Vermont City Marathon (Burlington VT) on May 27th - who's in? (Read 59 times)

ERDD617

Hi everyone:

I'm just kicking off a 13-week training cycle for the Vermont City Marathon (Burlington VT) on May 27th.  Anyone else ramping up for this one?

I did it in 2016 (barely made it across the finish line - it was black-flagged a short while after I finished due to record-setting heat/humidity) and again in 2017 (fared much better than 2016 but still wasn't satisfied with my execution).  Hoping for redemption and a PR in 2018!!!

FM PR: 3:45 3:23 3:21 3:15 3:12 (Sept 2017)

BeeRunB

Ran it in 2005 and 2008. The second time, it warmed up considerably, forcing a 5% adjustment in speed midway to avoid crashing (worked as my friend who didn't slow down ran ahead of me ending up having to walk the last 4 miles--first time I ever beat him). Love going up to Burlington. Nice little city. The Ben and Jerry's factory was fun. Good luck, ERDD617. 

the 2005 bumper sticker that still survives on my 2005 car:

ERDD617

Thanks man. The weather is notoriously fickle in Burlington in late Spring - I feel like we’re due for a cool/calm day!

I love nothing more than pigging out after a big race and, of course, include B&J in that after Burlington!

FM PR: 3:45 3:23 3:21 3:15 3:12 (Sept 2017)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

That looks like a great race - I visited Burlington in late autumn 2016 and ran the bike path...after that experience it's hard to imagine record-setting heat and humidity there!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

an amazing likeness

VTCM:

Things to like

• Atmosphere...its an event in the midst of a cool college town.
            • Size...just right.  Not too small, not too big.
            • Lots of first timers...so people are really in a good mood.
            • The 'cloverleaf' shape of the course brings you through the town center 4 times.
            • Organizers have lots of experience, it runs smoothly.
            • Course is primarily (trends) downhill after mile 16.
            • Bands, bagpipes, drummers, beer, lake views, Vermont hippies, Vermont cheese.

Things which may not be so great

• It can be crowded and chaotic at the relay exchange points.
            • The bike path course can clog up, especially the section at the 1/2.
            • The weather can be anything from cold (40F), rain, wind off the lake to hot (80F), humid and you wont know 'till race day.
            • Burlington is pretty quiet Sunday PM after the race, compared to its usual self.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Sara Barker

That appears to be a very exciting race.