How do you stop getting bored? (Read 272 times)

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

But I'm starting to get bored. How do people stop getting bored on their runs?

Pain. Especially on a treadmill. Intervals of pain. Just increase pace until you can't stand it, and hold for some amount of time. I really enjoy a recovery that would have been boring when I know mandatory pain is just 3 minutes away. I haven't tried it outdoors much, but it works pretty well on treadmill, for me.

I've recently taken up parkrun in an attempt to do something different. (My local one is trail and I don't get a chance to do trail elsewhere, really)

Are you in the U.K.? I met a guy from U.K. And Japan and Denmark and Texas and more at my first Parkrun this weekend at Roosevelt Island Parkrun in D.C.  I'm getting one started in Louisville, Kentucky and wanted to meet some people who had pulled it off in a more advanced location (If I thought getting permits for Louisville was difficult, it was nice to juxtapose that against acquiring a perpetual use permit at a presidential monument in a national park).

Tiger Rag

Are you in the U.K.? I met a guy from U.K. And Japan and Denmark and Texas and more at my first Parkrun this weekend at Roosevelt Island Parkrun in D.C.  I'm getting one started in Louisville, Kentucky and wanted to meet some people who had pulled it off in a more advanced location (If I thought getting permits for Louisville was difficult, it was nice to juxtapose that against acquiring a perpetual use permit at a presidential monument in a national park).

Yes I am.

Just come back from Cardiff where I did a 10k around the bay. Very nice it was too. Now 5 more days to go before I start training for the London 10,000.

DaBurger

But I'm starting to get bored. How do people stop getting bored on their runs?

Dunno, ask Bhearn

Know thyself.

bhearn

My solution to not getting bored over my running career is to always have meaningful goals. When one gets stale, you have to move on... for me that has generally meant trying something longer. 10K, half, marathon, 50M, 12-hour, 100M, now 24-hour. It's not such a great recipe. Where does it end?

Moreover... 24-hour is about running around in short circles. Over, and over, and over. So my solution to not getting bored evidently results in maximum boredom.

BeeRunB

Apply this idea to your running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8