Wear your sunscreen, kids (Read 1547 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish I would have heard this in my graduation.  I might actually remember it, as opposed to my real graduation speech.

Our valedictorian gave a pretty "meh" speech...but our salutatorian...his speech was VERY similar to the Mary Schmich piece.  It had everyone on the stage and in the audience pretty misty.  Nowadays he is a HS English teacher and I'm guessing is a VERY good teacher.  He wrote some short plays in HS that were the sort of quality not usually seen from writers who haven't already completed some college writing courses.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I look my best blurry!

Great advice and enjoyed the video link.  If you've ever known anyone with skin cancer, you know that it's not how you want to go.  Also thinking about some sunglasses.  My eyes aren't what they used to be either.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great advice and enjoyed the video link.  If you've ever known anyone with skin cancer, you know that it's not how you want to go.  Also thinking about some sunglasses.  My eyes aren't what they used to be either.

Definitely get the sunglasses.  Melanoma can develop in our eyes...as well as cataracts.  UV rays are scary.  I wear sunglasses pretty much unless it's raining.  I love photochromic lenses, since a pair with a really wide range of tint will offer wind and cold protection during the Winter and cloudy days, without darkening so much that they dim things overly much.

~ Sarah Kay

Hoodoo Guru

After at least 5 basal cell carcinoma procedures for myself, I sunscreen liberally, and more importantly, I douse my daughter with sunscreen anytime she will be out in the sun for an extended time.

I agree on the sunglasses too.  I want to make sure I can check out the babes at the old folks home in a couple of years.

The tangents are moot.

Feeling the growl again

Definitely get the sunglasses.  Melanoma can develop in our eyes...as well as cataracts.  UV rays are scary.  I wear sunglasses pretty much unless it's raining.  I love photochromic lenses, since a pair with a really wide range of tint will offer wind and cold protection during the Winter and cloudy days, without darkening so much that they dim things overly much.

I'll point out the obvious and make sure any sunglasses are labeled for UVA/B protection....those that are not may be worse than nothing!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll point out the obvious and make sure any sunglasses are labeled for UVA/B protection....those that are not may be worse than nothing!

Definitely.  And make sure they wrap well.  Nothing worse than UV rays sneaking around the frames and entering through pupils that are enlarged from the dark lens tint.  I have one nice pair of polarized Bolles that I bought mainly for driving and casual wear and gave up on, since they were so minimal and sunlight snuck around pretty much all sides of the frames:

I replaced them with these, which cover a lot more real estate on my face and wrap around my face better, too.

For running I have a pair of Optic Nerves that I really like...relatively cheap and photochromic:

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

You guys are scaring me! I love the sun and a tan as does my wife and both tan easily. I am not a great sunscreen wearer but better than in the past especially when I go south where rays are stronger. I just don't burn, never have. My wife is amazing, she puts SPF 15 on and tans dark right through it. She is 51 and her skin on her face is like velvet and she wears zero make up other than lipstick. I find that amazing.

I don't really have freckles or moles on my body. I think I look younger than 43 (at least others tell me). My wife looks 5-10 yrs younger. Neither of us have ever blistered in our lives. I think we are both blessed with good genes but it is interesting that in the past 15 years, I create my own supplement formulas and have loaded up on daily antioxidant supplements to help with antiaging, disease prevention etc. and I swear they are a natural sunscreen. I take a lof of Green Tea Extract, Rhodiola, Rhododendron, Grape Seed, CoQ10, Resveratrol, Olive Leaf and alpha lipoic acid and it seems to protect me from the inside out. I give to my wife also and she never burns. The one area I always put sunscreen on is tip of nose, top of head (hair is thinning a bit  on top) and the forehead is susceptible to more rays. 

I think I am saying I don't need to wear sunscreen. I know better. I AM WRONG!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I look my best blurry!

Does anyone know a good sunscreen that isn't icky (greasy or too smelly) and gives you a little fake color that looks natural?  I love the sun.  I try to be a sunscreen advocate and user but ever now and then I want the color.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

top of head (hair is thinning a bit  on top)

I ALWAYS burn on my part if I don't wear a hat.  That is some painful stuff.  At one time Coppertone made a spray specifically for application on the scalp.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does anyone know a good sunscreen that isn't icky (greasy or too smelly) and gives you a little fake color that looks natural?  I love the sun.  I try to be a sunscreen advocate and user but ever now and then I want the color.

All the ones I can think of that add self-tanner have really low SPF...like 4-8.  You'd probably be better off finding a self tanner and sunblock separately.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We're back from the OR.  Hubby has one fewer lymph node and a hunk of skin 3cm x 6cm missing, but now has a Franken-scar on his right forearm and another in his armpit that he can show people who still believe that sun exposure is a no-big-deal thing.  Looks like we caught things early, but we'll have a better idea of the long-term prognosis when he has a follow-up.  He's going to have 2/yearly skin exams for at least a year.  Now I look at EVERY mole on his body as the enemy...and he has a lot of 'em.

Long day...take good care of your skin, friends.  It's your largest organ and a very delicate one, all things considered.

~ Sarah Kay

Friend from high school died in January from melanoma. He was amazing, witty, thoughtful, and he was 34. By the time it was caught it had spread to his vital organs.

"Wear sunscreen" - he told that to everyone before he passed away.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

34...oh, that is so tragic.  And so preventable.

Today I heard an ad on the radio for a tanning special at a salon.  I had to switch stations.  They may as well be selling injectable cancer, along with big scars.

On the bright side, these are really comfy and didn't make me feel especially warm, so I think they may work well in the Summer.  Not so much "arm warmers" as UV protection apparel:

Hubby got plain white ones and likes them, too.

~ Sarah Kay

she runs like a girl

Like zoomy said, I use self-tanner and sun-screen separately and then I also use a tinted moiturizer with spf to give a nice glow without needing face make-up in the summer

But then again "us canadian" (I feel like I am saying this a lot lately). Don't get the sun the same way the middle and southern Americans do.

Also, being half native-american helps with the natural spf stuff Smile

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, being half native-american helps with the natural spf stuff Smile

Lucky duck...this Scandinavian/Scottish stuff is for the birds! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay