Garmin 305 Addiction (Read 2021 times)

I never had you pegged for a GPS guy. I've just got this vision of you, kinda grey with a beard sitting in a comfy chair with like 30 or 40 kids of about 9-12 years old sitting on the floor in front of you. "Kids these days! You kids got it so easy! We never had any Garmins or technical fabric when I was your age! We ran in deer skin! That we ran down and skinned ourselves! And we ran SLOW!. We didn't do any of that fancy schmancy speedwork! We HAD to run slow - you try running fast with a big stone sundial to track your pace! And we carved our splits on stone tablets!"
    Hey Mr I, No beard. I like to think of my hair as turning from light blonde to a lighter shade of blonde--OK grey. The chair works. Replace the 30-40 9-12 yr olds--with my 3 grandsons(8-13 yr olds). Add my 3 daughters(43,41 and 34) and you got the picture. My wife gave up listening to me decades ago. Actually--so did my daughters. I may still have the attention of the grandsons though. Keep moving. Nick
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

My wife gave up listening to me decades ago.
      Not bad, most often women don't listen much past the "I dos" Glad you found your way over here. I'm still trying to track down some of the other heavy hitters from post apocalyptic CR.
        I am considering getting one myself. I am concerned that it will accentuate how I feel. A, it will reiterate how bad I feel and I will turn around before I normally would, or B, I will subconciously race and run faster than I should. Does anyone have that problem?
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

I am considering getting one myself. I am concerned that it will accentuate how I feel. A, it will reiterate how bad I feel and I will turn around before I normally would, or B, I will subconciously race and run faster than I should. Does anyone have that problem?
          No, I haven't noticed that. It has helped me a lot as a new runner trying to increase my running distance. BG (Before Garmin), I obsessed about time - "Oh, my gosh, I've run 32 minutes already, I can't go any longer!" Now I decide ahead of time how far I want to run (4 miles today), and mainly look at the Garmin to see how far I've gone. Since I got it for Christmas, I haven't stopped running once during a run. That's saying a lot for me! I should add, though, that when I let my 15-year-old son borrow it (if he's REALLY nice to me), he said he feels like he has to "beat it" when he sees his pace, so your second point is definitely valid for some runners.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that I will look at my pace out of curiosity...kind of a "hmmm...I feel faster/slower than that." I really like running for distance, now, as much as for time. Especially as part of a "Pace Bunny" group. If I know I want to run X miles in a day it's easier to pace myself to go a particular distance during a training run, rather than trying to cram as many miles into a given time frame. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No. I find that it has taught me to pace myself more evenly. It's also helping me to learn which paces equate to the simpler categories of easy, moderate, and hard.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I do. I've seen race reports where people run by their HR levels but I generally go by pace. I think they're most useful to keep from running too fast early on longer race distances.
                Ditto to that. I used it Sunday in my first marathon to help me keep track of my run/walk intervals and to keep me from going out too fast. Hi my name is Terie and I'm a Garmin 305 addict.
                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                  How funny, I just wrote a diatribe about my Garmin Addiction last month. www.girl-in-motion.com/garmin-addiction I'm feeling much better about it these days, since I know I can ignore it if need be Big grin, but I still find it the most valuable training tool on the planet. While I'd like to work on better internal pace calculations, I'm waiting for the 405 to drop the 205 price to $100 so I can get a backup, lol.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had driven 5 minutes or so from my house this morning to run with a group downtown, when I realized I'd left my 305 at home. #*$(@ So of course I turned around and drove home to get it! I'm glad I did, because we ran a different route, through several neighborhoods, and I would have had no idea when I reached 4 miles. I'm not good yet at figuring out my pace. Teresa

Bugs

I love my garmin 205 too. I was at a race where someone was asking how my marathon went. I went to the history on my watch, went to the date, show'd him my splits. Very cool to have so much detail in that little computer sitting on my wrist. I've gotten so addicted to the log data now I wish I had the 305 but am telling myself that would be nuts. Surprised the 405 does not have all the features of the 305.

Bugs