Cleveland Marathon? (Read 119 times)

ELnEC

I'll admit I looked up information on the Ottawa Marathon, which is next weekend.  But, I think I'll just start mentally preparing myself for this sufferfest.

Ottawa puts on a solid marathon (think there are still spots).

Ottawa weather often similar to US Northeast.  Long range forecast calling for cool (14C or so in am, rising to18C -- think that translates to low- to mid-60s), rainy weather on marathon day.   But forecasts can change, and we have had some scorchers on that weekend.

Julia1971

Ottawa puts on a solid marathon (think there are still spots).

Ottawa weather often similar to US Northeast.  Long range forecast calling for cool (14C or so in am, rising to18C -- think that translates to low- to mid-60s), rainy weather on marathon day.   But forecasts can change, and we have had some scorchers on that weekend.

My fear is that I switch and then end up with similarly bad weather.  LOL!

But, yes, I've heard good things about Ottawa and it's actually on my list of potential future marathons.

I'm happy to wrap up this racing season.  I had an okay time at Boston considering the conditions and ran a good half marathon back in March.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

FYI: https://www.maritimemarathon.org/

Milwaukee,WI

Flat,fast and BQ. BQ I am sure you do not need. June 9th.

My fear is that I switch and then end up with similarly bad weather.  LOL!

But, yes, I've heard good things about Ottawa and it's actually on my list of potential future marathons.

I'm happy to wrap up this racing season.  I had an okay time at Boston considering the conditions and ran a good half marathon back in March.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Oh, if we are making alternate suggestions - Newport (OR) Marathon on 6/1 is flat & fast, and usually still reasonably cool weather at the Oregon coast. Plus they offer oyster shooters along the course. 

Dave

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Oh, if we are making alternate suggestions - Newport (OR) Marathon on 6/1 is flat & fast, and usually still reasonably cool weather at the Oregon coast. Plus they offer oyster shooters along the course. 

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Julia1971

Thanks runnerclay and Dave PNW but I'm good.  It's been a long training cycle - 22 weeks?  I'm ready to make tomorrow my last hurrah before resting for a bit.

shu_runner

Good luck tomorrow!  I hope for more crowd support and music with the low chance of rain.  The last few years the crowd support was pretty weak.

Thanks runnerclay and Dave PNW but I'm good.  It's been a long training cycle - 22 weeks?  I'm ready to make tomorrow my last hurrah before resting for a bit.

I never do more than 12 weeks anymore. Although for Boston I did an 8-week mini-HM cycle dovetailing right into the start of the marathon cycle, so...I guess not much different.

Good luck!

Dave

Julia1971

Good luck tomorrow!  I hope for more crowd support and music with the low chance of rain.  The last few years the crowd support was pretty weak.

Good luck to you, too!!!

Julia1971

I never do more than 12 weeks anymore. Although for Boston I did an 8-week mini-HM cycle dovetailing right into the start of the marathon cycle, so...I guess not much different.

Good luck!

Thanks!  Yes, it was 18 weeks for Boston plus 4 for Cleveland.  I'm done after tomorrow!  W00t!

Julia1971

(Experiencing the posting bug someone wrote about...)

On my all time list of tough races, this is definitely up there. During the back half of the race, one of those time and temperature signs said it was 84 degrees! The spectators were amazing - giving us water (or beer) and spraying us with hoses. They saved us today.  When I wasn't worried about passing out, I admired the beautiful houses in West Cleveland and views of downtown and Lake Erie. When I crossed the finish line, I felt so terrible that I almost sat in a wheelchair. I lingered in the area for fear I would pass out. 

My time was 3:57:09 (9:02 pace).  Only my second slowest thanks to last year's Boston Marathon. Smile I was probably Top 10 in my age group - a couple of missed mats in the rankings ahead of me,which I'm guessing are runners who called it a day.

Full race report to come!

shu_runner, How'd you do out there? I skipped the beer garden. I didn't think beer would be smart feeling as bad as I did.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

22 week training cycle? WOW! Hope the race went as planned.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

shu_runner

I did okay considering the heat.  I stayed conservative after seeing so many people down on the course.  I feel just awful about the 22-year-old woman who died within a mile of the finish.  Just awful.  Sorry the weather turned out to be awful for your race, but I hope you had a good time in the city!

Julia1971

I did okay considering the heat.  I stayed conservative after seeing so many people down on the course.  I feel just awful about the 22-year-old woman who died within a mile of the finish.  Just awful.  Sorry the weather turned out to be awful for your race, but I hope you had a good time in the city!

I saw that news.  22 years old.  Heartbreaking.

The sounds of ambulances during the first hour of the race was very worrisome.  I saw at least two people getting treatment.  But then, it seemed pretty quite during the out-and-back for the marathoners.

I'm in town for a few more hours.  Gonna shuffle around Tremont and the West Market before heading home.

Julia1971

Just posted my race report.  (As always, there's a tl; dr version at the bottom of the page.)

The weather forecast in Ottawa looks great. Wink  Off for my first post-race jog...