Couple Blister Questions (Read 907 times)

JakeKnight

Like a good boy I've used the search function first to try and answer this, but I need a little more info; the ultra guys and any local physicians might be helpful, or anybody who deals with blisters. My feet used to blister easily. Since switching to running socks a couple years ago (usually "Wright Socks") I have basically never had a blister. At all. Somehow on Saturday, I ended up with massive blisters on each insole. As in, the size of my palm. By mile 11 I was running in oozing puss on my right foot, after that one popped; the left never popped. Not new shoes. I've run at least 20 milers in the pair I wore (Asic GT-2120s). Not new socks. Same socks I always wear. The shoes have under 300 miles (or did). I usually get 600+ out of a pair. About the only thing I can see that I did differently was run faster than usual, without any walking involved. But I had the blisters by mile 10, and when I ran a recent half marathon in the same socks, at a faster pace, I got no blisters. So I'm pretty baffled here. My questions: 1) Why did I get blisters? 2) How do I not get blisters again? 3) What exactly do I do about them? The left one never popped as I said, and it's already drying up. My right foot is a mess - just a hanging flap of skin and raw flesh. Very cool to look at though. Should I bandage it? Let it get some air? Take pictures and applaud it? Show it to girls? Since y'all are runners, you can guess what I'm really asking: when I hit the road again tomorrow, what do I do about the blister? Obviously, "don't run" is not an answer. Not an answer I'll take seriously, anyway. Any other advice? Thanks guys.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Take pictures and applaud it? Show it to girls?
      Not sure if I'd like to see the pictures!! Sorry, no advice from me, but since your palm size blister description made me grimmace in pain, I just wanted to say "ouch!". I only ran one long distance race (so far) and ended up with blisters and wondered how marathon runners deal with it, so I'm curious to what advice you get.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to make sure that Eryn sees this thread. She had similar problems during the 10 mile race we did a couple of weekends ago. Nothing new, but by about mile 7 she was developing blisters. I will say that the Wright socks never seemed to do much for me (I had one pair of shoes that would give me a teeny blister on one foot after every run), but I haven't had any blister issues at all with Smartwools. Maybe my feet are just more badass, now...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

1) Why did I get blisters? 2) How do I not get blisters again? 3) What exactly do I do about them? The left one never popped as I said, and it's already drying up. My right foot is a mess - just a hanging flap of skin and raw flesh. Very cool to look at though.
          Yeah even though I consider blisters to be one of those things only novices get, I still wind up with blisters sometimes in long races. Elites do too--I've seen some pretty gnarly photo's of elites' feet after marathons. 1. I think you're on to something with the "running faster than usual." I can do 13 mile runs in a pair of flats no problem, then go race a half marathon in the same flats and get blisters. Sweating more than usual is also part of the problem, I think. 2. One method that works is putting vaseline on your feet. Just a thin layer over your entire feet. I've never gotten blisters when I've remembered to do this. 3. I never cover them up...just sort of let them do their thing. Sometimes I'll put neosporin on, but that's about it. I have no idea if this is the medically sound approach, just what I've done.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I will say that the Wright socks never seemed to do much for me (I had one pair of shoes that would give me a teeny blister on one foot after every run), but I haven't had any blister issues at all with Smartwools. Maybe my feet are just more badass, now...? k
            It's not like I'm a major shareholder in WrightSocks, Inc. ... so I'd be glad to try a different sock. But since I've basically had zero blisters for the last couple years, I'm just baffled at what happened.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not like I'm a major shareholder in WrightSocks, Inc. ... so I'd be glad to try a different sock. But since I've basically had zero blisters for the last couple years, I'm just baffled at what happened.
              It is weird. Eryn is also perplexed. At first she was thinking that maybe her shoes were in need of replacing, but when she went and looked at her mileage I think she said that they weren't even up to 200 miles. It is weird and doesn't make much sense. Maybe the speed thing is key. It seems that it's the only factor that would be different on race day. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I pop my blisters, cut off the flap of skin, and then put Neo on them and cover with a band-aid. Probably not the ideal thing to do but it works for me. I only get blisters on the ball of my feet, so far.

Michelle

Why is it sideways?

Weird. I, too, like Smartwools. I never really know what to do with blisters except just let them do their thing. Your HM was really cold if I remember correctly, so I'd say it's the combination of running faster with more sweat. I don't know what to do to prevent them except find a different pair of racing shoes. And whenever I get a bad blister, I switch shoes so the pressure gets distributed differently. Pics?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Let them do their thing. You can pop them if you want, with a clean needle at the edge. Some folks cut a small flap and squirt in some superglue. By some folks, I mean ultramarathoners. Duct tape works well too. During a run that is. After a run, don't do the duct tape thing. I don't like to cut off the entire blister roof cuz its good protection for the tender sensitive skin underneath. But superglue is where its at.
                      Hey Trent ? for you. How long should I keep my bandage on my blister that was lanced yesterday? Dh says to wait until tonight to take it off, but I was thinking it might need air? I've never ever had to deal with this before.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

1) Why did I get blisters?
                        Didn't all the race reports say that the temperature was quite a bit hotter than you all expected? That plus the faster speed would explain the extra sweat in them smelly ole socks.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

I always get them in longer races. Mostly on the underside of my big toes, at the joint / ball of foot. Never really sure what it is, other than the repeated stretching and possible sliding of my feet.

You'll ruin your knees!

1) Why did I get blisters?
                            Friction...prolly something you did differently in the race, could be the speed, could be that you were so focused on the race, you didn't notice your feet so much and didn't make the little adjustments we all make (conciously or not) to help avoid...sometimes, I catch myself "clawing" at the bottom of my shoes with my toes and that would definitely lead to some major problems without making adjustment...you were "in a zone" so to speak and made no adjustments...nothing to take your focus off the goal...not all bad, dude.
                            2) How do I not get blisters again?
                            I had a similar experience as you, blistering pretty badly in my first two races this year. A friend recommended a product called Blister Shield... http://www.2toms.com/products.html and I haven't come close to a blister since (even on the tender areas from the previous blisters). I used to always slather up my feet to help with blister prevention and that was good, but not as good as the Blister Shield (even with wet feet!). The Sport Shield product they make is awesome as well (better than Body Glide, in my opinion).
                            3) What exactly do I do about them? The left one never popped as I said, and it's already drying up. My right foot is a mess - just a hanging flap of skin and raw flesh. Very cool to look at though. Should I bandage it? Let it get some air? Take pictures and applaud it? Show it to girls?
                            Not popped yet - if it is still really tight, with pressure...lance it like others have mentioned, then treat both blister areas the same. If it is not "pressurized" and is not uncomfortable, leave it to your body to take care of... popped already - neosporin is good and I agree with Mikeymike...if you can do it without any dressing, go for it. If you need a dressing, slather it up good with neosporin on the damaged area (trim away the loose skin) and apply duct tape (if you don't slather first, the duct tape will not be comfortable coming off!). After you apply the duct tape, slather it up so the edges don't roll up underneath your socks. Best foot resource I have ever seen is http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/... if you're gonna keep doing this, order a copy and keep it handy...best stuff on prevention and treatment (running specific) you'll find. The superglue stories are true, but I think that is for during a race when you need to get back out there immediately...don't know that I would consider it so much after the race is over...also, the one that is popped already is past that point. Good luck with it...don't underestimate the damage you've done and the likelihood of infection. Treat it like any other wound with regard to cleaning and disenfecting.... Take care and great job on the PR! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

Thank you all. Good info. I figured I could count on Lynn for some blister knowledge. Ran on it this morning with a bandage on my foot and its fine. New skin already. But I'd sure like to avoid this in the future so I'll be checking out the product you suggested, Lynn. Thanks again, dudes and dudettes.