Running & Spouses (Read 833 times)

How do your respective spouses/significant others feel about your running & racing? I'm looking at the 2007 calendar & all the various races available & working out my campaign strategy. Training's easy, most of my running is done at night after dinner, locally & it's part of the family routine. Racing's different. I work a lot of weekends & to carve time out of already limited family time to travel to a race,plus the expense...it could be challenging. How do you work it?
      How do your respective spouses/significant others feel about your running & racing? I'm looking at the 2007 calendar & all the various races available & working out my campaign strategy. Training's easy, most of my running is done at night after dinner, locally & it's part of the family routine. Racing's different. I work a lot of weekends & to carve time out of already limited family time to travel to a race,plus the expense...it could be challenging. How do you work it?
      Sounds like my house. My wife is very good about helping me keep motivated to train, but races are another thing. My wife is more agreeable to local races, say withing about 50 miles from home. But to be honest we take care of her mom who has many health issuses and we both work different shifts. So that has much to do with it. BTW I love your Bear! Awsome was a word invented to discribe that animal!!! We prospectors choose a mining partener not because we like the company of the person, but because we can out run them in bear country!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

derek

My wife is very supportive and she actually started running herself. She didn't need to do any C25K or similar plan and is actually running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. She's even contemplating doing a 5K in th enext few months. I've only done one race so far, but I plan to do at least 4 this year (5K, 10K, marathon, plus a possible half-marathon) and she's all for it. She likes the fact that running helped me lose 50lbs so far and I'm a lot lighter and in far better shape than when we got married 8.5 years ago

Derek

Scout7

Well, neither of us work weekends, so that's not so much an issue. I have always made it an option for my wife to attend my races. Some, she likes going to. Others, not so much (especially the winter ones....). Additionally, I write down any and all prospective races on the calendar, so she can see what's when. Most of them are local, so it's maybe an hour's drive to the race, so it takes up a Sunday morning (generally speaking). I think the big key is to be open and honest with her and yourself about what races are really important. I mean, I could go to races all the time if I wanted to, but I know that's not practical. I let he know which ones are really important to me, and she's pretty good about understanding that fact.
            For training, I try and do most of my running (including long runs) in the early mornings before DH is awake. This allows me to 1) start the day with a feeling of accomplishment 2)maintain family time after the workday is over 3)limit my excuses as to why I can't run that evening. Now if I remember correctly, mornings don't work for you because you have to be at work at butt-early o'clock anyway. For races, I just try to limit them and make sure that the ones we do go to are fun for both of us. I try to do one every other month, or occasionally one per month, and we make a family event out of it. He walks around, takes lots of pictures and people-watches while I run. It is also fun to make a mini-weekend vacation and do a destination race. Again, that may not be practical with your schedule, but it works for us.
            Jenny
              Dh and I started running together last year and joined a training program for a half marathon. I kept running after it was over and he ran on again/off again as he had some injury issues. We race together as a family usually, though there have been a few races I ran on my own while he stayed home with the kids. All 4 of our kids race now. Some races he's been my "support crew", bringing me Gu or on my 10 miler where I ended up too slow for the fast people and to fast for the slow people and ran about 8 miles all alone, he met me about 2 miles from the finish line and ran with me to the end (up the horrible hill!) I put all available races on the calander and do what we can. Sometimes he and I will travel a bit to a race and get a hotel for a weekend away. (Hey, we've got 4 kids. Any excuse to get time alone! And the grandparents still fall for it! Cool) Teresa

Finished!

My DH is very supportive- he's been after me to run for ages and is astounded that a friend finally talked me into it. He's a bit mistified and baffled at the races, as he's never needed races to keep him going (he's been running for over 15 yrs) He's now after me to start in on the strength training Roll eyes
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Why is it sideways?

Who the heck is DH? And how many wives does he have? Seriously--what does DH stand for? I've been guessing "Dumb Hubby" "Dorky Husband" "Dear Hotty"...?
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Dear Husband Dear Wife Dear Son Dear Daughter DH, DW, DS, DD etc.

Roads were made for journeys...

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, dear!
                        My wife once had a dream that I had "DH" tatooed on my chest. She said I told her in the dream it meant "Damn Her!" She's a complicated lady.
                        Scout7

She's a complicated lady.
                          *snerk* Aren't they all?
                            Dh started running a little before I did. When it comes to racing we take turns ( for smaller races). For the longer races we usually get inlaws to babysit and we run them together. This year we're doing 2 HM and a Marathon together.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

thanks for clarifying those definitions...when i was a stay at home dad for my son from 2 months to 1 1/2 years old i felt like only moms would know what those DD,DH and stuff means. my DW has been running longer than I have but just recently at a more consistent rate because we were training for the marathon..but now she just runs occasionally (which is great, this will give me time to catch up to her speed Big grin ) ...she likes to go paddleboarding and outrigger paddling for her endurance sports. So far we manage to keep a good schedule between all our trainings and different sports and watching our son. All our races (running or water sports) are all local so we'll make a day out of them.

Now that was a bath...

Honestly - I think that John is relieved that whilst I am running I am not nagging him for a fifth baby. I don't think he's very interested in my running though. Mostly I feel that I am boring him when I mention it and the reason that I run so early in the morning is so I don't take away from family time. I don't think he would like that. When I go to Waiheke Island for the race on the 20th I will be gone most of the day and he will be left looking after the little ones so i don't think that he's exactly excited by that thought. He's not a very active man. When his back went recently and he saw my physio, she asked him to bend over and touch his toes. He replied 'I don't do exercise'. He's not kidding either! Exercise for John happens if the local dairy is closed and he has to walk down the road to buy a mince and cheese pie for his lunch! Claire xxx
                              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.