Going very fast on the treadmill--safe? (Read 565 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Its also true that while few humans take the time to research treadmill training, if there truly were no difference, then why do horses running on a treadmill get so spooked when they're introduced to them for the first time?

Wow, your comments are so stupid I can't believe you can even operate a computer. You really expect a horse to look at a treadmill and think, "oh ya, I understand that machine, it must be safe so I'll jump right on it." Perhaps the answer to your question as to why horses get spooked when they're introduced to a STRANGE, LOUD, MOVING, MACHINE FOR THE FIRST TIME, is because THEY ARE HORSES AND NOT HUMANS. You are insinuating that a horse sees the treadmill and thinks, no, I don't want to run on this human made device because I've researched treadmill running down at the farmer's co-op and doing so will mess with my running gait.

Take up another hobby. Your current ones are not for you; you know nothing about running, training, walking, treadmills, physics, science, athletes or horses. Try rabbits. The rabbit breeding hobby needs a biomimeticist I hear.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Joann Y

The Houyhnhnms are having a hoot at this hoopla.

arca

Liking the Swift reference :-)

C-R

Hey SJ. First rule of getting out of a hole is to stop digging. But keep it up man. This is some of the funniest stuff this engineer has read on the lack of knowledge about physics on your part. Well done. Well done indeed.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

GC100k

If you idiots really believe that treadmill running is the same as road running, then explain why running east takes 20% less force than running west. You can’t, princess, but I can, so I know science and you don’t. When running east, you are not running, you are just moving your feet while the earth rotates beneath you at 800 mph. So running west requires 20% more energy expenditure, which is the force equal to the velocity of the momentum. Why are Kenyan women in east Africa while you are in the “west”? Why can Australian aborigines run faster than Usain Bolt but you ride a horse instead of an ostrich? Why do 100m sprinters actually run 120m during the race and track races are counterclockwise when they could walk barefoot on masking tape and run 20% faster? Because everyone except me is an idiot and my science proves it.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

If you idiots really believe that treadmill running is the same as road running, then explain why running east takes 20% less force than running west. You can’t, princess, but I can, so I know science and you don’t. When running east, you are not running, you are just moving your feet while the earth rotates beneath you at 800 mph. So running west requires 20% more energy expenditure, which is the force equal to the velocity of the momentum. Why are Kenyan women in east Africa while you are in the “west”? Why can Australian aborigines run faster than Usain Bolt but you ride a horse instead of an ostrich? Why do 100m sprinters actually run 120m during the race and track races are counterclockwise when they could walk barefoot on masking tape and run 20% faster? Because everyone except me is an idiot and my science proves it.

Nice imitation. Do you do movie star impressions too?

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

BeeRunB

Its also true that while few humans take the time to research treadmill training, if there truly were no difference, then why do horses running on a treadmill get so spooked when they're introduced to them for the first time?

No hoof rails.

joescott

On the treadmill, for instance, you have a lot more lateral displacement in your step because there is no forward motion to counter with your push off step. That requires greater arm swing energy expenditure as well to maintain stability

FWIW, not that I really want to engage in an honest discussion with you on the subject, this statement is provably false.  Just for what it's worth.

Using a wrist-mounted accelerometer I have personally measured that there are overall (slightly) lower accelerations of the arm during treadmill running than during road running, which would imply less arm swing energy on the treadmill, not the other way around.  So certainly we can all (or at least I can) concede that there are *minor* biomechanical (or is it biominimichenistal?) changes due to treadmill running.  But you have it exactly backwards, princess, and my science proves it.  But maybe in my personal case I run like T-Rex or an ostrich on a treadmill.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

FWIW, not that I really want to engage in an honest discussion with you on the subject, this statement is provably false.  Just for what it's worth.

Using a wrist-mounted accelerometer I have personally measured that there are overall (slightly) lower accelerations of the arm during treadmill running than during road running, which would imply less arm swing energy on the treadmill, not the other way around.  So certainly we can all (or at least I can) concede that there are *minor* biomechanical (or is it biominimichenistal?) changes due to treadmill running.  But you have it exactly backwards, princess, and my science proves it.  But maybe in my personal case I run like T-Rex or an ostrich on a treadmill.

First off  I appreciate that you're one to explore differences between the two in the first place. What I would question is which arm the device was on? If it were the dominant hand, then it would easily explain the drop in energy expenditure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18316297

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6656556

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9789855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23860291

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23746487

And a couple of personal favorite to the discussion to high belt speed training application

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24172721

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24086316

I'm simply a little more refined in how I approach treadmill training regardless to how many legs my athletes have.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

See Joe, you princess, you're just not refined enough to not know the difference between momentum and force, or simple reference frame physics.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

If you idiots really believe that treadmill running is the same as road running, then explain why running east takes 20% less force than running west. You can’t, princess, but I can, so I know science and you don’t. When running east, you are not running, you are just moving your feet while the earth rotates beneath you at 800 mph. ...

Well done. And a nice extra touch to get the rotation of the earth backwards. :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sounds like you folks may have run this one to ground....could you help out with the old "Could an Airplane on a Treadmill Take Off?" question.  TIA

Princess, just explain to me why pilots get so spooked when introduced to these for the first time.

GC100k

Well done. And a nice extra touch to get the rotation of the earth backwards. :-)

That's your science; my science is better.  What you don't realize is that the earth also revolves around the sun, so there is a momentum force that requires east-west balance which is why wildebeest are constantly migrating unlike you who refuse to walk inline.  Very few have studied this but I have which is why my science can explain it but yours can't.

Galen Rupp, cross-training.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

nice find, Nader.  Clearly, most of us have no need for a TM that goes so fast. Then again, we're not ostriches.