Hamantaschen (Read 586 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup shortening 1 cup sugar 1 large egg 2 teaspoons packed finely grated fresh orange zest 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice filling Into a bowl sift or mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl beat shortening, sugar, and egg until light and fluffy. Add zest and juice and beat until incorporated. Add flour mixture, stirring, until a smooth dough is formed. Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Chill dough, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 3 hours and up to 2 days. Preheat oven to 375° F. On a lightly floured surface roll out half of dough 1/4 inch thick. With a 3-inch cutter cut out as many rounds as possible. Transfer rounds with a metal spatula to a large baking sheet, arranging about 1/2 inch apart. Reroll scraps and cut out more rounds. Put 1 teaspoon filling in center of each round and fold up edges to form triangular cookies resembling a tricornered hat, pinching corners together. Bake hamantaschen in middle of oven 20 minutes, or until pale golden. ----- ----- So - - With what do you fill your Hamantaschen? - Do you pinch them together all the way or let some filling show? - Do you mix fillings or keep them separate? - Do you deliver your Hamantaschen to friends? - Do you make them with freinds in a big Hamantaschen filling party?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could you use butter in place of the shortening? Those look similar to a butter cookie my mom made when we were kids. k - who thinks shortening is of the devil, and not in a good way...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Shortening here means any fat. I always use butter...
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...good. Butter is king, here. No good dyed-in-the-wool cheesehead ever uses anything else, if at all avoidable. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I sure hope you make your own butter.
            JakeKnight

Who doesn't? I'm churning some right now.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I actually did, once. I think it was in Kindergarten. We did some thing with whole milk and a simple canning jar...shook it and eventually it separated and we were able to scoop the butter out. Can't remember if we actually used it, but it was a fun little Science project for kids--I'm sure our teacher enjoyed having us burn some energy off with that activity, too. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

haha!

Runners run

I just got back from milking my goats - much better than cows milk butter. Roll eyes
                      - With what do you fill your Hamantaschen?
                      By "my" hamantaschen, do you mean what flavors do I like? Definately poppy seed! Thats totally the best!
                      - Do you pinch them together all the way or let some filling show?
                      I like some showing.
                      - Do you mix fillings or keep them separate?
                      Nope! Never had fillings mixed! That sounds sacreligious or something!
                      - Do you deliver your Hamantaschen to friends?
                      This implies that I have friends hamantaschen that I make which I dont. But I liked it when a friend mailed me some homemade ones a couple years ago!
                      - Do you make them with freinds in a big Hamantaschen filling party?
                      My parents sent me a huge box last year. And I did invite friends over to share them with me. Does that count as a hamantashcen party?
                        Trent - I meant to ask you - where do you order your Haman Ears from? I am trying to send some to my sister at college.....
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I make mine. WES sisterhood has some.
                            I dont think they ship to Rhode Island. Besides, I dont support organizations that discriminate against men. (I was told that I could not bring a guy friend to a couple events.....)
                              Turns out my parents took care of it. Which means I probably have a box coming to me too!!! If I had at kitchen that was as nice as yours, and family in Nashville like you do to help, I would probably make my own. Right now, I need to read about delivering babies instead. Yawn.
                              Jill_B

I fly.

My mother makes chocolate chip ones that are pretty good, although I prefer blueberry. Oh and it looks like we'll be living in NJ. We might have found a house!

Bring it on.