Aug. mileage? (Read 851 times)

Along for the Ride

Zoom - what are your goals for the marathon? I don't think you would have to consistently run 40-50 mile weeks. Towards the end of a training plan you'll get into some high mileage weeks. When I trained for my first full, I don't think I ever hit a 50 mile week. I also ran a HM as a warmup on that relatively low mileage and finished in a respectable 1:57. Right now I am having nagging aches and pain issues if I try to go above 20 mile weeks. I'll just hang out there at that level and see what happens.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

At this point I don't really know what my actual goals are, but I'd like to be in the 40-50 mile range for maybe a month before I'd start tapering. A 1:57 HM is really awesome! I hope to get under 2 hours for my HM someday. This year I am thinking 2:05 is likely going to be where I'll be if I have a really awesome race. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I still find that once I get much above 30 miles/week that running becomes a little less fun and I tend to get minor injury issues. I need to eventually get beyond that, though, as my plans for a marathon next year are going to require that I work up to consistent 40-50 mile weeks. k
        Zoomie --- any reason why you need to work up to 40-50 mi weeks before you run a marathon? I'm following Hal Higdon's Intermediate II marathon training program, and I'm pretty sure that the first few weeks are in the 30-40 mi range.
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomie --- any reason why you need to work up to 40-50 mi weeks before you run a marathon? I'm following Hal Higdon's Intermediate II marathon training program, and I'm pretty sure that the first few weeks are in the 30-40 mi range.
          I thought 40-50 miles/week was pretty standard for being prepared for a marathon...? I don't see how I could run one on my current mileage, which is in the 30-35 mpw range. k

~ Sarah Kay

I thought 40-50 miles/week was pretty standard for being prepared for a marathon...? I don't see how I could run one on my current mileage, which is in the 30-35 mpw range. k
            From what I understand, 50 mpw is on the high side (not unheard of, but on the high side). Check out http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00intermediate.htm ... my highest mileage will be 50, I think, but the program starts in the high 20s (mpw) and works its way up. I don't think you need to consistenly be training in the 40-50 mpw range BEFORE you start training for a marathon ... a good training program will get you there! MTA: Check out my running log -- I've been following Higdon's Intermediate II program pretty religiously ..
            2009: BQ?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From what I understand, 50 mpw is on the high side (not unheard of, but on the high side). Check out http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00intermediate.htm ... my highest mileage will be 50, I think, but the program starts in the high 20s (mpw) and works its way up. I don't think you need to consistenly be training in the 40-50 mpw range BEFORE you start training for a marathon ... a good training program will get you there!
              Oh, I didn't want to START at that level, but wanted to be in the 40-50 range during the last month before taper. I was figuring I would try to maintain ~20 for the winter months, then stick to pretty much the ~30 I've been doing this past Spring/Summer, then as soon as Fall weather starts get myself gradually into the 40-50 range by mid-Sept.

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, I didn't want to START at that level, but wanted to be in the 40-50 range during the last month before taper. I was figuring I would try to maintain ~20 for the winter months, then stick to pretty much the ~30 I've been doing this past Spring/Summer, then as soon as Fall weather starts get myself gradually into the 40-50 range by mid-Sept.
                My highest milage week before my very first marathon was 41 miles. Other than that my milage was about what your doing already Kirsten. Of course knowing what I know now, I wish I had waited another year or so and did what your planning on doing.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

K - sounds like a really smart plan.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

103.1 highest mileage since restarting in May - fingers crossed - still hanging in there Bonus - finally made it to 500 - there were weeks when I thought I would never get there!! Congrats everyone - especially those running in the heat not you Crabby - our "heat waves" don't count Wink
                    WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! WAY to be pertinax!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mine wasn't so good. We went away a lot this montha nd I missed a couple of long runs and basically missed last week. I guess consideringI did alright with 48 miles. My longest was last month with 52.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Mine wasn't good either- in fact the lowest since last summer. Recovering from my 50k at the end of July, being sick and having absoultely NO energy for over a week, and now the heat. Oh well, Sept will ramp up pretty good as I train for my next 50k in October.
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Highest in my life. But 10 lower than my goal.
                            I did 137...about what I expected. This month should be in the 150-160 range. Coach finally moved me up to 40...and last week was my first week to actually be able to complete it, but I chickened out on Saturday..only did my race and like 1 mile afterwards.
                            The Plodder

A smidge under 90 miles for me in August. Am fairly happy with that, had pretty consistent totals over the four weeks. Now that the kids are back at school am hoping to be able to get out for a run on Fridays, which should see my weekly total get over 25 miles. I had a few weeks in June/July where I did over 30miles per week and I found that I struggled with a few aches and pains. SO although I plan to get there I am planning a more gradually increase in mileage (have only been running since January). Should catch the 1000 mile bunny at some point this week too!

Marathonmanleto

Hit 300 for first time this year. Steady build up to next month's Marathon.