Would this irritate you in a race? (Read 530 times)

jfa

Droolers are bad.

Droolers and sloberers.

Dream Maker

I did a half before with an associated marathon, once.  (I normally am doing the marathon, but injury+no fitness at all had me downgrade).... At the split, I turned to the marathoners and said "Suckers."  I would have thought it was funny if I were the marathoner... but now, reading the responses to this thread, I'm thinking I probably left someone seething for miles.  Oops.  Oh well, wouldn't be the first or last person who thinks I'm annoying as frick.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I did a half before with an associated marathon, once.  (I normally am doing the marathon, but injury+no fitness at all had me downgrade).... At the split, I turned to the marathoners and said "Suckers."  I would have thought it was funny if I were the marathoner... but now, reading the responses to this thread, I'm thinking I probably left someone seething for miles.  Oops.  Oh well, wouldn't be the first or last person who thinks I'm annoying as frick.

Wouldn't have bothered me.  I'm always thinking the same thing about myself when the halfers split off.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Kalsarikännit

Grunters and wheezers are the worst.

Beeping at trail races. Out in the peace and tranquility of the woods. Rolling singletrack, dirt and trees. Birds chirping, leaves rustling. And someone's Garmin beeping every gdmn mile. Beeping to let them know their splits, beeping to let them know that their heart rate has really gotten up there while climbing up a mountain, beeping to let them know that they are going faster than their desired pace range when flying downhill, beeping to let them know that they lost their signal out in BFE. Beeping, beeping, beeping.

Also, I once raced against a guy with the loud metronome ticker while at a 24 hour race on a track. There was no avoiding him.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xhristopher

I don't see the problem here. If you can't handle the truth don't sign up for a marathon.

Slo

Beeping at trail races. Out in the peace and tranquility of the woods. Rolling singletrack, dirt and trees.

Also, I once raced against a guy with the loud metronome ticker while at a 24 hour race on a track. There was no avoiding him.

The last time I did the Techumseh there was a guy wearing one of those tickers with the mile marker beep...seriously, how can you keep time in that race? Finally someone asked him to shut it off.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

At the split, I turned to the marathoners and said "Suckers."

Most marathoners would enjoy this, I'm sure.  I certainly would.  It plays on the "you just wouldn't understand" disposition of people who think they are taking on a bigger challenge than another.  Really, you're complimenting the marathoner by basically saying, "I'm not _that_ crazy!"  Which translates to, "you are hardcore."

My favorite banter in a marathon are the "what the fuck did I get myself into" and the esprit de corps of suffering with a bunch of strangers united by the common goal to surpass themselves.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

So, I was watching “Mister Rogers and Me” last night on PBS (which was quite a feat you know, because they’re in the middle of a pledge drive and it kept being interrupted by the asking and the tote bags and phone ringing and such). Anyway, there’s a neat part in there where this guy’s upstairs neighbor has been complaining about the loud music he plays. This guy takes Fred Rogers upstairs and they all meet. And Mr. Rogers says something like “Heather, I understand that loud music bothers you. I can’t stand loud music. I really prefer silence. But I think what’s happening here, is that you’re getting to know Jay. And as you get to know each other, you’ll start to find his loud music a little less irritating. And Jay, maybe you’ll start to care about Heather enough to turn down your music a few notches.”

And I thought of this thread. And now that we know you a little more, I bet we’ll find the jokes a little less irritating. And now that you know us a little more, I bet maybe you’ll tone it down a notch.

But I like you just the way you are.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

The term you're looking for there is "justifiable homicide."

Runner100

I passed a guy in the last 5k of half who had "See You" on the back of his shirt. He was running around 1:27 pace and maybe fading a bit.

So did he mean "see you" to folks passing him. Or was it a message for those who he passed? Or both?

i didn't say anything.

Mysecondnewname

Grunters and wheezers are the worst.

Believe me:  those of us who have to wheeze while running would rather not.

C-R

I guess the bleached racoon skull and other various carci on the trail should have been a clue that annoying things are left for dead on that point to point.

The last time I did the Techumseh there was a guy wearing one of those tickers with the mile marker beep...seriously, how can you keep time in that race? Finally someone asked him to shut it off.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

2014 C-R, I'm planning it again. I hadn't heard what they are doing with the cancellation this year so it may be tough to get in.

MTA, I just went to the FB page. Appears they have an alternative date.

C-R

2014 C-R, I'm planning it again. I hadn't heard what they are doing with the cancellation this year so it may be tough to get in.

MTA, I just went to the FB page. Appears they have an alternative date.

Awesome. Count me in then.

Yeah, they decided to run it again. Lots of locals so it makes sense and my guess is guaranteed entry for those that can't make it to the reschedule. That's a great group of guys and the RD takes good care of runners for all their races.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Kalsarikännit

Awesome. Count me in then.

Yeah, they decided to run it again. Lots of locals so it makes sense and my guess is guaranteed entry for those that can't make it to the reschedule. That's a great group of guys and the RD takes good care of runners for all their races.

I wonder if everyone couldn't make it, if they will be opening new spots.

When is the new date?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart