Whose running the Chicago Marathon? (Read 787 times)

protoplasm72

I'll be on the sidelines watching this year and will have my HTFU sign.  Beside Ryan Hall, who is running that I should be looking out for?  I only got 2 responses in the Chicago Marathon group but there has to be more people running it.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

xor

I'm not, but I see that temps are supposed to start in the upper 50s and head into the 70s.  I can't wait for all the breathless reports about OMG THAT WAS SO HOT I ALMOST DIED.

Yo, if you are running a marathon and it gets warm: adjust your pace.  Mid 70s is not 110.

Queen of 3rd Place

I'll be there, and to me, those temps are FREEZING! I'm packing long underwear! Big grin

Ex runner

I'm not, but I see that temps are supposed to start in the upper 50s and head into the 70s.  I can't wait for all the breathless reports about OMG THAT WAS SO HOT I ALMOST DIED.

Yo, if you are running a marathon and it gets warm: adjust your pace.  Mid 70s is not 110.

Mid 70's isn't too bad and it might not reach that until after most have finished. However, for guys like me that nearly always run very early when the temps this time of year are in the 40's and 50's, that extra 20 to 30 degrees is significant.  Last year I remember running by a bank and the temperature was in the low 80s. I was dead by then. That's why I'm running Indy Monumental on Nov 5th instead this year. 

xor

Significant, yes.  I do get that. Honest.

But ever since The Hot Year, which was a nasty situation not just because of the heat but also the logistical snafus, some people (and races, especially in WI/MN/IL) are uber-sensitive to stuff above 65.  Is this a bad thing?  Eh, different for everyone. I get where they are coming from. But it is also a drag for the traveling marathoner to pay mega bucks and get shutdown midrace for conditions that seem (personally) survivable with reasonable pacing.  But... different for everyone.

As a person who directly and indirectly experiences races all over the country, I can state with great precision that Wisconsin is 3670% more likely to cancel an event mid-race or have participants going on and on about "the heat!" than anywhere else in the country.

Yes, I know Chicago is not in Wisconsin.

Shame on you for forcing me to defend my hometown race, but to set the record straight, the "official" reason the 2007 Chicago Marathon was stopped was that the medical providers advised the race director that there were insufficient ambulances to treat emergencies at the then-accumulating pace.  While I suspect this was but one of many reasons leading to the decision, it's fairly compelling in its own right.

Besides, it was four years ago.  Dead. horse. beating.

(Yes I ran in 2007, and yes I finished.)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Why is it sideways?

I think Riggs is running it and shooting for 2:30ish.

xor

No need to defend.  I wasn't trying to state why Chicago was shut down... was stating races *since then*.  Chicago had whole lots of badness going on, but as the stated reason for why they pulled the plug, sure.  It's a pretty damn compelling reason too.

xor

I think Riggs is running it and shooting for 2:30ish.

Good luck!  Temps in the upper 50s.

Fingers crossed that the temporal distortion caused by Riggs fast pace does not cause anyone caught in his wake to gork out.

(to anyone who does not know what I mean: that's a joke specific to The World's Best Race Picture)

If the events of the 2007 Chicago Marathon caused other races to be more aware and better prepared, that's good.  If it caused races to be cancelled solely because of warmer temps, that's bad.

Yes, it's a bit silly that I'll be at the Chicago expo tomorrow and they'll be flying RED WARNING FLAGS and emailing RUNNER ALERT NOTICES and whatnot just because it might hit 75 degrees by noon. But that's the culture we live in today.  I can;t even start the navigation system on my car without pressing a button acknowledging that I'm likely to die by following the car's GPS directions.

Marquess of Utopia

On the flip side:

I would love to see more marathon's in the Midwest in December and January. I was disappointed when the Olathe Marathon canceled one year and moved the date from March to April.

Seriously what’s wrong with running in a few inches of snow? It’s not like they don’t plow the roads and put salt down. What’s a better test of determination than to run in single digit temps with a 20mph wind in your face!

If you are interested in a race like this let me know; I may need to expand and certify a race that I started last year.

I would love to see more marathon's in the Midwest in December and January. I was disappointed when the Olathe Marathon canceled one year and moved the date from March to April.

January race in Milwaukee: http://www.indoormarathon.com/

But probably not what you had in mind. Wink

Ostrich runner

Indiana has Tecumseh and HUFF in December. Granted Tecumseh is on a trail and HUFF is kind of on a trail, but they're nice and cold. My car thermometer read 8 at last year's HUFF start.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

#artbydmcbride

Who's (contraction of who is)  running the Chicago marathon?  flatfooter is also running it.

Runners run

January race in Milwaukee: http://www.indoormarathon.com/

But probably not what you had in mind. Wink

I'll be there doing the 1/2M... and my son the 5K. Can't wait!!