UNC - Chapel Hill Male Exercise and Libido Study (Read 174 times)

coleary

My name is Colin O'Leary and I am Master's student in the Exercise and Sport Science department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Follow the below link to take an online survey about the effects of physical exercise and training load on sexual libido in adult males conduct through the UNC Exercise and Sport Science department. The survey should only take 5-10 minutes to complete. Please only do so if you are a male between the ages of 18-80 that regularly participates in endurance activities, such as running, walking, biking, or swimming. Thank you!

https://unc.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eWESbBdaONSuUPb

an amazing likeness

How are you compensating the owner of RunningAhead for providing you access to a source of runners and their data?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Should we be truthful in our answers?  Because, honestly, I have a desire to a screw with your study.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

mikeymike

Go Friars!

Runners run

I was just thinking about the next post, on the list."You haven't lived until you've pooped your pants, while running". Sooo... I am usually heading elsewhere after a run, rather than to the bedroom...

gpb

Colin,

I don't intend to be rude but you do know that your survey results will be essentially meaningless, right?

You're only sampling "people who choose to go take an Internet survey" and have no control over whether they are or aren't male and are/or aren't at least 18.  See: Self-Selection Bias

Even worse, an impersonal Internet survey is just begging for people to give bogus answers, so not only is the sample suspect but the data is likely to be littered with intentionally false answers.  

If you're seeking real information rather than just a data set, you're probably going to need to do it the old fashioned way.

Kalsarikännit

Uh oh, boys.

http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/6/424.full

Conclusions—The results suggest that the basal activity of the pineal gland, adrenal glands, and testis may be decreased after consecutive days of intense, long term exercise.

Useful info for any of the guys who may be considering just dropping on in to one of the Grand Tours.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

ultramarathon/triathlete

Colin,

I don't intend to be rude but you do know that your survey results will be essentially meaningless, right?

You're only sampling "people who choose to go take an Internet survey" and have no control over whether they are or aren't male and are/or aren't at least 18.  See: Self-Selection Bias

Even worse, an impersonal Internet survey is just begging for people to give bogus answers, so not only is the sample suspect but the data is likely to be littered with intentionally false answers.  

If you're seeking real information rather than just a data set, you're probably going to need to do it the old fashioned way.

But you also realize there is a multi billion dollar industry based on internet/email surveys, right?  It's safe to say that nearly every single brand you come in contact with has made serious business decisions based on eSurvey data.  If it didn't work, the industry would have crashed a decade or more ago.

But you're right, this is not the way to conduct an internet survey.   I keep saying this to people who post here, but of course they don't have the decency to return to see what we write.  I did take the survey though, and I was thinking dirty dirty thoughts the whole time, lol

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

mikeymike

But you also realize there is a multi billion dollar industry based on internet/email surveys, right?

But you also realize there is a big difference between marketing surveys and actual science, right?

Runners run

jfa

Uh oh, boys.

http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/6/424.full

Conclusions—The results suggest that the basal activity of the pineal gland, adrenal glands, and testis may be decreased after consecutive days of intense, long term exercise.

Useful info for any of the guys who may be considering just dropping on in to one of the Grand Tours.

Shrinkage.

Those are bikers though.

spinach

But you also realize there is a big difference between marketing surveys and actual science, right?

But you also realize that the guy is trying to get a teaching job or trying to get a degree or something and there is a lot of nonsense in academia.

xhristopher

With questions like below take it you are posting here because everyone at UNC answered simply answered yes to being a horndog.

MTA: The table fell apart. I'm not gonna fix it.

<fieldset>

I think only rarely about sex.

• <input id="QR~QID1~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID1" type="radio" value="QR~QID1~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID1~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID1" type="radio" value="QR~QID1~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID1~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID1" type="radio" value="QR~QID1~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

It doesn't take much to get me sexual aroused.

• <input id="QR~QID2~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID2" type="radio" value="QR~QID2~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID2~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID2" type="radio" value="QR~QID2~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID2~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID2" type="radio" value="QR~QID2~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

I think about some aspects of sex every day.

• <input id="QR~QID3~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID3" type="radio" value="QR~QID3~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID3~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID3" type="radio" value="QR~QID3~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID3~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID3" type="radio" value="QR~QID3~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

Sometimes sexual feelings overpower me.

• <input id="QR~QID4~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID4" type="radio" value="QR~QID4~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID4~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID4" type="radio" value="QR~QID4~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID4~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID4" type="radio" value="QR~QID4~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

I frequently fantasize about erotic situations.

• <input id="QR~QID5~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID5" type="radio" value="QR~QID5~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID5~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID5" type="radio" value="QR~QID5~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID5~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID5" type="radio" value="QR~QID5~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

I only get aroused at night - never in the daytime.

• <input id="QR~QID6~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID6" type="radio" value="QR~QID6~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID6~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID6" type="radio" value="QR~QID6~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID6~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID6" type="radio" value="QR~QID6~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

Physical attraction is extremely important to me.

• <input id="QR~QID7~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID7" type="radio" value="QR~QID7~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID7~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID7" type="radio" value="QR~QID7~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID7~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID7" type="radio" value="QR~QID7~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

I would like to make love, have sex, more often.

• <input id="QR~QID8~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID8" type="radio" value="QR~QID8~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID8~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID8" type="radio" value="QR~QID8~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID8~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID8" type="radio" value="QR~QID8~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

I feel frustrated due to the lack of sex.

• <input id="QR~QID9~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID9" type="radio" value="QR~QID9~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID9~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID9" type="radio" value="QR~QID9~2" /><label>Maybe</label>

• <input id="QR~QID9~3" class="radio" name="QR~QID9" type="radio" value="QR~QID9~3" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

I masturbate every day.

• <input id="QR~QID10~1" class="radio" name="QR~QID10" type="radio" value="QR~QID10~1" /><label>Yes</label>

• <input id="QR~QID10~2" class="radio" name="QR~QID10" type="radio" value="QR~QID10~2" /><label>No</label>

</fieldset>

<input id="PreviousButton" title=" &lt;&lt; " name="PreviousButton" type="submit" value=" &lt;&lt; " /><input id="NextButton" title=" &gt;&gt; " name="NextButton" type="submit" value=" &gt;&gt; " />

mikeymike

But you also realize that the guy is trying to get a teaching job or trying to get a degree or something and there is a lot of nonsense in academia.

Oh for sure.

And my response was basically begging for someone to quote it and say, "But you also realize that there is a huge difference between Exercise and Sport Science and actual science, right?" (In fact I almost quoted myself but I knew when to stop.)

Runners run

Colin,

There are things such as scientific surveys, which are imperfect of course especially when  you are dealing with sensitive aspects  human behavior.

A good approach would be to design a stratified random sampling survey. (this can be done after the fact too--stratify according to response to the question of how much mileage do you do). To make it valid the investigator should aim for a 70 percent response rate (60+/- is acceptable, lower than that the data would be suspect). And they would need to do a follow-up survey of non-respondents to determine if there is a non-response bias.

How many do you select for survey--that depends on variance--but 500 to 1000 questionnaires with a 10% to 20% follow up on non-respondents would get you some statistically valid numbers.

What does "Sometimes sexual feelings overpower me" mean? It sounds like these people definitely shouldn't be driving or operating heavy machinery.