don't like my Saucony Ride 15s (Read 63 times)

Jogger bobby

I have run in NB 1080 v11 for the last two years. At the store I told the guy I was happy with them, and am prone to Achilles problems so I needed to have a decent heel lift. I ended up with the Saucony.

After a week, I'm not liking these. They're not very cushioned, which I could get used to; but more of a problem my Achilles are acting up and it feels like they take a ton of effort to run in. especially going uphill or trying to do any speedwork I seem about 30 sec/min slower for the same perceived effort.

First question is will I get used to this; could it make me a better runner; is it worth sticking with?

Second question is why anyone would run in shors that make them slower. What kimd of running/runner would these shoes appeal to?

the shoes were $105 so not a huge loss. i can use them for walking. but kind of annoying.

Born: 1973

Marathon PR: 3:44 (2000)

5k PR: 22:02 (2022)

1 mile PR: 6:09 (2022)

Goals:

5k - 21:42

Mile - 5:59

400m - 1:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I read your description and wondered if you were describing the Saucony Guide instead of the Ride.  I've been using the Ride since at least the Ride 12 and find the cushioning sufficient for even 12-hour ultra marathons and light and flexible enough that I prefer it for speed work over my other shoe, the Glycerin 20.   All I can offer is if you aren't happy with the shoe, find another one.  Why didn't you just buy another pair of the NB 1080s?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jogger bobby

I read your description and wondered if you were describing the Saucony Guide instead of the Ride.  I've been using the Ride since at least the Ride 12 and find the cushioning sufficient for even 12-hour ultra marathons and light and flexible enough that I prefer it for speed work over my other shoe, the Glycerin 20.   All I can offer is if you aren't happy with the shoe, find another one.  Why didn't you just buy another pair of the NB 1080s?

yes i think could get used to the cushioning difference. but why would a runner take less cushioning? what is the advantage?

Born: 1973

Marathon PR: 3:44 (2000)

5k PR: 22:02 (2022)

1 mile PR: 6:09 (2022)

Goals:

5k - 21:42

Mile - 5:59

400m - 1:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

yes i think could get used to the cushioning difference. but why would a runner take less cushioning? what is the advantage?

We have an odd discrepancy here in our perceptions.  From what I've read of the NB1080, the cushioning should not be that different from the Ride 15.  I moved to the Ride for more cushioning, not less, so I'm confused by your post.  From my understanding, more cushioning could take away from performance, hence the move to the stiffer, less cushioned, carbon plate shoes for faster times, though that would not be relevant to a training shoe.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Individual perceptions of soft, cushioned, firm, stable, etc vary significantly from one runner to another. 
            On demo runs, the NB1080 feels soft but no bounce or rebound for me, while the perceived bounce on the Saucony feels better to me.
            The Doctors of Running podcast has dozens of episodes exploring and explaining why individuals feel so different in the same shoes.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
            5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Individual perceptions of soft, cushioned, firm, stable, etc vary significantly from one runner to another. 

This. It seems like the majority of runners are fans of carbon plates...but I hate them. I feel like I'm fighting the shoe. For 2-3 years I was loving Skechers' line-up...and then they started throwing carbon plates in EVERY damned shoe. So now they no longer get my money.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay