2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, when I read "sloshing" I think water but no electrolytes.  Have you tried sports drink and very salty food/gels?

Everyone's electrolyte needs are a bit individual, but we all do need them.  For me, I have to hit salt and magnesium really hard (and, oddly enough, avoid potassium).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I did take salt/electrolyte pills on this run. I may have been a hair too fast to start, but that's about the only thing I think I could have done differently. Maybe next time I'll try Gatorade on the run instead. It may also have been that I did 11 miles less than 12 hours earlier, so I may have not recovered fully from that sweatfest.

Either way, this kind of weather really dampens the mood. It's like the end of a marathon, you just feel broken.

I'll also add: I think running in the afternoon can sometimes be better, even if the temp is higher. Even a slight breeze can make a difference, and in the morning the air is just completely still

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, though this sounds...not fun, I've found that sauna use helps with my heat tolerance.  Once you build up to 30 minutes at 180 degrees, running in 80 ain't so bad.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

Cinnamon: A mix of anything but Nike. I live and die (too often for my liking) by my own limited powers Wink 

It's nice to know there are others out there  

JMac: It seems like something magical always happens to me around 1 hr 50 min in heat. Even if I try to run ridiculously slow - doesn't matter. I can't make it much past 2 hr.  And I think you have a point there that it hadn't been that long since your earlier double digit run. Shit does pile up if you haven't had enough time to recover.

madisonrunner

For heat I find having electrolytes available is key.  For most summer long runs I carry a bottle of Maurten and add 4 scoops endurolyte powder to it.  This usually lasts 1-1.5 hours.  If it's really hot I'll refill the bottle with water once it's empty.  I also carry electrolyte pills with me and as soon as I start feeling a little tingling in my legs I take one.  I'll carry 4 pills with me (usually I take 0-2 but on some super humid/hot days I have taken all 4).

I finished week 1 of my 12 week marathon training cycle. 102 miles.  It was all easy runs other than this morning's workout of 8 at MP as part of a 17 mile long run.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Jayluf Yes !! Love it !! I have no advice on trail shoes though. Just be careful! And Paris is definitely going to be one of my next Spring marathons. Not sure if for 2020.

Cinnamon - Paris is a great destination marathon and imo a much better choice than Berlin anyway. Beautiful course, amazing atmosphere and a great city to visit. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

Cinnamon - Paris is a great destination marathon and imo a much better choice than Berlin anyway. Beautiful course, amazing atmosphere and a great city to visit. 👍

Mikkey – so do you not recommend Berlin at all? Serious question. There are definitely other Fall marathons on my list. I need to pick them wisely! Would you recommend Amsterdam over Berlin? Or what? I so want to go to Portugal so maybe Lisbon? I have ran several miles in Paris along the Seine but never a race. I do love Paris. There’s Barcelona in the Spring and Rome too. Idk – the US sucks. My heritage is European. I wish I could be sent back there. LOL

Madison - NICE

M: 6.5 mi (8:17)
                T:  9 mi with tempo fail after 10 min
                W: 80 min (8:05)
                T: off  
                F:  8 mi with 4 x ½ mi (5:48) with 30 sec rec, couple min rest, ½ mi (5:35) *road*
                S: 45 min (8:30)
                S: 100 min (8:09)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Madison - solid mileage!

Cinnamon - nice workout on Friday - are you going to be jumping into some shorter stuff?

JMac- though this isn't really helpful, I do agree with your observation that some people just don't handle heat as well as others.  I think one can acclimate to some extent, but there is also a lot of individual variation.

My week:

53 miles, 17 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
                  M: Yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                  T: 8 miles very easy (9:12), drills/strides, light upper body weights/core.
                  W: 2 miles very easy in the morning (9:15) and DIY yoga; in the evening, 4 mile warm-up, mile race in 5:48, 1 mile cool-down.
                  Th: 9 "miles" pool-running
                  F: 4 miles very easy (8:57), yoga, and 7 miles very easy (8:44), followed by drills/strides.
                  Sa: 12 miles, including 8 long hill repeats (~2:00 up, ~1:30 jog, ~30 second stride, ~60 second jog) with 30 second water break after every 2 repeats; followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                  Su: 11 miles very easy (9:15), plus drills and four hill sprints, then upper body weights/core. Followed with 3 miles very easy (8:56).

Starting back on the track this coming week.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Madison - 90+ miles of all easy running sounds like my worst nightmare. Well done. I also don't know how you carry water bottles on your run, I did it once and vowed never again.

cinammon - tempo fails are the best fails! But I agree, that seems to be the magic mark where it all goes to hell.

dw - nice week, it's still hard to decipher everything you're doing!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey – so do you not recommend Berlin at all? Serious question. There are definitely other Fall marathons on my list. I need to pick them wisely! Would you recommend Amsterdam over Berlin? Or what? I so want to go to Portugal so maybe Lisbon? I have ran several miles in Paris along the Seine but never a race. I do love Paris. There’s Barcelona in the Spring and Rome too. Idk – the US sucks. My heritage is European. I wish I could be sent back there. LOL

Well I’m going back to 2012 and it was one of my least favourite marathons....a very crowded race from start to finish and just not a great overall experience for me...at the time I remembered thinking that it wasn’t a patch on London.  Paris is a massive race (50k+ runners) but well organised and a great course with some quirky entertainment along the way and a wine and cheese station towards the end which would be great to stop at if you’ve missed your goal time!  I had also thought of Rome but the cobblestones put me off.  Fall marathons - yes I’ve always liked visiting Amsterdam and that’s a good race. There’s also the Dublin marathon at the end of October...you can’t go wrong in Ireland!  I googled the Lisbon marathon and that looks like a great option!

The US sucks? 😀   I’ve thought about running another US marathon....but I cant imagine any race/destination being better than NYC!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Madison, Great week. looking forward to seeing your cycle. Where are the details??

JT Reeves - Didn't see the DL meet yet taped it will watch tonight was busy binge watching  a horrble 3rd season.

Day Miles Pace Description Time
                        Mon 8.2 10:17 Easy Morning run 1:24:09
                        Tue 8.0 9:38 4x 1K w/ 2x 400M 1:17:09
                        Wed 8.0 8:58 Easy morning Run 1:11:50
                        Thu 8.1 8:59 Mona Fartlek 1:12:46
                        Fri 10 7:37 10 Miles Easy 1:16:26
                        Sat 16.5 8:38 16 Mile Heated Run 2:22:27
                        Sun 14.2 8:24 14  Easy Morning Run 1:59:22
                          73.0 Slow

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

weatherboy80

JMac: Sucks about the 5k, but you had a 3-4 day span of some serious heat (saw that Central Park never dipped below 81 yesterday), even more so than some of my recent FL days!  Not sure what to tell you or others about dealing with the heat, but I imagine my year-round acclimation helps me more than anything.  I do not do any salt tabs on my runs, but will usually take in some form of electrolyte drink on my workouts and LR's.  Generally it is just water for all my other runs.  For group runs we generally try to stop for fluids every 3-4 miles as well.

Madison:  Awesome devotion to the mileage!

Cinnamon:  Nice looking week and no worries on the tempo fail.  I had one on Friday myself after going out way too hard.  I should know better though.

DW:  Nice week.  Looking forward to seeing you back on the track!

Nimmals: Nice looking week of volume irregardless.  Slow is okay right now!

Kram: Glad to see you back at it consistently!

JT: Hope you are enjoying your trip!

Me:  Pretty happy with my week, especally the quick bridge repeats on Wednesday, but as mentioned above went out too hard on my planned 20 minute tempo on Friday and pretty much turned it into 2 X 1.5 miles instead.  Certainly neeed to dial back the pace in the heat!

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Jul 15, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 21, 2019

Day

Miles

Pace

Description

Link

Mon

7:43

Could have used auxiliary oxygen 🥵

strava

Mon

7:34

Afternoon Run

strava

Tue

7:55

EZ + cupcakes + strides

strava

Wed

8:27

Warm up

strava

Wed

6:19

4 X 1200m bridge repeats

strava

Wed

8:23

Melting down

strava

Wed

7:36

Random old lady yelling “It’s too hot to be running here right now”

strava

Thu

7:45

Dead legs 🦵 

strava

Fri

7:00

4E + 2 X 1.5@Hard + 1.5 c/d

strava

Sat

7:47

Watching nature’s light show offshore 🌩 

strava

Sun

7:42

🥵 

strava

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

ZZCaptainObvious

JMac - on the long runs in heat, I suspect it was more lack of recovery than crashing in the heat. Also, enjoy Japan! It's pretty fun (at least, it was 10 years ago during basketball tournaments - (no, I wasn't that good at basketball; international schools have weird sports)).

Last week was a bit worse than eh, but like everyone else, heat. 6, 5.8 (via 2 by 1.5 at higher effort), 6.3 (via failed tempo @ 1 mile), 4.2, 10.8 (before 5+ hr in car), 6.1, 6.1.

jayluf

Last week was a down mileage week and the theme was just about survival. Had a great short tempo on Wednesday, and came out of the east coast heat wave a few pounds lighter, but in relatively good spirits. It was definitely demoralizing at times - I had a good laugh about it though on Sunday when I was forced to run/walk the last 2 miles in 95t/72dp conditions 

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Jul 15, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 21, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Tue 8.0 7:53 Lincoln loop w/ 4 x 20s strava
                              Wed 9.3 7:50 Workout Wednesday- 15min tempo, pushing last few strava
                              Thu 8.0 8:58 LL - Max Chill Effort strava
                              Fri 4.1 8:57 Toasty Shakeout strava
                              Sat 14.0 7:28 SLR - just cruisin’ on the C&O strava
                              Sun 7.0 8:55 Sunday Runday in the slop strava
                                50.4 8:10
                              madisonrunner

Madison - 90+ miles of all easy running sounds like my worst nightmare. Well done. I also don't know how you carry water bottles on your run, I did it once and vowed never again.

JMac - I do really just enjoy running but full disclosure on most easy days I'm wearing headphones to try to learn Spanish.  On long runs I carry a regular water bottle (16.9 oz) and it's not bad at all.

Madison, Great week. looking forward to seeing your cycle. Where are the details??

Nimmals - My log is open right here on runningahead.com.  My weeks are never very exciting though.  Basically a long run, 0-1 workouts, and a lot of easy mileage.  Some flexibility/core/strength work too when I don't run out of time (~20 mins/day M-F, all stuff from Pfitz).  Last week was:

M - AM 10 (w/ strides) /  PM 5.7

T - 14 / 5.7

W - 5.7 / 5.7

R - 12 / 5.7

F - 5.7 / 5.7

S - 8.2 (w/ strides)

S - 17 (w/ 8 at MP ~5:50/mile)

Total 102

This week is very similar except no strides Monday, 5 miles at lactate threshold on Wednesday, and the weekend long run is 18 without any MP work.