Do you run on the sidewalk or in the road? (Read 1156 times)

Prince of Fatness

Personal observation: I have found that, in terms of traffic and such, if you are running on sidewalks it is slightly safer to run with traffic. The reason being is that when approaching an intersection (or driveway, or parking lot exit/entrance), people who are pulling out into traffic tend to look left only (assuming a right hand turn). If you're facing traffic, there is a real good chance the driver never even looked in your direction. I have been almost hit by cars due to this more times than I can count. A few received dents in their hoods for the lack of observation.
    Yep. This is the number one thing I look out for when running against traffic (road or sidewalk). I've never been clipped but the majority of close calls have been from this. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a car come up to a stop sign, take a quick glance left, and make a right turn without ever stopping.

Not at it at all. 

I run on the sidewalk, cars drive way too crazily around here to risk running on the road. Cars try to force me off the road when I'm in a car... can't imagine how they'd treat a vulnerable runner. Confused
        ... can't imagine how they'd treat a vulnerable runner. Confused
        You can't? Do you not drive? Myself, I would not want to hit a human not shed in 3000 lbs of car, and I believe when running other drivers think the same. But accidents do happen.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

If you're very sensitive to the hardness of the surface, your form is bad. You're creating too much impact.
          Yep. Gravity is a bitch.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Member Since 2008

I try to stay away from concrete as much as possible.
            runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sidewalk

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

You can't? Do you not drive? Myself, I would not want to hit a human not shed in 3000 lbs of car, and I believe when running other drivers think the same. But accidents do happen.
                I think you're giving the drivers around here too much credit...... I watch out for runners and bikers but it seems like nobody else does.

Menace to Sobriety

I think you're giving the drivers around here too much credit...... I watch out for runners and bikers but it seems like nobody else does.
                  Yeah, but its so hard to see everything when your yakkin' on the phone, lookin' at your on board navigation screen, trying to find your favorite CD, now you want them to look where they're going, too? Undecided

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

HappyFeat

Incredibly, it's true. I had never heard of this law, but I just did a search for it and found Section 21966 of the California Vehicle Code, which states: Pedestrian in Bicycle Lane 21966. No pedestrian shall proceed along a bicycle path or lane where there is an adjacent adequate pedestrian facility. Added Ch. 751, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.
                    True enough. When I lived in California, I got "warned" 3 times by patrol men and women for running in the street...even though it was 5:30 a.m. and absolutely no one was out driving around except for them! I prefer to run on asphalt or dirt. I stopped running on concrete years ago because it gave me shinsplints at the time and I heard it doesn't have as much "give" as asphalt. I think that's true also.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

skinnycaponesugar

I have along my route a combination of concrete, grass, dirt, tree roots and low hanging branches, sometimes I have to jump off the foot path and go on the pavement, but I rather stay away from cars, people drive fast on quiet roads around here...

Love, Run, Sleep

I am a big fan of running on the street. 1. concrete is harder 2. I've had a nasty spill this year while tripping and running up hill on a sidewalk 3. I run early in the morning so there's not much traffic and I wear enough reflective gear that unless you are truly not paying any attention at all, you should be able to see me. My husband and I disagree on this as he would prefer to have me run on the sidewalks. What I see alot of, is people running on the sidewalks, before sunup in completely black gear!! sidewalks cross roads and when they do, these people are in danger - sidewalks or streets, a vest is an inexpensive and stylish option.......
                          Boy, with Halloween over, candy sales must really be low. Just saying.