1st Marathon and your Marathon PR? (Read 357 times)

4:21

3:14

Hill Slug

3:17 age 25

2:49 age 28

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

L Train

4:12:13

3:20:35

13 seconds, baby!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

4:57:36 (2010)

3:56:35 (2011)

I didn't manage to drop another hour for my third.  Didn't drop any time, in fact.  Hoping to do better on my fourth, May 5.

13 seconds, baby!

--The posting of "seconds" I understand (especially if just hitting a sub-hour barrier by less than one minute), but there are a couple of folks who have times in their logs and elsewhere that have "Fractions" of a second indicated... Example "3:55:24:13" with the :13 hundredths of a second in subscript...  Something tells me those folks are accountants?  (Every digit matters, no matter how far down from the decimal!)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Resident Historian

3:23:37 (1998)

3:23:37 (13 attempts later - 2 under 3:24 but not PR's)

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

delicate flower

4:16 - age 39

3:45 - age 40

<3

Arimathea

Tessa

--The posting of "seconds" I understand (especially if just hitting a sub-hour barrier by less than one minute), but there are a couple of folks who have times in their logs and elsewhere that have "Fractions" of a second indicated... Example "3:55:24:13" with the :13 hundredths of a second in subscript...  Something tells me those folks are accountants?  (Every digit matters, no matter how far down from the decimal!)

Not likely accountants. Accountants understand the principle of materiality. Fractions of a second matter in the 100 meter sprint, they're not as important for 26.2.

Actuaries. OTOH, yes, every digit DOES matter. Wink

Arimathea

Tessa

4:56 Los Angeles 1987, aged 23 (gun time, no seconds, in those days chips were something that went with Lipton onion soup mix dip)

4:17:48 San Luis Obispo 2013, aged 48

I dont think I would post my fractions of a second, nor did I even care to look. BUT,,,,,  when you run that marathon and finish, it gives you permission to post fractions. That is the beauty of completing a marathon.  Now if you say the fractions  don't matter, consider this : what if you ran a 2:04.22.13 and world famous Ryan Hall runs a 2:04.22.16   I bet you  would be posting those fractions of a second ALL DAY LONG.  So be nice to the fraction people, to them it is important and times are all relative to the person running right??

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

BruceD555

3:56 - 1st - 6 months after I started running last year

3:43 - 7 weeks after the 1st

Train smart ... race smarter.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

1st: 4:42

a couple years and DNF's later

4th 3:38

You people have issues 

--but there are a couple of folks who have times in their logs and elsewhere that have "Fractions" of a second indicated... Example "3:55:24:13" with the :13 hundredths of a second in subscript...  Something tells me those folks are accountants?  (Every digit matters, no matter how far down from the decimal!)

Those are most likely uploaded from GPS watches.

For a while I was in the habit of chopping of the fractions of a second on runs I upload from my GPS. Recently though, I got a new GPS watch that is so small and light and easy to use that it's become my only running watch (actually only watch period) and I've gotten lazy about chopping off the hundredths of seconds from every run.

So you'll see hundredths of seconds on a lot of my runs but it's not because those digits matter...it's actually because they don't matter that I've stopped bothering to chop them off. Honestly I don't really notice them anymore.

Runners run

No Talent Drips

I got a new GPS watch that is so small and light and easy to use that it's become my only running watch (actually only watch period)

Hey MangoMunch, can you provide details on the watch? thinking of replacing my 405.

3:12:55 (1st)

2:50:49 (13th?)

Dei Gratia

Not likely accountants. Accountants understand the principle of materiality. Fractions of a second matter in the 100 meter sprint, they're not as important for 26.2.

Actuaries. OTOH, yes, every digit DOES matter. Wink

I'm not an accountant or an actuary but every day I work with phenomenon that occur on the timescale of 15 picoseconds up to about a tenth of a milisecond...hundredths of a second seem like a huge amount of time to me...