New to running/jogging/loafing: where to learn? (Read 475 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Are you too clueless to google "Couch to 5K"?

What is your problem?

steph  

Wing

Joggaholic

Hang around and keep reading.  Look at peoples' running logs on here.

+1

Read some of the older threads if you have time, a lot of good Q&A there that are very helpful also.

dontknowhow

Are you too clueless to google "Couch to 5K"?

No, I've already looked at it, and I have two problems. One, it's a jogging program, not a running one. Although, if it's possible to reasonably start out with jogging as opposed to running, I will. And two, my biggest problem isn't in finding a "program" or anything like that, it's in not having the skills and training to perform the actual task of running correctly. Couch to 5K does not address that at all.

dirtroadrunner

No, I've already looked at it, and I have two problems. One, it's a jogging program, not a running one. Although, if it's possible to reasonably start out with jogging as opposed to running, I will. And two, my biggest problem isn't in finding a "program" or anything like that, it's in not having the skills and training to perform the actual task of running correctly. Couch to 5K does not address that at all.

Hmmm.... I didn't realize how much skill it took to run. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all this time. I always thought you just ran Sometimes slow. Sometimes fast.

an amazing likeness

Genuine question...What's the difference between jogging and running in your mind?  What's wrong with walking to build your fitness? from your posts sounds like you've got a fairly long distance to go to build up to running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zonykel

Over striding, bending at the waist, looking down, swinging arms all over the place... I think there IS some skill involved in running.

Hmmm.... I didn't realize how much skill it took to run. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all this time. I always thought you just ran Sometimes slow. Sometimes fast.

Thats rad

Yeah running isn't easy for some people. My favorite is the guy in on my street who....

1. Looks like Coach K, the basketball coach for the dookies
                2. Runs with his shoulders high and tight
                3. Runs with absolutely no use of his hands. They just flop around like he can't even move them. Kinda reminds me of a 5 yearold prancing through a field of daisies.

Better I Leave

Agreed. Speaking for myself of course, I prescribe to the Forrest Gump methodology..."I just felt like running".

L Train

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You don't need to learn to run--you just need to do it.

Mmmmm...beer

Runs with absolutely no use of his hands. They just flop around like he can't even move them. Kinda reminds me of a 5 yearold prancing through a field of daisies.

Guy at my 10k was running like this, arms straight down at his sides, hands loose, but arms not moving at all.  It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.  What was really funny tho, was that I couldn't catch him!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Guy at my 10k was running like this, arms straight down at his sides, hands loose, but arms not moving at all.  It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.  What was really funny tho, was that I couldn't catch him!

(after reading the 1st sentence)

Was his name Robert? (aka SportsJester)

(after I finished reading your whole post)

Nevermind, if I recall from the videos, he's not fast.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Haile Gebrselassie runs with one of his arms at a slightly funny angle - supposedly - it looks pretty subtle to me. He's also pretty fast.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Not dead. Yet.

Raquel Welch does that too.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Raquel Welch does that too.

And yet, she's someone you can admire.