An Update on My Use of the 'Run Less, Run Faster' Program (Read 148 times)

It's been almost a year now since I've been doing this program.  I've mentioned it before and received torrents of criticism but I felt it worthwhile to do an update.  I know it's not for everyone but for those who have limited days for running or have had injuries running almost daily, it could be an option.

The key as with all running is listening carefully to one's body.  I posted about some minor injury concerns and appreciated the advice.  For instance, I battled some right hip sciatica and was advised to do strength training for that specific area.  I've slowly eased into squats and noticed an improvement almost immediately.  Now my sciatica has disappeared.  I've been very careful to up my running distances very gradually.

After keeping my long run at just over 9 miles for about five months, I'm now at 10.25 miles without problems.  I do a 6.2 mile tempo run once per week and my last one was done in 43:51 for a 7:04/mile pace.  I push on the tempo runs but don't go 100% all out.  For my third run, I don't do it exactly as prescribed by the 'Run Less, Run Faster' program.  They recommend a track interval workout but instead I've been doing around 8 miles with the first half easy and then doing fartlek for the second half with the intensity somewhat variable depending on how my body is feeling.  Once in a while I'll add a fourth run that is done at an easy pace.  This has become quite rare, however.

I was hoping to be racing this spring focusing on the 10K distance but that's obviously out for the time being.  I'm still really enjoying my training and seeing the marked improvement without being sidelined due to injury.  I have greatly curtailed the cycling cross-training component having only gone twice last month and none before that dating back to October.  As the weather improves, I hope to add one ride per week.  I do overall strength training which I think serves some cross-training purpose.

So, if other training plans aren't working for you, this might be an option to consider.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

rlopez

Well, if you went 100% all out, it wouldn't be a tempo run... so that's good.

Dropping intervals in favor of a combo easy/fartlek run means that you are not hammering your body nearly as much as RLRF tries to get you to do. Is that helping you avoid injury? I dunno. But I would suspect that the criticism that came up before was about all the intensity in RLRF not supported by a bigger base of easy running. And you are kind of skirting it, which is goodness.

Glad that you are feeling good and things are going well!

jeffdonahue

The key as with all running is listening carefully to one's body.  I posted about some minor injury concerns and appreciated the advice.  For instance, I battled some right hip sciatica and was advised to do strength training for that specific area.  I've slowly eased into squats and noticed an improvement almost immediately.  Now my sciatica has disappeared.  I've been very careful to up my running distances very gradually.

Can I ask what strength training exercises you did for the sciatica?

I have a recurring sciatica problem (that unfortunately is flaring up now) that i can usually keep at bay with stretching but it is still there right now.  I have tried to do squats and lunges before but always felt that doing those made it flare up even more.

Would love to hear what you did.

Thanks

Jeff

Well, if you went 100% all out, it wouldn't be a tempo run... so that's good.

Dropping intervals in favor of a combo easy/fartlek run means that you are not hammering your body nearly as much as RLRF tries to get you to do. Is that helping you avoid injury? I dunno. But I would suspect that the criticism that came up before was about all the intensity in RLRF not supported by a bigger base of easy running. And you are kind of skirting it, which is goodness.

Glad that you are feeling good and things are going well!

Thanks.

I think all training programs should be subject to personal feel.  To relentlessly keep a certain mileage total of pace intensity will almost always lead to injury if you're not monitoring what your body is telling you regarding its health.  I used to be an avid cyclist and injury was very uncommon no mattered how much I hammered.  Running is a different ballgame and I'm coming to a better understanding of how to listen to what my body is telling me.

I'm hoping I'm getting a similar training effect with the easy/fartlek run compared to track intervals.  I do that run and my long run on dirt so that helps as well.  I switched my tempo run to pavement for various reasons including social distancing.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

Can I ask what strength training exercises you did for the sciatica?

I have a recurring sciatica problem (that unfortunately is flaring up now) that i can usually keep at bay with stretching but it is still there right now.  I have tried to do squats and lunges before but always felt that doing those made it flare up even more.

Would love to hear what you did.

Thanks

Jeff

Here is the thread I started on the topic:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/96ec966c0b2a492896bc7a364d84b9b0/resume#focus

I continue to foam roll but as for the strength training, it's basically just squats both two legged and one legged.  I started with just my body weight and now I've gradually added a bit more weight by holding dumbbells.  Maybe you were using too much weight...?

Personal Records:

CalBears

It's been almost a year now since I've been doing this program.  I've mentioned it before and received torrents of criticism but I felt it worthwhile to do an update.  I know it's not for everyone but for those who have limited days for running or have had injuries running almost daily, it could be an option.

The key as with all running is listening carefully to one's body.  ...

The very last sentence is a key. Should be followed by everybody who is serious about consistent training. You are trying to make it sound like it's a part of RLRF - it is not! I consider RLRF as a very dangerous program if you follow all its directions to the letter - very injury prone. Running as much as your body can handle, taking days off as needed)and listening to your body - hence, adjusting your pace and intensity is the key to any training regimen. Again - this principle has nothing to do with RLRF.

After keeping my long run at just over 9 miles for about five months, I'm now at 10.25 miles without problems.  I do a 6.2 mile tempo run once per week and my last one was done in 43:51 for a 7:04/mile pace.  I push on the tempo runs but don't go 100% all out.  For my third run, I don't do it exactly as prescribed by the 'Run Less, Run Faster' program.  They recommend a track interval workout but instead I've been doing around 8 miles with the first half easy and then doing fartlek for the second half with the intensity somewhat variable depending on how my body is feeling.  Once in a while I'll add a fourth run that is done at an easy pace.  This has become quite rare, however.

Well... Above, you described some custom program made up by you for your needs specifically - the only common thing between what you are doing and RLRF program is the number of running days in both programs. So, congrats - you were smart enough to find a training that fits you and not just blindly follow some questionable program. 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I was hoping to be racing this spring focusing on the 10K distance but that's obviously out for the time being.  I'm still really enjoying my training and seeing the marked improvement without being sidelined due to injury.  I have greatly curtailed the cycling cross-training component having only gone twice last month and none before that dating back to October.  As the weather improves, I hope to add one ride per week.  I do overall strength training which I think serves some cross-training purpose.

So, if other training plans aren't working for you, this might be an option to consider.

So this isn’t really an update on the RLRF programme as you’ve customised it which is working for you and that’s a good thing. There are so many runners that take canned plans literally and stress out if they don’t hit a particular mileage/pace.

The one book I would recommend is “Run Faster” by Brad Hudson (how to be your own coach) it’s a great read and gives advice from 5k to marathon distance. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

It's true that I have amended the program to fit my needs but the basic premise of it is something that I've adhered to: 3 quality runs per week and eliminating easy runs.  I know proponents of other plans take offense to calling them "junk" miles as it's viewed as a pejorative.  I can understand that but this is what is working for me.  My third run, while not a track workout, is rarely 'easy' even though I sometime categorize it as such on my training log.  I also run my long run at a pace faster than other more traditional plans call for.  I'd say the same about my tempo run.

I take care to warm up and cool down.  I foam roll before and after.  I stretch only after runs.

I'm not saying RLRF is for everyone.  I'm sure high mileage, running almost every day plans work for some but my body benefits from complete rest days from any pounding.

I haven't determined what my very long range goals are.  My shorter term goals remain to beat my 10K time of 41:15 from when I was 18 and to run a half marathon at a fairly fast pace.

Personal Records:

CalBears

I'm not saying RLRF is for everyone. ...

Once again - what you are doing is not RLRF - doesn't matter if you say "the premise" is taken from it. What you are doing is some custom training plan - call it easy or call it not easy - it's all subjective - RLRF is a pretty strict program with recommended paces, pretty crazy and injury prone (mostly body not being adapted to mileage and intensity - due to luck of easy mileage). But glad whatever you are doing works for you and makes you happy.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Once again - what you are doing is not RLRF - doesn't matter if you say "the premise" is taken from it. What you are doing is some custom training plan - call it easy or call it not easy - it's all subjective - RLRF is a pretty strict program with recommended paces, pretty crazy and injury prone (mostly body not being adapted to mileage and intensity - due to luck of easy mileage). But glad whatever you are doing works for you and makes you happy.

I *am* hitting those paces for the long run and tempo run.

Personal Records:

Marky_Mark_17

I'm not saying RLRF is for everyone.  I'm sure high mileage, running almost every day plans work for some but my body benefits from complete rest days from any pounding.

Given that you've modified it and aren't really doing the cross-training, what you're doing is not really RLRF either.  By taking the third (and 4th) runs easy or based on feel, you're adapting it to what suits you - so fair enough and well done.

Strength training isn't really cross-training in the RLRF sense.  It can certainly help with strength, power and injury avoidance, but it's not going to help you aerobically - whereas RLRF crosstraining is generally some form of non-running aerobic exercise which largely substitutes for the easy mileage that is a core component of most running programmes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Given that you've modified it and aren't really doing the cross-training, what you're doing is not really RLRF either.  By taking the third (and 4th) runs easy or based on feel, you're adapting it to what suits you - so fair enough and well done.

Strength training isn't really cross-training in the RLRF sense.  It can certainly help with strength, power and injury avoidance, but it's not going to help you aerobically - whereas RLRF crosstraining is generally some form of non-running aerobic exercise which largely substitutes for the easy mileage that is a core component of most running programmes.

I was doing the cycling through October.  I think I was going too long though as the program calls for shorter rides.  I hope to reintroduce this soon.

I agree that adaptation is needed really with any program.  Not listening to your body and forcing yourself to meet a set mileage or pace is inviting injury.

Personal Records: