hmmm.. what does this 1 mile test say about my 1/2 marathon pace? (Read 857 times)

I did a 1 mile test today to see what kind of speed I have... and well the course was about 100 ft up hill the 1st half and then back down... so not the best course.... but... anyways my time was 5:58 my last race was a 10 miler in 1:09:56 suggestion on a target 1/2 marathon pace... I still think I am capable of 1:31Tight lippedx I think I need to do just a bit more tempo running and continue to taper a bit on the long distance... to freshen up my legs... I really was expecting a 4:45 today... perhaps the incline was more than I thought... and perhaps I am just not fast... but 15k -10 miles IS my best distance?
      VDOT According to your 1 mile time for a 1/2 M: 1:33:36 VDOT according to your 10 mile time for a 1/2 M: 1:33:25 McMillan According to your 1 mile time for a 1/2 M: 1:35:33 Mcmillan according to your 10 mile time for a 1/2 M: 1:32:52 The calculator on this website which takes into account both times: 1:33:21 But of course, that assumes you ran those races tapered on similar courses, etc.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Feeling the growl again

A one-miler is a terrible predictor of a HM performance. It could mean a lot, or nothing, depending on your training. Try a 4-mile tempo.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Double IPA Please!

A one-miler is a terrible predictor of a HM performance. It could mean a lot, or nothing, depending on your training. Try a 4-mile tempo.
          Really? A 4 mile tempo for a race time predictor?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Feeling the growl again

Really? A 4 mile tempo for a race time predictor?
            It's a lot better than trying to extrapolate a mile to a HM... Let's put it this way. Within 2 months of my 1:09 HM PR I ran my mile PR...4:34 if I remember correctly. A few steps behind me with 4:40 was an acquaintance who has never seen the south side of a 1:20 HM. He could have beat me in an 800m.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

ok... well I was planning a 4-5 mile tempo this week... what am I looking for... since tempo and 1/2 marathon pace are about the same? I am pretty sure I could rip off 4-5 @ 6:50-7:00 on a flat surface... what will that tell me? I know sub 1:35 is definitely doable... the question really for me is if I have done enough to extend my 10 mile time by 3 miles... ? so really I think I am talking only the difference between a 1:33 and 1:31 which 120 seconds over 13 mile is only about 10 seconds a mile... so should I go out at 7:10 0r 7:00... probably doesn't matter... I'll know when I hit the 8 mile mark if I have over done it...

Feeling the growl again

You're looking for a very granular prediction, only a 2-minute range. You certainly can't get that from a 1-mile effort. If you can run 4-5 miles comfortably at a certain pace, you are right, that is probably a decent goal for a HM race pace. This is a predictor, right?

upon further reflection... the difference is really only about 10 second a mile... I am fairly certain I can go out at 7:10 ish... and be just fine... through 13... but 7:00... is the pace I did my 10 miler at and that is questionable... for 13 and I really think I am capable of somewhere close to 6:55 on a flat course... which this is... All that being said... screw 15 seconds... I'll run the first mile aiming for 7:10... then find my groove...if 7:10 is hard that day... then I'll try to hold it... but if my groove finds me clicking along at 6:55 so be it... I think I need to not over think it... just run the race by feel and let it unfold... don't pick my pace... let the pace pick me... sorry to be so darn anal...
                    I'm looking for the day when I can run as far as you at 7:00 and know that 5 seconds makes me feel different. Big grin

Vim

milkbaby

upon further reflection... the difference is really only about 10 second a mile... I am fairly certain I can go out at 7:10 ish... and be just fine... through 13... but 7:00... is the pace I did my 10 miler at and that is questionable... for 13 and I really think I am capable of somewhere close to 6:55 on a flat course... which this is...
                      If you really feel that you are in 6:55/mile shape for the HM, and everything conspires to make it the perfect race day, then why don't you try and run about that fast from the start? Just go for it! If you blow up, then you weren't ready to run that fast that particular race day. If you run great, then you did it... Smile 10 seconds/mile can be a huge difference if your fitness is equal to 7:10/mile for the HM but you start out at 7:00/mile; however, it's not a big deal if you are in 6:50/mile shape if you're running about 7:00/mile or 7:10/mile, y'know? Wink
                      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                      JimR

10 seconds a mile is a big chunk when you're working at your limits. Don't think for a second it's easy to overcome. My 1/2 PR is 1:32 flat on slightly faster PRs for other distances than yours. Tempo runs are good and you need to keep them (although progression runs would be preferable for the half, around 5-7 miles). 10 milers are a key workout that will give you excellent strength. Don't over taper, it's a half...not a full marathon.
                          Jsobo, While I was training for my marathon I worked up to tempo/MP runs, or whatever you want to call them, of 10 miles or so running somewhere around a 7:00mi pace. I ran a 1:28:00 HM 6 weeks ago using this training. Granted we're different people with different training styles and efforts... but I think you know what I'm getting at. I was gunning for a sub-1:30:00 in the HM. Anyway, I think your plan of starting around 7:10/mi and playing it by ear is a smart one. that's what I did for my HM and I suprised myself. I wouldn't be too shocked if you go sub 1:30:00 Smile I say play this one agressive! After all its "only" a half-marathon... if you do bonk there's not another 13 miles to run Smile
                            alright I did 12 with 6 + tempo.... and went after a hard effort... ran a bit fast the first mile... then got it under control... 6:51, 6:59, 7:09, 7:09, 7:13, then my pace started falling off... so I called it quits after a 1/4 mile at 7:30 pace... I could have upped the effort to hold the pace but... What I learned... is that 7:10 feels good... 6:51 feels like effort.... so 7:10 by my garmin was 7:00 mile in my 10 miler... what I have learned is that 7:10-7:15 is feeling a lot easier that it did a month or so ago... that being said... perhaps I can run the beginning of my half the same way I ran the 10 miler... and with my increased fitness be able to tack on 3 more miles... ??? but I think I learned that if I try to go out faster that 7:10 then bad things are going to happen in the second half of the race... I am going to go out aiming for 7:15 first mile and settle into 7:10's if my hr is in the 150's then I'll kick it up the middle miles... all that being said.... who know what race day will bring... it seams like there is usually more in the tank than I expect... and on race day speed comes from somewhere... and what the heck... I have to end my streak of negative splits eventually.