Near miss... with a moose! (Read 745 times)

Gotta TRI

So I'm no more than a 1/4 mile into my run, when all of a sudden about 20-30 feet in front of me a moose comes barrelling out of the woods and starts running down the road. It went about 50-100 feet and bailed off to the right into a clearing turned and watched me run by. One of the coolest things I've seen in my short running career.
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
    obiebyke

Whoa! Moose are SO big and protective of their young! You're lucky you didn't run between it and a calf! Wish there was more wildlife where I run... Jealous!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I once ran by a 4 foot snake and a gator not on the same run. Now a moose wow!!! I Love upstate NY I ran by deer all the time I miss it so! But a moose Shocked
          Wow - that is scary. I was in the woods with my father when I was a kid and a moose casually walked by. I was shaking in my boots.
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cool! What ISN'T cool is when one runs full-speed into your Tahoe! The state trooper said we were lucky we were in such a strong vehicle. We had safety glass shatter all over us, and DS got a little bit in his eye, but otherwise we were all fine. I was in the front passenger seat, and saw the head of the moose directly in front of the windshield just before the collision. His body swung around and damaged the full length of the car. We're still finding tiny pieces of glass, almost two years later.

Gotta TRI

Cool! What ISN'T cool is when one runs full-speed into your Tahoe! The state trooper said we were lucky we were in such a strong vehicle. We had safety glass shatter all over us, and DS got a little bit in his eye, but otherwise we were all fine. I was in the front passenger seat, and saw the head of the moose directly in front of the windshield just before the collision. His body swung around and damaged the full length of the car. We're still finding tiny pieces of glass, almost two years later.
              Wow! That must have been scary. I can imagine the damage an animal like that can do to even the biggest vehicle. Being "out in thewoods" where I live I have run into the occaisional deer, and actually 1 porcupine, but this moose was the coolest.
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                Wow, that's freaky. I'm headed for Alaska for 2 months this summer. I have heard I should be aware of them. Between the moose, bears, and wolves, I'm pretty excited to run. lol

- Anya

that wasn't a near miss.....that was a near HIT!!! Big grin
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Wow, that's freaky. I'm headed for Alaska for 2 months this summer. I have heard I should be aware of them. Between the moose, bears, and wolves, I'm pretty excited to run. lol
                    I saw a ton of moose up there in AK. No bears though Undecided Mosquitoes are bad news there!

Vim