Garmin 110 to 220 - Anyone? (Read 248 times)

an amazing likeness

Actually I keep the activities folder in the FR110 cleaned out just for that reason, so it usually has fewer than 6 or 8 runs stored. It gets really slow when it's filed up with lots of runs.

Guess I lost that bet...such is the risk of interweb advice giving....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

joescott

The Forerunner 220 is my new "go to" running watch.  It has everything the 110 had, everything the 210 had, and then some.  Not to mention it has that big, crisp, beautiful, display that my 47-yo eyes find easy to read when I am on the run.  I used to run with the 110 a long time ago, and I thought that was also a fine product, but once you run with a 220 it will be hard to go back, I think.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

Has anyone had issues with the charging clip for the 220?  EVERY issue I've had with the 210 is clip-related (crashing, battery drain, inability to get all 4 contacts lined-up perfectly with 4 pegs on clip, breathing on it and having it disconnect, etc.).  I'm thisclose to just tossing the damned thing and upgrading, even though it's not even a year old.  I've actually thought about sending it back to Garmin while under warranty and then selling the refurb they'd send on fleabay.

zoom, the charging clip for the 220 is much better than the 110/210.  I would say bulletproof.... but I'm holding my breath until the product has been out there for over a year.... then I will say bulletproof.

Yep, send it in under warranty!  At least get something out of the 210.  Sorry for your experience with the "chip clip" charger.  Indeed it did not perform as it should have done.  From my personal perspective you have a completely legit warranty claim.

- Joe

Maggie & Molly

zoom, the charger makes a solid connection and doesn't fall off.  I really like the 220.  it does do a go/pause thing when I stop and thengo but I haven't seen that it affects my overall mileage

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

joescott

it does do a go/pause thing when I stop and thengo but I haven't seen that it affects my overall mileage

BTW, you can turn that off if you would rather have full control over your timer (as I prefer to have).  Settings > Activity Settings > AutoPause > OFF.  Then it will only pause and restart the timer upon your explicit command. 

- Joe

Maggie & Molly

BTW, you can turn that off if you would rather have full control over your timer (as I prefer to have).  Settings > Activity Settings > AutoPause > OFF.  Then it will only pause and restart the timer upon your explicit command. 

thanks

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

So far, with two weeks of use I'd say the charging clip for the FR220 is waaaaay better than the clip for the FR110, which I believe is also the same clip used for the FR210?  On the FR220, the device seems to just fall into the clip correctly and start charging effortlessly.

This would almost make it totally worth it for me. Like Zoomy, major frustrations with the 210 charging clip. Although the past few months I have barely noticed it since the vast majority of my runs have been on the treadmill. And really I have sort of gotten used to it; usually it doesn't take more than a half-dozen attempts to get the computer to recognize it to upload data. At least I now know the drill; when it first started happening, I would download software, restart the computer, etc, not realizing that's just how it works.

The quick satellite pickup also makes the 220 tempting, although I have a system for this too - hang it on the inside handle of the storm door while I'm getting ready. Otherwise the 210 is the right watch for me, no extra features (and associated complications) that I don't need. Hard to justify a new one unless, um, some kind of accident should happen to my 210.

Dave

Walk-Jogger

Ken,

I don't' actually know if the FR220 supports USB3, as it doesn't say in the online specs or owners manual. I'll try to do a speed test on it and also on the FR110 just for fun at home tonight to get a rough indication of how fast they can be read via USB on a USB2 and USB3 port.  I'd say the FR220 is plenty fast enough though even if it's running at USB2 speeds.

OK, well that was  futile attempt at a speed test - turns out the memory in both Garmin's is both too small for my USB read speed test programs to run. I thought I could measure read speed just like I would on a USB thumb drive.  I'm going to guess after re-thinking this that the FR220 simply has a faster processor, since the actual data files are tiny.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

When I lost my 205 I chose the 220 over the 310XT.  VERY happy.  I never thought the 205 was big/bulky until I started running with the 220.  Wow.  I'm also a big fan of the almost instant satellite reception.  I also like the cadence feature - more of a toy than anything else but cool to look at.

Biggest negative of the 220, to me, is that the autopause feature is absolutely worthless on this watch.  It will autopause just fine when I stop but then it goes from autorun to autopause over and over again for a few minutes before it decides that I really did start running again.  Can't seem to fix it no matter what threshold I put in.  I depended on this feature for my daily runs when I used the 205 now I have to remember to manually stop and then restart the watch.

I had some problems with my FR220 being very wonky the last couple of days.  I had deleted All Activities and after that the device just wouldn't behave correctly.  I went to the Garmin website to see if I could learn anything and noticed that there is a new S/W update for the watch.  Version 2.80 was released, as far as I can tell, 6/18/14.  I downloaded it and updated my watch.  Seems to have fixed whatever was wrong with it which is good but also noticed that the Autopause feature that didn't work before now appears to work pretty well.  Just an FYI.

Juggernaut217

I have the Garmin 220. It does everything well!! It's super light, simple to operate and Waterproof!!!! the GPS picks up the satellites super quick. This product does exactly what it claims to do........highly recommend!!!!

4) The FR220 has a setting to prevent it from going into power-saving mode and giving up satellite lock while you're standing around for a few long minutes waiting for the start of a race. This is one of the nearly fatal flaws of the FR110, as anyone who has ever suffered from that problem just at the start of an important race will know.  This one feature alone almost justifies the upgrade.

I'd be interested to know how to set this. I have a new 220 and haven't raced with it yet.

an amazing likeness

I'd be interested to know how to set this. I have a new 220 and haven't raced with it yet.

From (somewhat vague) memory, it's something like Settings -> Activity Settings -> Timeout -> Normal/Extended...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks!