Hey, that dog just bit me! (Read 1376 times)

Remember, when YOU get vaccinated, you reduce the risk that YOU will bring the flu into your house to infect the kids.
    god, i agree with this so much. sincerely, pre-school teacher who expects but does not want your germs
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ack, scary and maddening article. “I refuse to sacrifice my children for the greater good,” said Sybil Carlson, whose 6-year-old son goes to school with several of the children hit by the measles outbreak here. The boy is immunized against some diseases but not measles, Ms. Carlson said, while his 3-year-old brother has had just one shot, protecting him against meningitis." A lot of it must be that these younger parents have no idea of horrible some of these diseases are. I grew up hearing about older relatives or friends who got polio and still had problems because of it. It would probably also help if they understood more about assessing relative risks (vaccination vs. disease).
        Right. Never had the flu vaccine and never gotten the flu? Lucky you. I'll bet you don't wear seatbelts either. Don't wear seatbelts cuz you drive well and have never had a major accident. And never intend to, right? I'd hate to be around when the winds shift, cuz karma can be hell. And remember, influenza CAN kill. Just like a car crash. Never had the flu vaccine and never gotten the flu? That's selfish. Basically, YOU are benefitting from all the others in the community who HAVE been vaccinated. When a large portion gets vaccinated, the circulating virus counts drop and everybody has a lower risk of getting the disease. This is why we no longer see mumps, measles, rubella, polio. The vaccine only goes so far, this community-wide immunity is the real player. And you are benefitting. Without assisting. Wink
        Trent, just curious....you've already said there's several strains of influenza and scientists basically pick the strain they think will be the worst/most common/whatever. I'm wondering though, are there several strains of measles, mumps and rubella? If not, MMB vaccinations would be the most obvious choice because there's just one type, whereas vaccinations for the flu is almost like Russian roulette - it's basically luck if you get the one type of flu that you're vaccinated against. And no, I've never had vaccines/shots for anything other than MMB & tetanus and have never had the flu either. But by the way, I don't drive my car without wearing a seatbelt (it's law here).
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm wondering though, are there several strains of measles, mumps and rubella?
          No, not really. The vaccine is far more effective and long lasting. Flu is like the opposite of russian roulette. With RR, if there is a match, you die. With flu vaccine, if there is a match, you keep from getting sick. Usually, the prediction is correct AND even if not, you get some protection (although it is not great). Influenza occasionally kills. And makes you wish you were dead. And causes great disability among many others. That you have never had it does not mean you never will. If the seat belt example does not work for you, then think of the Flu as a heart attack. They are both potentially fatal and will make you very sick. Having not had one in the past does not necessarily protect you from having one in the futures. You run, eat right (perhaps) and generally do things to prevent getting a heart attack. Why would you not do the same for other preventable diseases? MTA: also, I notice you live in Victoria. The influenza vaccine methods are likely different there than they are here in the USA. As a result, the vaccine may be more or less likely to match. Smile