Running for Distance or Time? (Read 157 times)

BobScott

Big picture training question here: Do you all run your easy/long days for a set distance or for a set time? I've been back running for a year now and have always been doing plans by miles. After doing some reading I am really interested in the idea of running for 80 minutes on Sunday instead of X amount of miles. What are the thoughts around one vs. the other from all your great runners out there? Has anyone switched from one to the other and found one much better for them?

an amazing likeness

Time.  For me, it helps keep me from pushing the effort up from easy as a result of being fixated on hitting a specific mile marker.

mta:  Just to illustrate how individual this is...compared to stadjak's note -- I do much better with "I'm heading out to run 90min..." than "10 miles" or whatever.  90 minutes is a couple podcasts. 10 miles is forever.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zebano

Mostly time with some obvious exceptions. If I run around a lake, we'll I've got to finish even if my 90 minutes are up.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Purely psychologically, I find running by time demoralizing.  In my head it means that no matter how hard I work, I cannot end a bad run sooner by effort.  There is no visual finish-line to imagine -- to break down into achievable physical markers.  Yep, I could try to warp my mind into "just 3 more minutes!", but I'm just not wired that way.  Would rather, "Just to that stop sign."

I would readily agree to do 2 miles more than agree to do a run determined by time.

YMMV, or rather YTMV.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

delicate flower

I do both.  If I am just running, it's miles.  If I have a workout to follow, it's minutes.  Last Sunday I had 16 miles.  This past Sunday, I had two hours with tempo intervals.

<3

CalBears

Distance. I am a believer in that if you run a distance time will eventually follow. Of course, if you run a lot of time, then it doesn't matter Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Resident Historian

Distance.  but I keep track of weekly total time for all training. 

Stadjak's "YTMV" 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I switched to running by time and saw my race results starting to challenge my PRs. I listen to my body more when running by time. Hammering a run just to hit a specific mile marker on a day I'm not in the right mindset doesn't help. Running by time allows me to push more on days I feel like it and dial back on the days where I need the easier pace. It doesn't mean I don't have an idea of what my mileage will be, but it has made me a better runner. (And yes, I do track both time and distance on my log, but I write training plans by time.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve always been a feel runner rather than a robotic numbers guy that has to do a certain distance at a certain pace regardless of how I’m feeling on the day.

I do go by distance rather than time, but I don’t think it’s a big deal either way. An 80min easy run for me would be around 10 miles...if I’m feeling a bit sluggish then it might take me 82min.....if I’ve got a spring in my step then maybe 78min....not really something that I’m going to get overly concerned about.

With tempo/marathon paced runs I might extend the w/u if I get the vibe that’s its going to be a good run....which will therefore increase both time and distance. And visa versa, sometimes I’ll cut a workout short.

So basically, it’s just personal choice. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

BobScott

I’ve always been a feel runner rather than a robotic numbers guy that has to do a certain distance at a certain pace regardless of how I’m feeling on the day.

I do go by distance rather than time, but I don’t think it’s a big deal either way. An 80min easy run for me would be around 10 miles...if I’m feeling a bit sluggish then it might take me 82min.....if I’ve got a spring in my step then maybe 78min....not really something that I’m going to get overly concerned about.

With tempo/marathon paced runs I might extend the w/u if I get the vibe that’s its going to be a good run....which will therefore increase both time and distance. And visa versa, sometimes I’ll cut a workout short.

So basically, it’s just personal choice. 👍

Thanks for this input. Yes, it seems like this question may be a matter of personal taste (like how one prefers their steak. I'm a med rare guy).

I've never tried planning around timed runs, but I'd like to give it a shot and see if it does anything for me. I do see the pros and cons of each. I have always been that personal whose checking his watch to ensure my run goes from 6.99 miles to 7.00 to stop running. That seems silly to me in hindsight, so maybe the minutes thing makes some sense to that end. Your body knows how long you've been running but not how far it seems.

Like you said, My runs are going to be very, very close to the same time/distance no matter which one I use as an easy run for me is going to be within say 15-30 seconds per mile so it could go from 49 minutes to 51:30. Not a big difference. PS, you're fast as hell. Impressive times!

Distance. Mainly for convenience.

But I also know how many miles = how many minutes more or less.

A "long run" is anything over 10 miles or 90 minutes, whichever comes first.

For pure physiological purpose of training, time spent at particular levels of effort is a more controlled form of training than going for X-amount of miles at X-pace. Strapping on power meters, blood oxy sensors, HR monitors, etc. to achieve a prescribed effort for a prescribed amount of time thought to be optimum for your training schedule would be "best" but hardly enjoyable. And the amount of time and experimentation to discover "what is best" for you would be never ending.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Half Crazy K 2.0

Depends. If the purpose of the run is a really easy day, mostly time. Workouts are usually by distance. If I'm on the treadmill, I do everything by time because my treadmill's measuring is questionable at best.

GinnyinPA

For easy/long runs when I'm not in race training mode, I give myself a range of possible mileage i.e. 6-8 for an easy run, 12-14 for a long one. I don't have a lot of route options when I run from my house, so the difference is usually how many cul de sacs I decide to run or skipping a short street if I am tired. On a good day, I do all the little extras. On a bad day, I just run the basic 6 or 12. Most of my routes are loops or lollipops. Running by time would work for me only if I was doing out and backs but I don't like to repeat myself, especially since I'rn doing  the same routes so often.

skim1124

Running to eat

Purely psychologically, I find running by time demoralizing.  In my head it means that no matter how hard I work, I cannot end a bad run sooner by effort.  There is no visual finish-line to imagine -- to break down into achievable physical markers.  Yep, I could try to warp my mind into "just 3 more minutes!", but I'm just not wired that way.  Would rather, "Just to that stop sign."

I would readily agree to do 2 miles more than agree to do a run determined by time.

YMMV, or rather YTMV.

Same reasons for me.  And running by distance is logistically easier: I know when to turn around on my out-and-back run to hit a certain distance.  I find that keeping track of mileage helps me to be consistent in my training and to keep track of my progress.  I wonder if one could get the same benefits by keeping track of time only (as opposed to time and distance)?  Anyway, for me, I think I need the precision that running by distance gives.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

BobScott

Same reasons for me.  And running by distance is logistically easier: I know when to turn around on my out-and-back run to hit a certain distance.  I find that keeping track of mileage helps me to be consistent in my training and to keep track of my progress.  I wonder if one could get the same benefits by keeping track of time only (as opposed to time and distance)?  Anyway, for me, I think I need the precision that running by distance gives.

I didn't think about this and this makes a lot of sense.