Knee / IT band pain -- does it get better ? (Read 3005 times)

shonan marathon, girl

i had ITknee pain during my first two years of running. what i learned is that it was due to my bad posture and not striking with my midfoot while i was running. once i learned good posture, how to run properly, and how to concentrate on my inner core stomach muscles, and elongate my upper torso, the knee pain went away. this is just my experience.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Due to a reccomendation from a local runner I diligently worked a routine of 3x per day of naproxen (dont know why but this worked much better than ibuprofen), this stretch: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html , and icing for 15 minutes (I used a bag of frozen shelled peas, could form them to fit around my knee real well), it went away in a week.
      I suffered an IT band injury last summer a week after a half marathon during an ill-advised 5K. Went out blistering fast (for me) inexplicably and had to walk it in. I reinjured it again during the Human Race 10K over Labor Day. I basically lost September due to this and never really got my mojo back in the Fall, though I still ran/walk a couple of half marathons. Kept my fitness level up by competing in Indoor Triathalons during the winter. FINALLY, I started following the above routine and when I started running in January, I REALLY slowed it down. By going very slowly, I'm finally back and in fact, running farther than ever before (given up being concerned about my times). Still follow the above routine occasionally when it's stiff. Whoever invented frozen peas should be given sainthood. Hang in there.
      March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
        Starting to run short 3 milers with plenty of stretching during the run now. Is it possible to overstretch? Sometimes over the course of a day I do four or five cycles of foam roller, IT band stretch from above, pigeon pose, and another stretch. I always follow up with icing by frozen peas. I'm a little hesitant with the naproxen from hearing about kidney issues in other threads. Do you guys take it before you run?

Old, Slow, Happy

Starting to run short 3 milers with plenty of stretching during the run now. Is it possible to overstretch? Sometimes over the course of a day I do four or five cycles of foam roller, IT band stretch from above, pigeon pose, and another stretch. I always follow up with icing by frozen peas. I'm a little hesitant with the naproxen from hearing about kidney issues in other threads. Do you guys take it before you run?
          I'm doing the same as you. I run 4 miles evey other day then complete my "run" at the gym on the elliptical. I had all kinds of issues. One of my resulting issues was IT Band and Quad issues on the side opposite of my runners knee. The PT gave me some IT band stretches that worked well. He, also, gave me some quad stretches that really hurt. My leg started to get better when I stopped the quad stretches. I'd say, just be sure the stretches don't hurt. It is not true that more pain is more gain. I tried the naproxen. It didn't do much for me. I'm much better off using ibuprofen. I usually take it three days and then stop for a week. I seem to heal al little more each time. The pain is slightly less. Good Luck with your running!!

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Been listening to Trent on the kidney/ibuprofen thing and only use ibuprofen on days I don't run AND do not use it the day before or after the long runs. But, follow the stretching and foam roller pretty regularly. If I'm on the treadmill, I stop for 30-60 second each 1.5 miles to stretch a little. It is helping A LOT.
            March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)

an amazing likeness

Well, since I started this back in early March...thought I'd report back. No expectations that anyone was waiting with bated breath to see how it work out....

Clearly, as can be seen throughout the thread as folks shared their personal experiences, there is no one solution -- everyone seems to work to find what works for them.

For me, the ibuprofen and other otc medications were not a preferred approach as I try to avoid medications when reasonable.  I did try a shoe change, but that didn't prove to be a factor for me -- I didn't expect it would as I hadn't made any sort of shoe change recently near the time I started to struggle.

In early March, I started making sure to never run past the point of any pain.  At any knee pain, I stopped and walked it in.  I focused my stretching on the quads on the bad side.  I stayed with the foam roller.  I gave up some personal safety and was careful about managing my running line to avoid heavy road camber. I added an icing routine.

Slowly things came around and I was able to start adding back mileage. Towards the end of April I experimented with longer runs.  In May I was able to get back to more normal mileage levels and was actually able to log a tick over 200 miles with some runs over 10 miles.  Just a twinge of knee pain towards the end of the month, so I back off a few days.

For me, I don't think it is 'all better', I have to pay attention all the time, and each run still has a 'knee management' constant mental note in it, that's what I miss the most is just the carefree 'go for a run'.

My thanks to everyone who shared their story and advice, you gave me some good insights that have helped.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

For me, I don't think it is 'all better', I have to pay attention all the time, and each run still has a 'knee management' constant mental note in it, that's what I miss the most is just the carefree 'go for a run'.

I am in the same boat.  I am doing intervals, and am scared to death I'll reinjure it.   I am running 4 miles now, but with 2 one minute walk breaks.  It's so tedious. 

I too long for the carefree days of running.   My knee feels "almost healed"   but there are times out of the blue I feel it.   Even if I'm not running. Not quite pain, but an uncomfortable "twinge"...

Good luck and hopefully over time it will fully disappear, but I fear mine will always be right there waiting to strike.  

- Anya

an amazing likeness

My running is driven more by a desire for health and quality of life, rather than a pure love of running. I do enjoy it: the competition of an occasional race, the being outside battling the elements, the challenge of constantly improving in some manner, the mental health impact. At the same time, I'm questioning whether being in some level of pain nearly all the time is really a reasonable trade-off. 

I'm conflicted. * shrug *

Hope things go well for you Anya.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

My running is driven more by a desire for health and quality of life, rather than a pure love of

Hope things go well for you Anya.

Thanks!  You too.      One thing I know, is, when I don't run, I am very up tight.   It really helps me relax.  So, I know what you mean, I don't love it per say, but I seem to need it. 

I'm too big of a sissy to run with pain. I don't know how you can do it.  I cringe thinking of my IT Band pain. .  I avoid all uneven pavement, and get sick to my stomach sometimes thinking about sharp turns or running too fast.   Be careful!

- Anya

ud32

Hi Andy I haven't had experience with ITB problems but my wife has. She struggled with it for months before finding a physio that as well as stretching and massage got her doing lunges and squats to strengthen her legs. Within a month her pain had all but gone. She found that whenever she stopped the exercises the pain would come back within weeks, so now she weight trains at least twice a week making sure she includes squats and lunges each session. Everyone is different so I don't know if it will help you or not, but it may be worth a try. My "favourite" leg exercise is the Bulgarian Split Squat. I don't use dumbbells and totally shred my legs - I can barely walk after 3 sets of 20 reps on each leg. But I'm rather weak and pasty Smile

So when can one start these exercises ? Do you have to be pain free ? I just hurt my knee/IT band today - how long before I shoud start an exercise like this ?