Result from Doctor's Visit (Read 751 times)

derek

Background I've been having knee pains since the beginning of December. My patella in both knees have been hurting and the outside of left knee. The latter being the pain that has disrupted my running the most. I've been weraing various knee straps so that I can get through my runs, but even then, I'm unable to run much further than 5 miles or so before I have to stop. Earlier this week, after having to abandon my 10-mile run after 6 miles. I decided to make an appt to see a Sports Medicine doctor Diagnosis I saw the doctor this morning and they took some x-rays. It turns out that neither of my knee caps are tracking properly. They are both off-center and my left knee is worse than my right knee. The doctor said I have "Patellafemoral Syndrome". From what I can tell, this is simply "Runner's Knee" He did a test to see if the pain on the outside of my left knee was my IT band, but the test was negative. He had me stand on one leg (my left leg) and bend a bit. If it was my IT band, I should have felt some pain, but I didn't. He prescribed an anti-inflamatory drug, Etodolac, which I'm to take twice a day and he wants me to ice my knees after running. He wants me to do 2-4 weeks of physical therapy. He said the physical therapist can figure out the cause of the pain on the outside of my left knee. I'm glad I had the x-rays taken so I can see the knee cap problem, but other than that, I don't know what to think. I don't know if I'm going to follow through with the physical therapy. My neighbor is a physical therapist so I'm going to get her thoughts on it. Some things I'm grateful for are: * He said I can continue to run for now, but just shorter distances in the 4-5 mile range so I guess I wouldn't be doing any 10-mile or longer runs for a few weeks. He said once I'm taking the Etodolac, then I shouldn't get any pain * I don't seem to have an IT band problem (at least for now) There seem to be so many treatments for runner's knee and my doctor's visit didn't seem to help me isolate the solution....unless just physical therapy IS the solution?

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, I am glad you finally know the cause of your pain, but I think I would do the PT, just to get an idea of what might help keep it at bay. My guess is that they would teach you some exercises to help strengthen supporting muscles to help your kneecaps track more correctly. Seems worth it to me if your ins. covers it. Good luck and I hope your knees will heal and stop giving you trouble. Being sidelined even a little is miserable. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

As I see it, Etodolac is a short term solution. It'll make you feel better by reducing inflammation. It does not necessary correct the underlying cause such that your knees won't hurt again. To fix the problem, you'll need physical therapy. They'll prescribe a set of exercises designed to strength the support around your knees so things will work better. Also, you should definitely take it easy until you get the ok from your physical therapist. Since you're on Etodolac, you won't feel the pain, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Good luck! You'll be good as new soon.

Now that was a bath...

Derek - I personally found my physical therapy realy helpful. Because it was done by a sport's therapist they were able to give me some really good advice and I am certain that the treatment was a catalyst to a much speedier recovery. My condition was diagnosed as an injury to the articular cartilege but my IT band was also very slightly inflamed. Your pain sounds like it is exactly where mine was, so you might want to ask a PT for a second opinion on the IT band diagnosis. I have been icing my knee after every run and I have had no problems since resuming. I know how frustrating it is to be told that you have to restrict your running! Mostly though I just wanted to hop in here and wish you a speedy recovery. Hope you are running to your capabilities again very soon! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            I'm personally not a fan of PT - While I think it could alleviate the pain for a while, if your knees aren't tracking properly, the problem is likely to return. I'd meet with a podiatrist to determine if alignment could be restored through orthotics.... Unlike a fix via PT, if the problem can be corrected with orthotics, it's generally a fast fix and a permanent fix. But a good podiatrist can tell you - just by looking at your feet and how your knees track - if orthotics are likely to help. And personally - it worked for me. I'd gotten a long rehab schedule from a PT and my coach asked me to please see a podiatrist before I signed on with the PT. I had orthotics in 2 weeks and was running pain-free within two weeks after that.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

derek

I'd meet with a podiatrist to determine if alignment could be restored through orthotics.... Unlike a fix via PT, if the problem can be corrected with orthotics, it's generally a fast fix and a permanent fix. But a good podiatrist can tell you - just by looking at your feet and how your knees track - if orthotics are likely to help.
              I decided to take your advice and see a podiatrist first. I made an appt to see one next week Thursday. If he says orthotics wouldn't help my problem, then I'll look into the PT.

Derek

Good luck with it!! I hope it helps.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I did a lot of physical therapy and it did help for a while, but then it came back. When I went back to PT, he then looked (for the first time) at my body mechanics and it was just an allignment thing too. Mine was also a knee problem and custom orthotics have definately done the trick! Good luck Smile
                  Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."