Intensity Factor and Running Training Stress Score (Read 74 times)

Cyberic

I own a Timex watch (Global Trainer) and therefore I have an account on TrainingPeaks.com. All my workouts get automatically uploaded there, and I manually upload them all here afterwards, as this is where I keep track of everything.

When I do look at my runs through the trainingpeaks.com site, I see two calculated fields about my runs: the Intensity Factor and the running Training Stress Score. They are both geeky ways to compare workouts between themselves, and to quantify one's training evolution. They are far from necessary, and I don't even know if they're really useful but I'm thinking that since they are just calculated fields, and that you have all the data already on RA, wouldn't it be an easy to add nice-to-have feature on RA?

I'm in no way saying that I need these (I actually have them already on TP if I want them) but it seems easy enough to add.

Just suggesting.

...They are far from necessary, and I don't even know if they're really useful but I'm thinking that since they are just calculated fields, and that you have all the data already on RA, wouldn't it be an easy to add nice-to-have feature on RA?

I'm in no way saying that I need these (I actually have them already on TP if I want them) but it seems easy enough to add.

When you start looking at these sorts of calculations, there's a lot of different calculations that can be useful - or not - depending on what's going into them. Here's the formula for rTSS . You'll see there's a lot of components there. Here's the background on NGP, which is needed for rTSS. (IOW, it's not as simple as it seems, and I suspect some formulas might be proprietary, but not sure.)

I've got some software (SportTracks) that probably calculates 10-20 different numbers, most of which I don't know how to use, but a couple of which are useful to me, and I used to calculate them in my own db. (note: I run hilly or snowy trails most of the time, so flat road-type calculations are meaningless. I do use hrm and barometric altimeter of my gps. These types of things can help, but I just use TRIMP with its shortcomings.)

What might make more sense to me, rather than doing something for everyone's pet estimations - is to add a field where the user can manually add a calculated value or write their own program to generate the number. (but I'm not suggesting it)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog