Check your foot type before buying a shoe online (Read 85 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Credit of these images is to anyasreviews.com.

Feet come in all shapes and sizes, regrettably the industry only focuses on feet length.

For instance picking up the wrong shoe for your foot type may mean blisters on your toe nails.

Foot type:

Foot type

Foot volume:

https://anyasreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/What-is-Foot-volume-Anyas-Reviews-1091x1536.jpg

And picking up a low volume shoe when you have high volume feet means the shoe will strangle your feet.

Foot width:

Foot width

Lastly, most running shoe companies build shoes in the shape of a rocket and narrow, VERY narrow.

Thankfully there are brands like Altra and Topo for the people with extra wide feet like myself.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've got a wide "mountain" foot. Most D-width shoes work well for me, so I mostly wear women's wides (thanks, NB, for making all of your shoes in wide width, not just the heavy duty motion control ones) or men's shoes. Unfortunately a lot of men's shoes start at size 8, but I'm a men's 7.

My DH has a miserable time finding shoes. He has super high arches. This was an issue finding him dive fins, since a lot of the foot pockets are pretty shallow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Most people are aware of the their measured foot length and width.  There is a third variable - the arch length.  My own feet are size 10, but I have size 13 arch length, so my running shoes are size 13.  The standard device for measuring feet is the Brannock device: https://brannock.com/pages/instructions-fitting-tips.  Sadly, all too few shoe salesmen understand how to properly make these measurements.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mountain. Second toe longer than first/big toe.

Width is average or normal.

im guessing I have the model foot shoes are made for because not many bug me unless they’re some type of corrective shoe.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Ilynelson

link spam

From an older book describing different foot shapes, I added the shoe company shape:

May be an image of text that says 'Egyptían 1 Roman Greek 3 Germanic 4 Celtíc 5 Shoe Company Foot'

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

earntodiessaz

In the online communities that I have discovered, the monkey mart provides users with helpful suggestions for how they might amuse themselves and discover new and exciting things.