Recovering alcoholic wants to run (Read 209 times)

PDoe

Ditto on not doing too much too soon. I would suggest making yourself a schedule. On 'non-running' days, channel the energy into a form of cross training to keep yourself busy yet focused on making yourself fitter and a better runner.

Do the research. Mix up your runs. Don't bore yourself with doing the same thing everyday. Mix up the distances and the effort levels. Start with some fartleks (look it up). Keep it interesting for the long term.

Iaa

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement!

Also, run a 5k as soon as possible, with your best effort.  Record the time.  Do the same in a month's time, and a couple months after that.  It's a good way to start seeing real results.

I didn't run yesterday, but I'm now on my way out. I'm going to the local track to try a 5k! It's maybe not the best day since I've just switched from working daytime to night, so I'm quite tired, but we'll see...

Edit:

The track was flooded so I couldn't run there. Instead I went for the same 6 miles run I've done before, but this time I gave it my best effort and beat my PB with over 9 minutes. Was probably smart to take a day off.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Also, run a 5k as soon as possible, with your best effort.  Record the time.  Do the same in a month's time, and a couple months after that.  It's a good way to start seeing real results.

Look to see if there is a parkrun in your area. It's a free 5k and a great way to meet up with some other runners in your area. The one in my city just started last August and there are new parkruns cropping up around the world. Smile

https://www.parkrun.com/

https://www.parkrun.ca/

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

strambo

Ideally for overall fitness you should be doing some sort of total body strength training as well.  This will help you not over-do the running, prevent running injuries (with lower body and core strength) and just make you all-around strong.  No gym membership needed, just a pull up bar and knowledge of bodyweight exercises.

My 2 favorite BW resources:  Get Strong   and/or  Convict Conditioning

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

There's a program called Couch to 5K (sometimes abbreviated as C25K) that is widely available on the internet. Just Google it and you will find it. It is a program that will--literally--get you off the couch to completing a 5K (or 3.1 mile) race. Many beginners try to do too much, too soon, and too fast. This program will help you avoid this.

If you want to run, find this program and follow it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

So a week ago I stopped drinking and started running. I've been drinking every day for about 5 years, and now without the alcohol to keep me occupied I need a new hobby. One that will help me stay sober by not being compatible with drinking, and maybe also help me lose some of my beer belly would be ideal. Running seems like a good match. I've been running every day this week.

As a tool to stay motivated and not slip back into old habits I think setting some goals would be helpful. I hope you guys could help me with some inspiration and of course knowledge about how to reach them.

As far as I know I should focus on running long and slow in the beginning, but how long and how slow? And how often?

My personal stats:

Male

32 years old

75 - 80 kg

175 cm

Seeing as youre about the same size and height as me, but younger, and I recently quit drinking (I LOVED beer) I'd say just do 45 minutes to an hour a day for four days a week. See if any running stores in town know of local running groups or weekend group runs. Run slow enough to be able to carry a conversation, or sing a song out loud without being out of breath. One of the biggest problems people have is going for a run too hard. People think running is exercise and so it's supposed to be hard. IF you don't run hard then there is no benefit. This is 100% wrong. It's like thinking you can't just have one or two beers and quit drinking, but you have to drink an entire bottle of liquor or an entire 12 pack of beer. Set a goal of making it 100 days without drinking and having your hour runs seem easier and not so much like all of your internal organs are moving around. Just be warned that lots of runners drink. Maybe not as hard as you did but after a 5 miles weekday run it's not uncommon for some people to have a beer and socialize one day a week, or for a 5K-marahton race to offer a beer at the finish line. You'll start to realize how much alcohol is involved in social life. Just don't let the "Fear Of Missing Out" lead you back to alcohol. You'll have just as much fun without alcohol as you did with alcohol. You won't miss out on anything other than feeling like shit the next day. At least with running it's a little healthier, but still self inflicted.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brilliant

I wish the OP would come back with an update. No runs posted on his/her log since 6/25. laa I hope you're doing well both running-wise and staying off the bottle.