Trying to get a log going... (Read 1477 times)

FWIW, I set my 305 display to show me three fields:

• "Time--Lap" in bigger font in the top half of the display;
    • "Time--Last Lap" in the lower left corner; and
    • "Heart rate" ('cause I like to see it) in the lower right corner.

I don't use the Pace feature, as it's too inaccurate for shorter repeats.  When I'm doing 1000 repeats, for example, I don't care about pace -- I have a time target that I'm working to hit, so I just want to see the time I ran so I can compare it to target.

If you know what your target time is for, say, a 400 or 600, you can easily know what the 200m split should be, then glance down at 200 and check it.  (But don't press Lap at 200 when you're doing 1000 repeats!) 

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

On the 3 displays available on my Garmin 205, I set the following:

1: 4x for training runs.  Time of Day, Pace, Distance, Time

2  3x for races:  Time; Distance, Pace

3: 3x: for track:  Current lap time, Number of laps,  Last lap

For training I set autolap for 1 mile.  For races and track workouts I disable autolap and use the Garmin as a stopwatch, i.e. manual lap.

Questions for the OP:  

- Why are your laps set to 0.25 miles?  For the Average Pace readout?

- Why do you have log entries for 0.01 miles on days off?  Just leave the day blank...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

uncontrollable

I didn't always set at .25 but I hate waiting for a mile to go by to see if I'm on pace ... I would rather be able to adjust before I sabotage the whole mile.  I am planning to put it back to 1 mile but I am such a fartleker by nature that I find it challenging to get in a very consistent pace.  I don't necessarily look at it every quarter but if I am feeling sluggish and/or winded - I like to see if it is truly due to pace and do something about it.

I know - odd, the 0.1 - however, I like to put in a little note for my day off (how I am feeling, whether I cross trained, or if I did something that would affect my next run ... like drink a case of beer LOL) and it didn't seem to allow me to make any kind of note unless I had a "time" or "distance" filled in!

peace

You can put in a note on days off as either an "Event Entry" or a "Health Note" from the same drop down that creates a new run entry.  That might suit your need.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

uncontrollable

Great!  Thx!

peace

I didn't always set at .25 but I hate waiting for a mile to go by to see if I'm on pace ... I would rather be able to adjust before I sabotage the whole mile.  I am planning to put it back to 1 mile but I am such a fartleker by nature that I find it challenging to get in a very consistent pace.  I don't necessarily look at it every quarter but if I am feeling sluggish and/or winded - I like to see if it is truly due to pace and do something about it.

Even if you're a human metronome, your pace is going to vary naturally as the terrain varies.  The shorter you set your lap window, the more erratic your pace will appear on your Garmin.  Everyone's different, but I just set for 1-mile auto-laps and judge my pace/effort by (a) feel and (b) heart rate.  If I've started daydreaming about races and sped up a little, at last one of those indicators will be affected (and usually more rapidly than the Garmin can react).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

uncontrollable

I want to be a metronome.  But for today - I have reset to one mile auto lap.  I'm heading out to embrace my human predicament.  

peace

A Saucy Wench

I know - odd, the 0.1 - however, I like to put in a little note for my day off (how I am feeling, whether I cross trained, or if I did something that would affect my next run ... like drink a case of beer LOL) and it didn't seem to allow me to make any kind of note unless I had a "time" or "distance" filled in!

And if you Xtrain you can enter the info on that as a separate activity.  You can add other activities other than run.  You can be detailed "elliptical"  "yoga" or you could just create an activity called "Xtrain" and then just log time on it and notes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

In honor of the season.

Trying to get a log going?

Yule be sorry.

Have some figgy pudding.

my immediate thought was a crude response, just based on just the subject line, and my next thought was about what witty crude response srlopez had posted...and here we are

Big grin

uncontrollable

I have a nursing story that involves  choosing 'yule log' to describe the most inhuman event I have ever witnessed.  Due to HIPPA I am unable to share any further details.  Honestly, I don't think you could probably handle it - even if you got past the "that can't possibly be true" part.  Oh, I am blessed with my career choice.

peace

I have a nursing story that involves  choosing 'yule log' to describe the most inhuman event I have ever witnessed.  Due to HIPPA I am unable to share any further details.  Honestly, I don't think you could probably handle it - even if you got past the "that can't possibly be true" part.  Oh, I am blessed with my career choice.

Now you're just being a tease.  I'm sure you can swap names to maintain confidentiality, right?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek