Race Report - The Sun Half Marathon (Read 491 times)

Flat footer

Race report The Sun Half Marathon, Lowell Massachusetts http://www.baystatemarathon.com/ This was my first half marathon. I have only been running for a little over 5 months so my goal was to just finish. The morning of the race I woke up early, 5:30 am. so I could have breakfast and get up there and get a good parking spot for the 8:30am start. The temps were in the mid 30’s, very chilly. I got a great parking spot about 50 yard from the start line. I went to the nearby arena where everyone was gathering to wait, stretch and just keep warm. I headed to the start line with 15 minutes to go and ate a power bar. It was still very chilly. Good for running bad for waiting. I took off my warm up pants and jacket put them in my bag and gave them to the bag check. The finish line was ½ mile away so the bag check was great. I lined up about mid pack. I knew I was going to get past by a lot of people but I would just stay to the right and try to keep my own pace. I went out with 10 min/mi in my head. I kept thinking “just have fun and finish the race”. After the first mile I was much warmer and pick up the pace slightly. I felt great till somewhere around mile 5. I got that low blood sugar icky feeling. It scared me, how could I finish if I felt like crap already? I downed a GU and as I looked ahead there was a water station, what timing. I ended up drinking Gatorade the rest of the race. I had one more GU and some sport beans for fuel. After mile 10 my foot pod crapped the bed. This upset me but I tried to not worry about it and finish the last 3 miles. I still felt great the last few miles. My legs were getting a little sore but I knew I could make it. With a mile to go I was passing other runners! I kept looking ahead to find my next victim and picked them off. The finish was in a baseball stadium after you cross a 120 year old steel bridge. I enter the stadium and tried to give it all I had. Looping the out field with the finish line down the first base line. I ran as hard as I could passing 2 girls and a guy with 50 feet to go. I passed the finish line and was handed a bottle of water, wrapped with a space blanket and a had a medal hung around my neck. A volunteer even took the chip off my shoe and tied my laces back. Nice! My goal was just to finish but in my mind I thought I could finish around 2:15:00. My official chip time was 2:08:18. This was the greatest run I had ever had! I was a little sore yesterday but I feel fine today. I feel like I could go for a run but I will force my self to take a rest day. Next year I will definitely be doing the full marathon. Here's the numbers... Date: 10/19/2008 8:30 AM Type: Race Course: The Sun Half Marathon Distance: 13.1 miles Duration: 2:08:18 Pace: 9:48 / mile Shoe: New Balance 858 Weight: 172 lb Heart Rate: Average: 159 / Max: 181 Misc: Quality: 7/10, Effort: 8/10 Field Placement: 704 / 987 (71.3%) Age group: 40 – 19 Group Placement: 98 / 108 (90.7%) Weather: 38° F, Sunny Event URL: http://www.coolrunning.com/results/08/ma/Oct19_20thAn_set5.shtml Notes: Marathon Field 1,500 Half Marathon Field 1,000 Bib #2722 Statistics: Calories: 1704 VO2 Max: 33.6 (split times) mile - Pace - Avg HR 1 - 10:06 - 158 2 - 9:47 - 151 3 - 9:37 - 154 4 - 9:39 - 155 5 - 9:51 - 154 6 - 9:49 - 153 7 - 9:41 - 157 8 - 9:37 - 160 9 - 9:38 - 159 10 - 9:32 - 164 10-13.1 - 9:55 - 169 (foot pod crapped out)
      Congratulations on completing your first half and sharing your experience here. Best on the marathon training!

Vim

Fantastic job! Great race report - five months? Amazing. dari

Nice job Dave! For future events with significant RA participation, we'll have to make a banner so we can all gather and at least say hello. Then afterwards, we can hang the banner from the designated watering hole. Big grin

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

Wow, great job especially finishing much faster than you expected. It can be tough when something out of the oridinary happens (foot pod shutting down) and I think you did a great job of not letting it bother you.
            mikeymike

Nice job, Dave. A very successful first half.

Runners run

Congrats, Dave - that's amazing that you accomplished that in just 5 months! WTG!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

That's a great report -- congrats! Not to mention that Mile 10 was your fastest split -- nice finish.

2012= under-goaled

Flat footer

Fantastic job! Great race report - five months? Amazing.
                    Congrats, Dave - that's amazing that you accomplished that in just 5 months! WTG!!!
                    Thanks! Yup I started on 5/10/2008, so it was 5 months and a little over a week. My first run was 1.85 miles on a treadmill it took me 30 minutes (16:13 pace). I was 25 lbs heavier and I felt like I was gonna die on that run. I've come a long way but Im only half way there Wink