2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The "famous Jim" is probably Jim2 - a gentleman and a scholar, loved by all (died from cancer a few years ago).

The other Jim that I think you're remembering was also a great guy... lived in the Bay Area, and worked for a music streaming service.  Must be in his late 60's now.  I ran with him in Central Park once.

My favorite, and only, story of ‘the other Jim’ is he ram CIM, filled in as a blind guide and pacer for a woman who ended up doing well enough to win the overall championship, and then be invited to the Olympics for 2020 (I believe). I sometimes wish I could have this opportunity/luck. Strictly for the amazing story, with the added benefit of Olympics athlete experience.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I had no idea Sam was on the FBI's most wanted.

Nah, I don't think it was Sam. He's in Estonia now at another university, if he was wanted by the FBI he'd be caught already.

Jmac - See, I don't eat pineapple on pizza, and I eat my hamburgers with my hands, I see no reason why the FBI would want me. Unless they're looking for recommendations for a good local açaí place.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

OMR

I had no idea Sam was on the FBI's most wanted.

I ran with him once in NYC.  Smart computer/academic guy - lived in Leeds England, then moved to Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon Univ).. Ran 3h-ish marathon, then developed hip issues.   He did not like living in the USA.  Also, he used to post incognito on Letsrun, and did detective-type investigating over there.  (I could never figure out who he was...).

edited to add: flavio beat me to it!

i don't think sam is the one.  he is easily found on the interwebs...currently in estonia.  i met him and his wife when he ran the lake wobegon marathon.  nice guy.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - See, I don't eat pineapple on pizza, and I eat my hamburgers with my hands, I see no reason why the FBI would want me. Unless they're looking for recommendations for a good local açaí place.

from Imgflip Meme Generator

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Speed Surplus

Can't be that Sam. I met up with him and seattlemax for a meal once.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Rovatti thanks for the info.

No the Brazilian guy was someone else who I think came onto the sub 3 thread and ended up arguing with Slammin. Somehow it escalated to Slammin having to going underground for a while due to this guy's credentials and then coming back with the new user name Nimmals which is Slammin backwards.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rovatti thanks for the info.

No the Brazilian guy was someone else who I think came onto the sub 3 thread and ended up arguing with Slammin. Somehow it escalated to Slammin having to going underground for a while due to this guy's credentials and then coming back with the new user name Nimmals which is Slammin backwards.

Is this a joke? I can't tell, because it sounds like the plot to a bad comedy 

I miss nimmals. As is almost always the case, his online personality was very different than what he's been like in person each time I've seen him. Although he definitely is one of the least organized runners I've seen!

SC - for some reason I thought you were Seattle Max. Or do you just live in Seattle? I can't keep it straight 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The "famous Jim" is probably Jim2 - a gentleman and a scholar, loved by all (died from cancer a few years ago).

The other Jim that I think you're remembering was also a great guy... lived in the Bay Area, and worked for a music streaming service.  Must be in his late 60's now.  I ran with him in Central Park once.

Yep, the most loved and respected guy on RWOL who was helpful to everyone. So much great advice on his running page. https://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/

The poster who intrigued me the most when I first joined in 2008 was Gumbo…he was anonymous and would never reveal his true identity and his spelling was absolutely appalling. But he was very knowledgable and we shared a few private messages prior to my first sub3 in 2010 and I respected him even though he got ridiculed quite a bit!

This Sam guy must be the one who ran the Reading Half in England and seemed like a normal regular guy.

Clever - I forgot to say great photo…you looked a bit like Steve Cram!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It’s like how trail running is a very mild extreme sport…

Steve - "very mildly heated", I'll have to think about that one 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CalBears

Is this a joke? I can't tell, because it sounds like the plot to a bad comedy 

SC - for some reason I thought you were Seattle Max. Or do you just live in Seattle? I can't keep it straight 

No, it is not a joke - the real thing. The "Brazilian" guy was extremely aggressive for some reason. Slammin somehow got into a debate with him and I don't know why and how (google and calculating an identity of the guy) but he got some information about the guy, who was not Brazilian but, I think he was an American, who was hiding from US authorities in Brazil - because Brazil doesn't extradite criminals to other countries (that's how I understood that). I am not sure many people know details, because the argument got out of hands in no time. I believe, Slamming was vicious too - that's why he was banned immediately and all the posts related to the argument were deleted by the Admin. So, unfortunately, not more than this that I know of. But I think it was in 2013, because I have some posts archives and Slamming is already listed as Nimmals there.

I know SeattleMax - met him several times - at ultras and marathon event - no, he is not SC - because I didn't meet SC Smile Or, at least I am not aware of our meetings.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey yeah that Sam I have on my Strava. He's a good guy.

Cal yes thanks for filling in the gaps.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Speed Surplus

I just live in Seattle, I don't max it out (by running absolutely wild hill repeats like seattlemax still does) 😂

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

No, it is not a joke - the real thing. The "Brazilian" guy was extremely aggressive for some reason.. I think he was an American, who was hiding from US authorities in Brazil

What was his RWOL name?

The poster who intrigued me the most when I first joined in 2008 was Gumbo…he was anonymous and would never reveal his true identity and his spelling was absolutely appalling. B

Ditto.  He taught me everything I know about running (I'm not one to read books...)

I got a little suspicious when he claimed a 68min 1/2M, then disappeared when everyone doubted/challenged him to verify.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I got a little suspicious when he claimed a 68min 1/2M, then disappeared when everyone doubted/challenged him to verify.

The pre-Strava days were quite different!

Thanks for the stories guys, love hearing this stuff. I now see why you guys say things are tame compared to the old days given you were dealing with expats hiding from extradition!