mile race on this Sat. and I am thinking of knocking out 3 easy miles on Fri. just to see how that goes... k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That brings up the other question...to run or not to run the day before? I've never run the day before a race before--but I know some folks really swear by it. I'm leery. I have a 10 mile race on this Sat. and I am thinking of knocking out 3 easy miles on Fri. just to see how that goes...
                    I swear by it. Hopefully if you try it you won't swear at me. Just make that three miler nice and easy. The thinking behind it is that it's an active rest day. The motion helps keep you loose, but the pace shouldn't drain you at all. BTW, having Old Kent Flashbacks The porta-john at 10k (thank you), how great I felt at 13.1, how lousy I felt at 14 (but you're so close at that point it doesn't matter, right?), how tight I felt after the long car ride home). Fun race. One of my best.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eryn (backroadrunner) did it last year and said it was great until about the 13 mile point...when she started to hurt. That's about where I was standing to cheer her on (by John Ball Zoo)--just as she need it. Smile I am SO psyched for this race! If this weekend's 10 miler goes well I think I will need to be sedated in the following 3 weeks of training to not overdo it (especially as I have re-fallen in love with my higher stability shoes). Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm definetly planning on running at least a couple easy miles the day before my HM. With the new shoes I got a few weeks ago, seems to take a bit longer to warm up after taking a day off.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson