Getting quicker as the run goes on (Read 109 times)

robertaajr

So I just started running about two weeks ago and I seem to start out a lot slower and finish a lot quicker and stronger. I don't have a clue why i'm slow and tired in the beginning and I seem to grow stronger toward the end. My time on my third mile was about a minute less than my second mile. I want to keep an average pace of less than 8. I'm about 8:15 right now, how can I work to keep my average less than 8:00 if not faster?

So I just started running about two weeks ago and I seem to start out a lot slower and finish a lot quicker and stronger. I don't have a clue why i'm slow and tired in the beginning and I seem to grow stronger toward the end. My time on my third mile was about a minute less than my second mile. I want to keep an average pace of less than 8. I'm about 8:15 right now, how can I work to keep my average less than 8:00 if not faster?

I've found that as I get older, it takes me longer and longer to warm up. My first 1/2 to 1 mile is much slower than what I average for the entire run. I wouldn't worry about the pace of your first 1 or 2 miles.  Just use it as your warm up. If you're worried about what the watch says, don't start your watch until the 2nd or 3rd mile.

Still, I have to say that if your goal is to be a better runner, you shouldn't run the same "moderate" or "hard" pace every day. You might want to have some days closer to 9 mpm, and other days try to run part  of your runs much faster than 8's. Fartlek style or continuous... either way works. If you do that, you'll soon find the pace of all your easy days starts getting faster, but it's still an easy day.

robertaajr

I've found that as I get older, it takes me longer and longer to warm up. My first 1/2 to 1 mile is much slower than what I average for the entire run. I wouldn't worry about the pace of your first 1 or 2 miles.  Just use it as your warm up. If you're worried about what the watch says, don't start your watch until the 2nd or 3rd mile.

Still, I have to say that if your goal is to be a better runner, you shouldn't run the same "moderate" or "hard" pace every day. You might want to have some days closer to 9 mpm, and other days try to run part  of your runs much faster than 8's. Fartlek style or continuous... either way works. If you do that, you'll soon find the pace of all your easy days starts getting faster, but it's still an easy day.

What is considered a long run? What are all the different types of workouts? I can definitely try to increase my speed on someday's, it just would be tough to keep that pace for several miles. I'm a really new to running on a consistent basis but it's exciting and fun. I will take all the advice I can get. Thanks

an amazing likeness

Robert....pick your favorite sport....let's use something like NFL...have you ever noticed that the players warm up for over an hour before the game?  They do some dynamic stretching, they jog easy, the go from low intensity stuff early on to all-out explosive workouts at the end. They don't come out of the locker room and go 100% first thing, and neither should you. It takes time to get your body ready for the hard part of the workout.

"Increases body temperature. Warming up reduces the potential for muscle and connective injuries. Increases blood flow to exercising muscles. The more blood that reaches the muscles, the easier the delivery of nutrients required for energy production."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

What is considered a long run? What are all the different types of workouts? I can definitely try to increase my speed on someday's, it just would be tough to keep that pace for several miles. I'm a really new to running on a consistent basis but it's exciting and fun. I will take all the advice I can get. Thanks

Yes, you wouldn't want to run your entire run at the much faster pace.You'll quickly get worn out, injured, and possibly hate running if you do.

You've asked a lot in just a couple questions. I suggest looking at some of the cookie cutter training programs and how the mileage and intensity varies from day to day (or peak at other's training logs).  W/out going into a lot of detail, because I don't have the time, one way to start running faster is to throw in some 20sec to 60sec pickups during your regular run. At the end of the time period, resume your normal easy pace until you're no longer breathing heavy (lather, rinse, repeat a few times).  Do this a few times/week each week adding more reps or time to the amount of faster running.  Eventually you can extend it to a mile or two of continuous faster running.  A good rule of thumb is that your weekly long run is 20 to 25% of your weekly mileage.

Paul in the Peaks

given your targets i would find a 5k or 10k race to enter then download a programme from a running website or magazine to follow. You will soon start to feel what works for you as you step up the mileage. I only started 12 weeks ago and it worked great for me. Take a look at my history to get an idea.

I love running - after the event...

Full: 3:59:26

Half 1:39

15k 1:17

10k 48:24

5k 22.18

Paul in the Peaks

plus great advice off this forum of course...

I love running - after the event...

Full: 3:59:26

Half 1:39

15k 1:17

10k 48:24

5k 22.18

NHLA

When you start running look at your watch when you get in the groove.

Work on cutting that time down by running 800s with short rest breaks.