First marathon racing advice (Read 136 times)

goofymel87

Any experienced marathon runners out there can give me advice on training/ racing strategy? I'm training for my first marathon and a bit nervous. I've already ran two 1/2 marathons and ran mid-distance in college but never longer then 13 miles. I have doubts on what to eat during the race (gels, types of food) and how often to hydrate myself. My goal is just to finish Smile Also any advice on how to stay healthy during the training process.. Thanks!

BeeRunB

I wish you the best of luck and hope it's a rewarding experience.

Here are my tips:

--start the race slower than the pace you think you'll run it in. Take about 3 miles to warm-up to pace.

--Don't eat closer than 2-3 hours before the race, and keep it light.

--don't drink too much. Read up on Hyponatremia.

--don't try anything new on race day (e.g.  a new kind of gel)

--if you use gels, follow the directions. Research how often you should use them.

--Bodyglide your nipples, inner thighs, inner arms and wherever else you might chaffe. Band-aids on the nips help as well. Any areas where you get blisters on your feet, use band-aids or duct-tape.

--the last 2-6 miles or so will get tough, depending on your aerobic fitness. Your legs will start to feel really tired. And it will get hard. Just keep going, your legs will still work.

--from Patrick Swayze in Road House: Pain don't hurt.

--it's okay not to finish a race. If you really feel like you're having problems, don't be afraid to pull yourself from the race. There will be others.

--don't stop short in the water stations, be mindful of runners behind you

--if you're going to walk, go to the side, then walk. Be mindful of runners behind you.

--smile for the photographers.

--bring disposable earplugs just in case. Sometimes races have these PA systems that are loud enough to give you tinnitus, with speakers alongside the corrals.

Good luck!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

As for training, just run lots, and keep it really slow for the most part.

karsa

Rest is part of training, not a way of avoiding it - Jack Daniels.

I ran a total of 2 marathons so not sure if you can call me experienced.  But in my opinion the start easy part cannot be over emphasized. The first 6-10 miles should feel like you are holding back significantly, if not you might be in for a long day.

My first race I started out real easy (did not even have a watch on), the second one got carried away a bit and ran with folks significantly faster than me for the first 3 miles (just chatting and not noticing the pace), the result, the exact same time to the minute, but the second race was more painful despite better training going into the race.

Read JK's racing advice- the sticky under running 101. They only thing he left out (that I found out the hard way)- cut your toenails before a marathon.