Victoria BC, Half Marathon (October 8th, 2006) (Read 976 times)

Well a wet day greeted many people to the Royal Victoria BC Marathon. I took on the first half marathon of my running 'career'. I was up early and headed down to the start, way too early as nerves got the better of me. As for preparation I had done a fair amount of running leading up to this. I had a plan but nothing too firm. The training was in beautiful dry weather and the race in nothing but rain so I was ill prepared overdressed and had issue with 'necessary' stops along the way. So to sum it up it was a great run the location, organization and execution was great. It was probably my worst run/race to date, but I did it and am aiming for my next. the Seattle Half awaits and I aim to improve my time quite dramatically. As always have fun whatever you do hope to see you out there. Simon Victoria Half Marathon (2006) 1:36 - - 260th/4027
    JakeKnight

Congrats - and awesome time for your first! I'd be happy with that time in the best of weather. And that weather sounds like a perfect warm-up for running in Seattle. Yes

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Great run for your first Half--and, in the top 10% of all runners.Well done! So, how do you like the half as a race?
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          For my first half marathon it was fun as I said it was a great locale. I enjoyed a few days vacation, especially doing nothing but walking around. The distance I think is perfect, its not too short to be a sprint but not too long to have your brain start its self sabotage routine. I am going to hit the Seattle Half hard and see what I can do although it is a very different course and usually a lot colder. Thanks for the feedback guys. S
          JakeKnight

Congrats - and awesome time for your first! I'd be happy with that time in the best of weather. And that weather sounds like a perfect warm-up for running in Seattle. Yes
            I should probably amend the above comment. Because it makes it sound like I'm actually capable of running that fast. I ain't. In any weather. That's 7:20 miles. That's 5-K pace for me. In the best of weather, I'd be hoping to break 1:50. So 1:36 ain't too shabby. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

I should probably amend the above comment. Because it makes it sound like I'm actually capable of running that fast. I ain't. In any weather. That's 7:20 miles. That's 5-K pace for me. In the best of weather, I'd be hoping to break 1:50. So 1:36 ain't too shabby. Smile
              Well I have been pretty much been a 'lifer' when it comes to running so as my own worse critic I know I can do better. I appreciate your rewording but really we all have goals and we can all make them Smile lets see what happens for the Seattle Half.. I am anxious to get the training done and the race run. If it rains I will not make the same mistakes. Smile I guess I should post my other run too. S