The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Prince of Fatness

Hey Trent this isn't related to the COVID 19 thread. I think this guy is a cop or came from a law enforcement family and this supports police brutality. I find this obscene. Also, being shot sounds harmful to another use, visitor, this website, or any other person or entity.

Why did you stop brewing?

Not at it at all. 

rlopez

Hey Trent this isn't related to the COVID 19 thread. I think this guy is a cop or came from a law enforcement family and this supports police brutality. I find this obscene. Also, being shot sounds harmful to another use, visitor, this website, or any other person or entity.

I could also be quoting 1970s/80s Time-Life commercials from their book series about the old west. You may or may not know this, and that's fine, and I'm sure you're just making another one of your fainting couch jokes, so that's fine.

"John Wesley Hardin was so mean he once shot a man... just for snoring."

Here is a slightly different version from 1986, note the 30-second mark.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I could also be quoting 1970s/80s Time-Life commercials from their book series about the old west. You may or may not know this, and that's fine, and I'm sure you're just making another one of your fainting couch jokes, so that's fine.

I recall that name from a song...a Johnny Cash song, Hardin Wouldn't Run (had to google it). I heard a version by Steve Earle on a tribute album....

Lyrcis:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/hardinwouldntrun.html

Running Problem

Problem Child

Why did you stop brewing?

I quit drinking alcohol and bought a Jeep so something had to go and I picked brewing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's actually more with the Terms of Service for using this website. Harmful to another user is not allowed here.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

an amazing likeness

It's actually more with the Terms of Service for using this website. Harmful to another user is not allowed here.

Thank you for raising your concern. I have reviewed the post you are questioning.  It specifically says "I once shot a man..."  It does not threaten you. It does not threaten anyone. It is a statement of an event in the past, were it a real event.  In reality it is a song lyric as is noted in follow-on discussion.

Were it a violation of the Terms of Service, I would have removed the post.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thank you for raising your concern. I have reviewed the post you are questioning.  It specifically says "I once shot a man..."  It does not threaten you. It does not threaten anyone. It is a statement of an event in the past, were it a real event.  In reality it is a song lyric as is noted in follow-on discussion.

I never said it was a threat. I said it was harmful. I read the Terms of Service as to not be exclusive to threaten me directly and I've a well documented track record of being wrong.

Terms of Service

may be harmful to another user, visitor, this website, or any other person or entity

Now that this is out of the way we can go back to talking about COVID 19. With the overwhelmingly successful recovery rates across the United States does anyone see a need for a vaccine at this point? Are we going to trust Donald Trump's administration to properly handle the vaccine? I for one WON'T be getting vaccinated since recovering from the virus doesn't grant me freedoms from wearing a mask or social distancing. I trust everyone else to get the vaccine just like I trust everyone who is contagious to stay home and stay safe so we can get through this together. Eventually we'll be able to run in groups again. Until then.....we'll have to stick with digital races.

VDOT 53.37 

I feel generally harmed.

RA should remove all posts until I don't.

I'll let them know when they get there.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

How do you actually become a mod on RA?

I would like to put myself forward if there’s a vacancy.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

OMR

Ran across this today.  Thought maybe this would be the place to post it in the event anyone is interested in reading about one woman's long-term struggle with COVID.

rlopez

Yup, me quoting a time/life commercial... a quote I've used kind of as a Bart Simpson "don't have a cow, man" phrase on this website for almost 15 years and others for longer, I am quite sure it does not meet most people's definitions of "harmful". I don't think it does yours either, Scott, and so that's fine. If it does, well, no, I meant no harm whatsoever.

It is weird, though, that there is a small clique of you... that have not really been here that long... that seem to enjoy being pains in the ass to the moderators of this site. I do not know why that is, but it is an observation. You be you. We're all watching you kind of like a dog with its head cocked sideways listening to a strange noise.

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

And yall, wear a fucking mask around other people.

Oh, if it ever comes up, cut the red wire and not the blue wire.

rlopez

I recall that name from a song...a Johnny Cash song, Hardin Wouldn't Run (had to google it). I heard a version by Steve Earle on a tribute album....

Lyrcis:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/hardinwouldntrun.html

John Wesley Harding is ALSO the name of a Bob Dylan album 1967, which contains the song John Wesley Harding.

Note the added "g" to his last name. That always bugged me. Ha.

There's a whole section on the wiki page for John Wesley Hardin (no g) that covers the snoring thing. 

Snoring probably spreads covid.

rlopez

Actually, it was a quote from a commercial many of us grew up with and something I've written on this site before (probably a dozen times), but whacking the post is ok by me. At a meta-level, this whole discussion seems to be about internet message board lawyering, which yikes, I am apologetic (edit: and empathetic... btdt) to anyone having to moderate currently. The good news - "It's just running."

Anyone who views me quoting a kids' commercial from the 70s about the wild west in a thread literally called the wild west as a possible threat even as an exercise in semantics... well, we all see this person for what's what. (not just a commercial... but a Time/Life commercial. Heh. Ok then.)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It is weird, though, that there is a small clique of you... that have not really been here that long... that seem to enjoy being pains in the ass to the moderators of this site. I do not know why that is, but it is an observation. You be you. We're all watching you kind of like a dog with its head cocked sideways listening to a strange noise.

Gosh, this must be true on every site.  I'm a moderator on a college search website.  It's the usual list of suspects that cause 99% of the problems.   Then when we ban them (after many, many warnings), the other troublemakers chime in about how horrible and "capricious" the moderating is.  Drives me bonkers.