Weather (Read 1464 times)

Tasty Pie

I do a lot of night  runs. Was just thinking it would be nice to have a "moonlit" or "night" ticky box. Thanks.

Well, I think 'night' is covered by the 'time of day' field. As for moonlit, I'd go with 'sunny/clear'. Moonlit itself isn't really a weather condition. Although I must say, moonlit runs are much nicer than runs in the dark with no moon Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

I've only been on RA a few months, and I've seen a large handful of independent requests for a "night" tickbox.  It's not "weather" but it IS a condition that has an effect on pace.  Would it be that hard to add it?

(Those who think it's stupid should find it no harder to ignore than the "snow" tickbox is for those who live in the South.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

MrH

(Those who think it's stupid should find it no harder to ignore than the "snow" tickbox is for those who live in the South.)

For those of you in warmer climates, the Snow tickbox can be used if you listened to 'Informer' on your runs.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

For those of you in warmer climates, the Snow tickbox can be used if you listened to 'Informer' on your runs.

Holy crap, I forgot that ever existed.  And I was much happier.  Thanks, H...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I've only been on RA a few months, and I've seen a large handful of independent requests for a "night" tickbox.  It's not "weather" but it IS a condition that has an effect on pace.  Would it be that hard to add it?

Why does the night affect your pace? Just wondering. You can see if it's night by what time of day you enter.

It would be relatively easy to add and it's not even slightly my decision, I was just adding my 2 cents :P

@ The Snow comment, Yeah I live in the Mediterranean Wink

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

xor

Why does the night affect your pace? Just wondering.

Seriously?

Have you run in the dark before?

MrH

Holy crap, I forgot that ever existed.  And I was much happier.  Thanks, H...

Time hasn't dulled its awfulness.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I do at least twice a week, if not more.  I can't say I've noticed a significant difference either way.  The main factor for me is runs starting before 4am are usually slower because I'm still groggy. 

I could see running in the dark affecting your pace (slower) if you  run on technical trails, have poor night vision, or are running in heavy traffic where headlights are constantly in your eyes.  Maybe the running faster affect goes away if you get used to running in the dark on a frequent basis?  Never raced in the dark though...

Seriously?

Seriously?

95% of my runs are in the dark currently because it's dark when I get home from work.

But unless the temperature is particularly cooler in the evening, it doesn't affect my pace

And unless I missed something as I skimmed through the link ultracassie posted, it's only a perception.

xor

I could see running in the dark affecting your pace (slower) if you  run on technical trails, have poor night vision, or are running in heavy traffic where headlights are constantly in your eyes.  Maybe the running faster affect goes away if you get used to running in the dark on a frequent basis?  Never raced in the dark though...

Or run in a place where it gets really freakin dark (and there's not moonlight because of clouds).  But yes, all of these things will slow you down.

I've been running in the dark for a number of years and haven't noticed it getting too much better.

Racing in the dark?  Very very interesting experience.

Also, I run differently "at night" than I do "early in the morning, right after I've been sleeping".

I once got chased by a crazy dude in Seattle.  That night I ran fast.  As he chased me, he kept kind of screaming "I'm not chasing following you!"  Ok then.

xor

95% of my runs are in the dark currently because it's dark when I get home from work.

But unless the temperature is particularly cooler in the evening, it doesn't affect my pace

And unless I missed something as I skimmed through the link ultracassie posted, it's only a perception.

All I know is that I am much more likely to trip over (fill-in-the-something) and bust out my teeth when I run at night, so I run more cautiously.  Plus I'm usually tired at night.

So I run slower.

Edited to add: in any case, I buy that for some people in some conditions, they run the same (or faster) paces at night.  I posted my "seriously?" comment because it seemed like you hadn't even considered the possibility that folks might get more cautious when they can't see stuff that might hurt them.

L Train

Generally when I'm running the dark I feel like I'm running faster than I actually am.