Shoe woes **update** (Read 856 times)

So my current pair of brooks beasts are nearing the end of their life expectancy. So far about 150 miles is all I have gotten out of a pair of shoes(I am a big guy and I tend to drag my feet a bit). I went to my local running store called "Running Center". So far the beasts have kept me relatively injury free... how ever they are not particularly comfortable. I wanted to sample some other shoes. First thing I discovered is that brooks has a new model of the beasts out. They have decided that ~$100 isn't good enough for a new model, gotta jack that up to $130. $100 is about my upper limit to how much I would consider paying for shoes. I don't think paying $1 for every mile I run is a very good option. So I wanted to look at other shoes.... They had only two for me to try on. One of them doesn't come wide enough and the other didn't fit particularly well. If I wasn't a size 13 or if I didn't have wide feet or if I didn't need motion control shoes I would have plenty of options. So here I am stuck. In my area there are some generic sporting good stores, but I think I am a point that I still need to be fitted for shoes. The store I was at says they are the largest of their type in the area. Would have no idea on how to go about finding another store. Any advice and/or sympathy would be greatly appreciated Smile **UPDATE** So I went back to the running store... this time there where a few more shoes to try on. I picked up a pair of Asisc Gel Foundation shoes. They felt great in the store. I wore them around the house for half a day and tonight I tried them on a run. They felt HORRIBLE. I only made a couple blocks from home and turned around and went back. I put less than a mile on them. My forefoot felt very unstable, it would sort of float and it would seem like my foot would pivot around on the ball of my foot. I like that they give some arch support, the beasts that I have been using offer almost none. I wish I could just find an affordable shoe that would just give me a bit of support and a bit of cushioning with out me feeling like I am fighting the shoe. I think I run different after I warm up than before. I don't think I ever show my true running gate at the store. When I am cold I am mostly a heel striker, after warming up I am a mostly midfoot/very light heel striker. Shoe wear pattern on my beasts shoe heavy wear inside/under my big toe and light wear on the outside of my heel. I have been wearing motion control shoes however I have heard that if you arn't a heavy heel striker they may not be necessary. Also my beasts seem to cause pain on the outside of my feet near wear my pinky toe connects with the ball of my foot. I would appreciate any shoe suggestions. Also I would like to know what is consider standard protocol on returning shoes. Should I expect a store to take back a pair of shoes with a mile on them? or do I just write it of as lesson learned?

Old, Slow, Happy

I run in Beasts. I've worked through a number of shoes in the last 5 years and found the Beast to be the best for me. They are comfortable and I can run 15 miles in them the first time out. No brreak-in needed. I usually get 500 miles per pair. The shoe I used previous to the Beast was the Mizuno Wave Renegade 3. The arch didn't hit me quite right, so it took a little break-in time. You might want to try them. The Beasts got better total mileage for me than the Mizunos. You might find the opposite. A correct fitting shoe might help with your foot drag. I don't know what the new Beasts will be like, I hope they don't ruin my shoes. It is always a good idea to have someone that knows running analyze your stride. You may over-pronate less than you think and may need less shoe. I don't know where you live, but I would need to drive 65 miles if I wanted to get to a good running store that can analyze my gait properly. Good Luck!!!!
        If it's the right shoe for you, I think even a big guy should probably be able to get more than 150 miles out of a pair of shoes if it's a cushioning issue. I had a nice expensive pair of Mizuno that I gave up on at about 200 or 250 miles, they just didn't seem to provide any cushion and I was feeling it in my shins. I had to do a long run in the rain a while later, and didn't feel like trashing a good pair so I pulled the Mizuno pair out and felt fine afterwards. After scratching my head for a bit, I figured the midsoles had rested and rebounded from the compression caused by frequent use. I replaced the inserts and only used them once a week for runs of about 10 miles or less. I was pretty happy about getting another 200 comfortable miles out of them. I now rotate at least two pairs of trainers (currently NB 1061), and I have another pair in the box. If you find a shoe that works for you, keep an eye on websites for clearance prices. Your chances improve when the next model is released. You can use comparison sites (froogle.com, shopzilla.com etc) with the model number, it might point you to Kelly's Running Warehouse or Zappos or Dick's or whatever the cheapo site of the day might be. A lot of times, they don't have the "average" sized shoes but do have really big or really small sizes. If the sole is wearing out that quickly because you're dragging your feet you might be out of luck, but maybe somebody here has a repair or prevention suggestion. Best of luck to you Chris, blowing through pricy shoes really sucks.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I know what you mean about the costs. I have a pair of NB 1223 (got them at a discount so they werent too expensive - but still close to $100)...now I'm at almost 300 miles and need a new pair...soon... Hard to spend that much money and becaue Im increasing my mileage, the problem is going to get worse... You might want to consider experimenting with different a shoe casue a shoe should last longer then 150 miles.....you ought to get up to 300 out of a pair....... I know how hard it is to experiment cause when you find a running shoe that works, you dont really want to change, but 'perhaps' something is more durable for you......just a thought..

Champions are made when no one is watching

#artbydmcbride

The shoe store should take them back. I have had no trouble returning shoes after I have done a run in them. Have you tried any New Balance stability shoes?

Runners run

TJoseph

The Beasts are the only shoe I have found that work for me. They are expensive, but this is a relatively inexpensive sport. Shoes are the main expense. If you look around on the Internet, you can find deals on the Beast for well under a $100 a pair. If you find a really good deal, you can stock up on several pairs. I got my last pair for $69 with a coupon that was emailed to me from an online store I have used before. One other thing to keep in mind is the Beast has changed very little in the last few years. You can get better deals on last years model from stores with old stock.