First 5k (Read 881 times)

I am running my first 5k two weeks from now – so I would like some advice on how to plan training for the coming two weeks.

One day the world will be ready for you and wonder how they didn't see.

btb1490

According to your training log, it doesn't look like you've done much running up until this point. With just two weeks to go, now is not the time to try to cram in a lot of running to make up for things. I would suggest looking at Hal Higdon's beginners 5k program, and follow what he prescribes for the last two weeks. http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm Best of luck in your 5k, and keep up the running!

Slow-smooth-fast

To answer this could take all day, I recommend you do a search on google, and look over previous threads, this has been discussed in length various times. At the end of the day if you are racing a 5k, you must be ready for it so you should know eeactly what you need to do beforehand. I would recommend a couple of speed sessions before, say 12x400m fast, 1 min recovery, a hill session, and a long 8 miler.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I would try to get as many miles in as you can. There really isn't a lot of time for things like tapering. Good luck and have fun.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

va

What btb said...
              Thanks a lot. I know it might not have done enough milage for the 5K - but the 5K was actually the motivation for beginning in the first place, as its a relay and we have a team at my workplace Wink I also forgot to mention that I did some smaller distances before my log entries - I only found this site a couple of weeks ago.

hi greylock - welcome to RA. firstly good for you - you've run further than your race distance so no worries there. i'd suggest that in two weeks you probably can't do much to help your fitness. but what you can do is overdo it and end up sore and tired on the day. so id' suggest that your training should be no more than you've been doing so far, and given that you are relatively new to running i'd suggest 2 full days off before your race to make sure your legs are fully rested. hope you have a good one and come back to let us know how you got on.... Mandy
                  26:27 min - definately better than expected, as my goal was 28 min. Cool

congratulations Big grin time to start planning the next one now
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, that's great for a first 5k! That's faster than my time...I haven't run a 5k in almost a year (I suck at them). What's the next race you have your eye on? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great race time!! Congrats! Cool
                        ---- Cynthia
                          I was a bit surprised myself - but the course was flat and the weather quite nice. My next race will also be a 5k - 3 weeks from now. But the course here is in the woods, and is a lot tougher Dead