I ran with Dean Karnazes today! (Read 1091 times)

On his run across the United States, Dean passed by not to far from our town so we drove down and ran with him a couple of miles this morning. Smile Our 11 yo son is a big fan after reading his book so we pulled him out of school and took him along. Dean was great with him. The two of them chatted the whole way. (Probably driving the other guy who showed up to run with him crazy! Tongue ) He was a really nice guy and his dad was amazing. I would have loved to have had more time to listen to more of his dad's stories. LOL! It was a great day and a great run. After spending some time with Dean, it really makes that marathon seem within reach. Smile Teresa
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How cool! Dean ran the Grand Rapids Marathon...so I sorta ran with him, but not WITH him. I only did the half and I'm sure he was FAR ahead of me, LOL! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

that is way cool. I wonder if he's gonna run across the Pacific ocean to run in Hawaii.. Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

I was in an event that he ran recently, short course repeated over and over and over... saw lots of Dean and was able to interact with him a bit. Really nice guy, great spokesperson for the sport. After I met him, I read his book, not a bad read... Did you get pictures??? If you missed it before, here is a link to a photo from the race... http://www.partypics.com/ver2/ViewImage.aspx?OrderNo=26182510&Roll=00001&Frame=0662 Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

That's awsome. I went to his book signing in Cleveland (OH). He spent time talking to eveybody. It was worth the 3 hours in line with my 3 kids. Now he's a role model.
              I was really impressed with what a nice guy he was. Smile Really down-to-earth. Just a nice, normal guy who happens to be running 40-50 miles a day across the United States. LOL! He was really great with my son. Really talking to him not just blowing him off because he's only 11. Ds was really excited to see that Dean mentioned him in his blog (and posted our picture.) Smile It's cool to find out that kid's heroes are as nice as they seem. We met Lance Armstrong this year as well and he was a nice guy too. Smile Teresa
                That's very cool! Did you happen to get any photos? What a great experience for your son, too.
                  How cool! Dean ran the Grand Rapids Marathon...so I sorta ran with him, but not WITH him. I only did the half and I'm sure he was FAR ahead of me, LOL! Big grin k
                  Of course he was ahead of us, he ran it the weekend before we did. If it would have been the same weekend, I'm sure we would have been right beside him!! Roll eyes
                  So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                    Dean was great. He posed for several pictures with us and signed our book. Smile And didn't even act perturbed that we were slowing him down. Wink Teresa
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Of course he was ahead of us, he ran it the weekend before we did. If it would have been the same weekend, I'm sure we would have been right beside him!! Roll eyes
                      Hey, I forgot about that...did he actually run the course the previous weekend with the race organizers? Did he do Detroit that day, instead? Pooper, he should have done GR. All the cool people do GR! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay