2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

I'd love to go sub-3 at Boston this year. 4th time running it and my Boston PR is 3:02:XX. I've got two sub 3's in my past, but those were both over 3 years ago. Ran a 3:02Tight lippedx again in 2010--on an "easy" track.

So ... should I translate that "love" as "put me on the list"?

Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

No Talent Drips

So ... should I translate that "love" as "put me on the list"?

Smile

On! On!

Dei Gratia

Since my wife signed us up for Boston, I'll join this group again this year. Sign me up. Goal is sub-three. This will be my third Boston with a course PR of 3:06.

Background: First couple marathons were in '98-99 while in the Army on scant training. I returned to distance running in 2003 and raced the marathon or ultramarathon every year since. Progressed from 3:13 in 2003-04, to 3:09 in '05, 3:04 in '07, 2:58 in '08 and 2:54 this past April '10.

Yearly mileage was been on a steady progression over the past four years: roughly 2,200 ('06), 2,400 ('07), 2,500 ('08), 2,600 last year ('09) and I'm track to break 3,000 this year.

I'm also a full time student next semester so I doubt I will cover as much mileage volume as I did for last April. I will be attempting to race on less volume. (Run less?)

Good group here last year. A sub-three at Boston would be sweet to add to the running resume.

A sub-three at Boston would be sweet to add to the running resume.

School or not, you should get it there. Good luck!

I'm also a full time student next semester so I doubt I will cover as much mileage volume as I did for last April. I will be attempting to race on less volume. (Run less?)

If a full-time student and nothing else,  I have great confidence that you will find the time to do nothing but run more. But if still doing the work then maybe not...

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
            DoppleBock

Good group here last year. A sub-three at Boston would be sweet to add to the running resume.

There are times you get to rely on your years on good base, I believe you can ramp up the intensity on lower mileage for even an increase in ability in the short term - But worst case a break even to current fitness.

Long term it will start to fade a bit, but your base is plenty big to get you to Boston with less volume and high intensity in a good place.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ran an auto-qualifying half today for NYC so I'll be looking to hit the sub 3:00 mark there for sure!

I just need to keep doing what I've been doing the last three months..

Ran an auto-qualifying half today for NYC so I'll be looking to hit the sub 3:00 mark there for sure!

Good luck. A sub-3 in NY is a tough course to get your first. Do some hill work.

Thanks, Clive for volunteering to take over this thread in the next year!

Put me on the list to attempt a sub-3 on the "big stage" at Boston on April 18, 2011.

johnmaas -- 18APR2011 -- Boston (Boston MA)

I have lurked the sub-3 version of this thread for about 2 years, and some of the advice given here is very good.  It helped me to get there.

Listen to the runners here (like DoppleBock), they know what they're talking about.

A little about me - I'm 49 and from Minnesota.  Ran my 1st marathon at age 44.  I like to run all distances from 5K to 100M.  It's all fun!

I've been fortunate to have run 2:59:14 in 2009, and a PR of 2:54:14 in 2010.  Not going to try and PR at Boston, but just want to hit a nice solid sub-3 there.

It is good to see some of the really fast runners here also!

Good luck to all on the training....

John

It may be a long shot but count me in.  My goal race is 11/12/11 Richmond.

My current PR is 3:19 for a BQ with a lot left in the tank.  I ran that about 18 months ago and felt like I was heading in the right direction.  Since then I had about a 3 month setback with an abdominal strain. I managed to use my Boston qualifier and limped through Boston in an undertrained 3:48.  Now my training is going well and I have a whole year to train for Richmond.

Are we there yet?

@amcneice GREAT RACE TODAY!!  What a stage to lose your sub3 virginity.. NYC Baby!! Nice!

@JohnMaas - whats happenin!! Why rule out the PR this far out?? Go for it brother, you got the wheels and I know BOS can be sneaky fast. It's on.. I'm coming after you.

@heffa47.. this group rocks and welcome!!

Right on Hereford...

I am in for Boston again in 2011! I'm planning NOT to crash and burn this year. In fact, I'm thinking of ditching the watch entirely for the race, which should help.

Background: qualified in 2009 at Chicago with my first and only sub-3 so far, a 2:58 flat. Ran Boston this year with a goal of sub-2:56 and was on pace through the half, then had nothing when I reached the Newton Hills. Limped in with a 3:08.

Good luck to all!

flovesparko

I am in for Boston again in 2011! I'm planning NOT to crash and burn this year. In fact, I'm thinking of ditching the watch entirely for the race, which should help.

Background: qualified in 2009 at Chicago with my first and only sub-3 so far, a 2:58 flat. Ran Boston this year with a goal of sub-2:56 and was on pace through the half, then had nothing when I reached the Newton Hills. Limped in with a 3:08.

Good luck to all!

Hey Dakota,  good to see you back.  I never did find out what happen at Boston this past year,  was it the hip issue? 

For those of you who said or for everyone who thinks Boston is a fast course if you run  it right, please tell us how to run it?  I found it to be a hard course,  I had to really slow my pace when I hit the Newton Hills. I felt very comfortable aerobically but the legs were feeling heavy so I decided to slow pace just to be cautious.    At 21 miles I thought since I slow my pace down before I actually was hurting at mile 16, I would be able to lift the pace much higher but my legs just didn't have any firepower after all the hills.    

Hey Dakota,  good to see you back.  I never did find out what happen at Boston this past year,  was it the hip issue? 

For those of you who said or for everyone who thinks Boston is a fast course if you run  it right, please tell us how to run it?  I found it to be a hard course,  I had to really slow my pace when I hit the Newton Hills. I felt very comfortable aerobically but the legs were feeling heavy so I decided to slow pace just to be cautious.    At 21 miles I thought since I slow my pace down before I actually was hurting at mile 16, I would be able to lift the pace much higher but my legs just didn't have any firepower after all the hills.    

Get that gmaclin spreadsheet it helps a lot. New York was way harder than Boston.

Comfortably fast first 16. Easy up the hills, do not push it up the 4 hills. Coast in between the hills. Fly after the crest of HB after 21. There is basically no hills after HB and its all downhill...........

joescott

Comfortably fast first 16. Easy up the hills, do not push it up the 4 hills. Coast in between the hills. Fly after the crest of HB after 21. There is basically no hills after HB and its all downhill...........

Probably this is good advice above.  But it is not my experience. 

The first two times I ran Boston I tried to just ease up the hills and had two colossal failures, although that factor alone was certainly not decisive.  However, I decided in round three that I had to do things differently -- I had to hit first rather than waiting for the course to hit me.  So I trained hard on hills all winter and (moderately) attacked the uphills in Newton and used the downhills for recovery.  It worked for me, and it worked again the following year.  Maybe it was just a change of mind state, but I got dramatically different results.  I would also urge taking the first 16 very relaxed -- not slow necessarily, but not running away with the loooooonnng downhill, either.  I have a friend who believes in running the first 16 fast, banking time, and then just suffering through the last 10.  I personally will not run the race this way.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.