Tips for doing Brick workout (Read 1733 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I just started doing short brick workouts (bike/run) during my lunch hour at work. They are KILLING ME. The bike part is not such a big deal (I'm only riding 5-6 mi), but jumping off the bike and right into the run is crazy hard. Does this part get easier, or is it something you just have to suffer through? Any tips on how to properly make the transision would be welcome. THANKS! Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

The voice of mile 18

absolutely it'll get easier but don't think it's ever easy. what ya training for?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Think Whirled Peas

absolutely it'll get easier but don't think it's ever easy. what ya training for?
        There's a sprint tri in Grand Haven, MI in July that me and a coupla friends were thinking about. I've been reconsidering b/c I just don't have time/easy access to a pool for training. But my running partners from work are starting to train and on Tues/Thurs they're doing the bike/run bricks. I figured I'd go w/them just to change it up a bit, but DAMN! I had no idea how bad that would feel. Definitely have a new-found respect for the tri-folks. You bastages are gluttons for punishment. Might even have to rank you up there w/the Ultra crowd.

The Greatest of All Time

They do get easier. When I was training for the Ironman I used to do 100 mile rides followed by 10k runs and those sucked!!!! Keep at it. It just takes a little while to get used to it but it does get better. I promise!
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          areesemd

I did my first brick this morning. We rode for 1 hour, then just a 20 minute run. I felt real good after the ride, but it is incredible how bad your legs feel when you first start to run. It took 1/2 mile to loosen up and actually feel like I was running. But I'd do it again.

Gotta TRI

I've got three tri's ahead of me this year. I've got to get bricking!! Just raced a HM with a back injury, once that feels better I'll be out there hitting the "bricks". Actually was looking forward to em til I read this post. Undecided
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
              protoplasm72

Is the intensity of the ride and run important? or is it enough to do an easy ride then an easy run? I'm planning on doing a sprint tri this summer and haven't done any bricks yet. I'm just wondering if I should be simulating race conditions where I'd be biking hard then running hard or is just doing the transition regardless of intensity going to prepare me for the race?

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

The Greatest of All Time

Is the intensity of the ride and run important? or is it enough to do an easy ride then an easy run? I'm planning on doing a sprint tri this summer and haven't done any bricks yet. I'm just wondering if I should be simulating race conditions where I'd be biking hard then running hard or is just doing the transition regardless of intensity going to prepare me for the race?
                  The whole point of a brick is to get you used to the shift from bike to run and if you have done one, you know what I mean. It feels like you're uncoordinated and running with concrete shoes. Obviously the longer and/or more intense the ride the greater the effect. FWIW, for a sprint distance tri, I would train hard as hell for it because it's so short. So in your case I would simulate race conditions as much as possible since it's practical due to the relatively short distance.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Sandi Sue

I just started doing short brick workouts (bike/run) during my lunch hour at work. They are KILLING ME. The bike part is not such a big deal (I'm only riding 5-6 mi), but jumping off the bike and right into the run is crazy hard. Does this part get easier, or is it something you just have to suffer through? Any tips on how to properly make the transision would be welcome. THANKS! Q
                    What helped for me was to ease up on the last mile of the bike ride before jumping off the bike and taking off onto the road. Your legs will thank you. Also, not every training brick should be done at all out effort. When we train for a road race, is every training run done all out? No! Save something for the actual race. LOL

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

jeffdonahue

I actually found that it helped to make every bike workout a brick workout - even if you just get out there and do a half a mile or so.

Think Whirled Peas

I actually found that it helped to make every bike workout a brick workout - even if you just get out there and do a half a mile or so.
                        That's pretty much what we're doing. The run is just a mile, but the first 2-5 minutes of it have been pretty rough. I think we need to slow down a bit on the running. It's just so damn hard to gage pace b/c my legs are completely jacked up at first. The first one we did we ran much faster than we should have, and yet I felt like we were barely moving at all. Crazy ass sport... Smile

TRIing to beat the heat!

It absolutely gets easier... I promise!!! Big grin I remember my first ever brick workout vividly! I had to walk during my 'run' about 3 times and I was huffing and puffing like you wouldn't believe. It was horrid! It was already mentioned above, but I second the recommendation of continuing to run after every bike ride... even if it's only 1/2 mile. I credit this to my ability to transition from the bike to the run without bonking. You can also try varying the pressure on your pedals at the end of your ride (some also stand up and pedal for a while) just to help move some blood to other areas of your legs. You can also try repeat "brick" drills, such as 15 to 20 minutes of cycling followed 5 minutes or so of running and then repeat 3x. Again, with time, it does get easier....but remeber that these transitions are essentially what make the sport of triathlon so challenging. So while your legs will never feel great during the first part of your run, you can train the body to accept the transition with less of a fight. Good luck!!!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

areesemd

Second brick, one week later. It felt significantly better. I think half the battle is not knowing what to expect.
                              When I took a ChiRunning class they said to spend the last mile riding just pulling up on your pedals and no pushing down. This will give your quads a break in preparation for the run. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.