Bloody lungs (Read 532 times)

drrbradford

Not bloody as in haema*, bloody as in British.

I think I've developed asthma or some kind of allergy. New hometown is dry and we've had a relatively warm summer in Britain this year (mid twenties). Having visited my parents for two days where it's been raining and ten degrees cooler, my runs have been so easy and feel like I can actually use my lungs without them feeling like they've been attacked by a cheese grater. Throw in some sinusitis, migraines, water retention and terrible acid reflux to be left with one unhappy bunny who cannot train to the level he used to.

I don't know ever know why I'm posting other than out of frustration at my body putting forward a new weakest link.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, welcome to my world.  I've been undergoing allergy testing this Summer.  Thus far we've nailed-down cats (we have 3), dogs, dust mites, cockroaches, weeds, and shellfish (why could I not be allergic to a food I don't love?  I could live without ever eating chicken again).

The other day my allergist was running me through spirometer testing and even on relatively high dose 2x/daily inhaled steroids I'm only at 74% efficiency (20 minutes after 2 hits of albuterol I was up to 87%).  This was on a day when I thought my breathing was great (and 2 days earlier I had placed 5/32 women in a duathlon -- 2/9 in my AG.  I'm also 20-30#s overweight.  I wonder what I could do with good lungs and ideal weight).  You don't know what you don't know...I was diagnosed with asthma in my early 30s, though I've probably been asthmatic to some degree for most of my life.  I don't actually know what it would be like to have healthy lungs.

Allergies and asthma suck.  I frequently am angry at my parents for smoking around me as a kid.  I'd probably have asthma, anyhow, but maybe not.  Maybe allergies would be less of an issue without that early 2ndhand smoke inhalation, too.  When I've mentioned this to my mom she likes to brush it off (she has worse asthma than I do, bordering on COPD).  But she's a retired RN -- she should know better.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

I have both allergy induced and exercise induced asthma.  I would get it checked out to confirm the diagnosis.

I have two inhalers, one every 12 hours and one for emergencies, take Zyrtec and get allergy shots.  It took close to 2 years for my paces to go back to before asthma levels.  It is not the end of the world, but it requires patience.  My breathing capacity is at 62% still.

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Heh, welcome to my world.  I've been undergoing allergy testing this Summer.  Thus far we've nailed-down cats (we have 3), dogs, dust mites, cockroaches, weeds, and shellfish (why could I not be allergic to a food I don't love?  I could live without ever eating chicken again).

The other day my allergist was running me through spirometer testing and even on relatively high dose 2x/daily inhaled steroids I'm only at 74% efficiency (20 minutes after 2 hits of albuterol I was up to 87%).  This was on a day when I thought my breathing was great (and 2 days earlier I had placed 5/32 women in a duathlon -- 2/9 in my AG.  I'm also 20-30#s overweight.  I wonder what I could do with good lungs and ideal weight).  You don't know what you don't know...I was diagnosed with asthma in my early 30s, though I've probably been asthmatic to some degree for most of my life.  I don't actually know what it would be like to have healthy lungs.

Allergies and asthma suck.  I frequently am angry at my parents for smoking around me as a kid.  I'd probably have asthma, anyhow, but maybe not.  Maybe allergies would be less of an issue without that early 2ndhand smoke inhalation, too.  When I've mentioned this to my mom she likes to brush it off (she has worse asthma than I do, bordering on COPD).  But she's a retired RN -- she should know better.

I think this is the origin of my asthma as well.  I was hospitalized as a child with "bronchitis" (most likely asthma) 5 times a year when I was 5, 6, and 7 years old.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wonder if shots are my next step.  I have another appt with my doc in about a month.  We're going to see how a higher dose of steroids (80mg Qvar -- 2 inhalations, 2x/day) control things better.  Zyrtec + Flonase seems to control the allergies pretty well.  It would help if one of our cats didn't insist upon sleeping on my pillow when my head is also on it.  Can't lock him out of the room, as he will cry and scratch at the door ALL night long.  He's a dick. Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah lungs are pretty important to running. Training was going well through an unseasonably cool August but now I'm on my 9th day off in a row (which is probably longest in 5 years) due to pneumonia. I have allergies and asthma also. Spring time is rough as well as hot days in summer when air quality sucks. I can't complain--I figure if that's the worst health issue I'm dealing with then I'm doing pretty well.

Runners run

SMART Approach

I also have asthma/allergies to dust, mold, pollen, grass, trees etc and suffered through them more in high school and college when I was working on the farm around everything I was allergic to but Dad was paying for college so I fought through taking antihistamines that made me drowsy, Theophylline, and Alupent and Albuterol inhalers. I had some severe attacks that laid me up for days and in the emergency room after bailing hay. 30 years ago inhaled corticosteroids were not the standard treatment and treatments were more for symptoms rather than prevention and the inflammatory component of asthma. I went through rounds of shots as a kid and adolescent. they seemed to help but seemed to wear offf after a year. everyones response is different. kristen, if you will continue to be exposed to things that cause problems, then this may be a good idea. When I got a bit older, I learned to take the Albuterol before the strenous work and that helped a lot and then Vanceril came out which helped a lot. After college, I got in fitness industry and I then avoided the farm , bailing hay etc.  and my issues pretty much went away other than some seasonal allergies that do not require regular use.

I guess my point is, the best treatment is to avoids things that cause the issues. Common sense, but easier said than done. The other thing that has helped both my wife and I (who has coded 3 times from her asthma and anaphylactic reactions) is to do what you can nutritionally and through lifestyle to strengthen the immune system. As you all know, I am a supplement freak, but I am a believer in bioflavonoids andantioxidants to strengthen immune system. If your system is strong, your symptoms are less when exposed. My wife now only takes Claritan daily but is off all her asthma meds.  Her lungs have some permanent damage from years ago but she is doing good. I thing I also may have some damage from a severe attack that laid me up for two weeks but it doesn't seem to hold me back on race day and I have minimal issues with my asthma or allergies now as I avoid exposure but can mow lawn now without a mask when years ago I had to. I attribute that to my strengthened immune system.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I wonder if shots are my next step.  I have another appt with my doc in about a month.  We're going to see how a higher dose of steroids (80mg Qvar -- 2 inhalations, 2x/day) control things better.  Zyrtec + Flonase seems to control the allergies pretty well.  It would help if one of our cats didn't insist upon sleeping on my pillow when my head is also on it.  Can't lock him out of the room, as he will cry and scratch at the door ALL night long.  He's a dick. Roll eyes

Thankful my cat has his own room

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

The most important step is to get yourself tested.  I was surprised with some of the things I was actually allergic to that I never knew.  Getting away from certain allergens can help with the asthma, but leave the cat alone!

<---- Cat lady.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thankful my cat has his own room

Our cats have their own rooms, too...all of 'em.  They are gracious enough to let us be their live-in servants. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can't complain--I figure if that's the worst health issue I'm dealing with then I'm doing pretty well.

True story.  A couple of hits of albuterol mid-workout sure beats checking blood sugar and adjusting an insulin pump or trying to stay fit and compete while undergoing cancer treatments.  Reasonably well-controled asthma is pretty NBD in the grand scheme.

~ Sarah Kay

True story.  A couple of hits of albuterol mid-workout sure beats checking blood sugar and adjusting an insulin pump or trying to stay fit and compete while undergoing cancer treatments.  Reasonably well-controled asthma is pretty NBD in the grand scheme.

+1

In my current injured state, I have only been able to go out on some very short, slow runs, and have occasionally not bothered with my normal pre-run albuterol. However yesterday it turned out I really should have...but it somehow felt good to have a run that gave me an asthma attack. If that makes sense. Confused

Dave

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Our cats have their own rooms, too...all of 'em.  They are gracious enough to let us be their live-in servants. Tongue

Haha, that's pretty much the situation here too.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1

In my current injured state, I have only been able to go out on some very short, slow runs, and have occasionally not bothered with my normal pre-run albuterol. However yesterday it turned out I really should have...but it somehow felt good to have a run that gave me an asthma attack. If that makes sense. Confused

Yeah...probably I never was diagnosed with asthma earlier in life because I never did enough to notice that my breathing was markedly less efficient than anyone else's.  In HS I thought my lungs sucked because I was, literally, the ONLY girl on the track team who didn't also run XC (I was a theatre geek and fall is one-act play season...also I hated running more than 200 meters at a shot).  I went to one of those schools where the distance running program was the stuff of legend -- and still is decades later.

~ Sarah Kay

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Sounds like me! I have allergy-induced asthma.  For me the symptoms are initially shallow breathing (not wheezing) and then stomach cramping from lack of proper oxygenation.  I've had many aborted long runs during the second half of the summer as a result of my ragweed allergy - quite frustrating.  Definitely get tested.  I recently had to stop shots because of insurance issues but am restarting to avoid these continuous issues.  I couldn't remember why it wasn't this bad last year, but I was in Hawaii in early september, so I missed it...and the year before that I wasn't a serious runner.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55