How to Stay Motivated/Stick With It? (Read 1609 times)

GntSqd

I wouldn't say its that I hate running. When I run I do enjoy it, I feel much better and happier after I've gone for a run. And of all physical activities/exercises that i've done in my life running is my favorite. Well aside from maybe rock climbing, but that isn't quite practical in my area of the country. 

As for races as far as I know there aren't any in my area. After my trip this week I'm going to try this C25k thing and may even look at a $25 watch gizmo if they really are that cheap. I think seeing some sort of number may help me keep my pace under control.

This is another sort of off topic question but several people have told me recently that its bad to run on pavement/asphalt or to run every day to every other day. They say the constant impact can damage your legs over the years or even cause shin splints. My mom use to run a lot before and after I was born, I ran a lot as a kid (for fun not races or exercise), my whole family use to be very active. None of us have ever had problems with our legs or shin splints. Is their any truth to this or are they just spitting out nonsense they heard on 'the internet'? Unless you hit the ground flat-footed, no shoes on and straight legs all the time I can't imagine the impact being that bad to where it messes your legs up.

Gnt--I have an odd schedule and I hate mornings, but I know that when I get up and get out, I feel so much better. You obviously know that, too. You just have to force yourself up and out. Sometimes, just coming to this site and reading a few posts will generate the motivation I need. As to the injury factor, as long as you don't over train and replace your shoes after 400 miles (+/-), you should e gtg. Besides, you're just a pup, how could you get aches and pains? Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

DoppleBock

Basically - Your gonna ruin your knees with all that silly running

If given a choice I run on pavement (Blacktop) versus Concrete - Concrete is 2x as hard.

If I had a nice trail (Dirt) close to me I would run on it a few times a week - I do not, so I get a trail run in once a week or every other week.

I do run on TM a fair amount - Maybe 40% of my yearly mileage - Mostly because I do not love running in WI winters, but even in summer I will run occassionally on the TM.

> 42,000 miles in 9 years weighing an average of 215-220# and my knees feel pretty good 

This is another sort of off topic question but several people have told me recently that its bad to run on pavement/asphalt or to run every day to every other day. They say the constant impact can damage your legs over the years or even cause shin splints. My mom use to run a lot before and after I was born, I ran a lot as a kid (for fun not races or exercise), my whole family use to be very active. None of us have ever had problems with our legs or shin splints. Is their any truth to this or are they just spitting out nonsense they heard on 'the internet'? Unless you hit the ground flat-footed, no shoes on and straight legs all the time I can't imagine the impact being that bad to where it messes your legs up.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Troy.

When people say stupid things like this, I just take it to mean that they're not willing to do the hard work of running--nothing more than justification for laziness, I say. (Except for the case of preexisting knee injuries, of course. That's another story entirely.)

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

I wouldn't say its that I hate running. When I run I do enjoy it, I feel much better and happier after I've gone for a run. And of all physical activities/exercises that i've done in my life running is my favorite. Well aside from maybe rock climbing, but that isn't quite practical in my area of the country. 

As for races as far as I know there aren't any in my area. After my trip this week I'm going to try this C25k thing and may even look at a $25 watch gizmo if they really are that cheap. I think seeing some sort of number may help me keep my pace under control.

It's not bad to run every day or every day. In fact, most top runners are running 2x every day. Running is known to be good for bones, and while I haven't read them closely I have seen a recent article or referencing studies that indicate running may even be good for joint health at times. 

As far as running on pavement all the time...I wouldn't want to have to do it. Maybe it's cause I'm used to running frequently on dirt but pavement running consistently really starts to make my legs feel beat up. I imagine though, that like most things in running, this various significantly from runner to runner. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Feeling the growl again

several people have told me recently that its bad to run on pavement/asphalt or to run every day to every other day. They say the constant impact can damage your legs over the years or even cause shin splints.

Several people are idiots.  I hear running can make your uterus fall out too.  Even if you are male.  Roll eyes

If I listened to several people, I'd think I needed to gain 30lbs to "look healthy" (ie look like the average overweight American) too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Several people are idiots.  I hear running can make your uterus fall out too.  Even if you are male.  Roll eyes

I lost my brain...

If I listened to several people, I'd think I needed to gain 30lbs to "look healthy" (ie look like the average overweight American) too.

YEAH, I wouldn't spend much time listening to "Several People" either.     

-"Several people" have told me how bad running is for you and that runners aren't in very good shape..

-"Several people" have told me I should never run over 2 miles every other day......After all EVERYONE knows that if you run more than 2 miles every other day you just dont get anything out of it..

-"Several people" have told me that because I recently turned 60, that I probably should quit running because I'm getting too old and everyone know its not good for me at MY ADVANCED AGE.

"Several People" have even told me I should cut back on my running so I'm not neglecting my family - despite the fact that I'm normally in from my run before anyone in my family is even out of bed....

Its my opinion (for what its worth) that when several people tell you something, you should do the opposite and you'll be on pretty solid ground, because 'several people' generally dont know anything and less about running...

OH YEAH  -- My BMI Is 22% (smack dab in the middle of normal) and yet my two brothers are concerned that I am so light and underweight, look bad and must be really unhealthy......they're not concerned that they are both OBESE (literally are both over 30% BMI)........

Never listen to other people....'cept for other runners and be skeptical of what most of them say too.........but you can trust SPANIEL's advice....guarantee....

Champions are made when no one is watching

GntSqd

Well I wasn't saying I do listen to them, I know not to listen to these people. Especially considering the fact that everyone I can think of that has told me this is over weight.

And there is a trail about a block from my house thats half dirt half asphault (I think) and a bit of gravel. Being that its half and half its I wonder if trail shoes are worth it?

jfa

After my trip this week I'm going to try this C25k thing

I think that this is a great way to start. It brings you consistency. Consistency at an easy pace and time frame. All your other questions will be answered by yourself if you just stay with it . I had shin splints. I had side stitches, I think most people go through stuff like that. But if you stay consistent, you will get by them.

If you still have questions about things, this is the best place for answers.

Good luck!

And there is a trail about a block from my house thats half dirt half asphault (I think) and a bit of gravel. Being that its half and half its I wonder if trail shoes are worth it?

Unless footing is an issue I don't think you'll need trail shoes. I run single track in Kinvaras and other light weight shoes.  If it's rocky gravel, maybe consider a more cushioned shoe, for crushed gravel/dirt, your normal running shoe should be fine.

Gstrobe188

I've stayed motivated with a 12 in 12 plan. 12 5k's in 12 months. It is also a great oppertunity to meet like minded people in your area.

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

i oce tried to stick with it ad stay motivated by putting a series of tacks on my couch. 

how many "n's" are missing?

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

M.Burrows

I sometimes run wooded single track  trails in my old pair of running shoes.  There is no need for anything special for a beginner.

Keep entering races. As long as you know you have races to perform in (and you care somewhat about your performance) then you'll have something to motivate you.