Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

The King of Beasts

Not sure how long you will be here in TN, but if your here on 6/4, you could (and should) run the Music City Distance Carnival.

thats where I am going to take a shot at it.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Purdey

Self anointed title

I weigh an inordinate amount more than I did in school. I think I ran 17Tight lipped in then. My adult best time is 18:08, but have only raced it once. I get the feeling that the 5,000 is a distance which takes some practice, and patience, to master. I might be giving it a shot later this year, but my training will be focussed on ultras... so I don't know how succesfull I'll be.

You poor people, needing to think months in advance about a 5k PR.  Man, I could PR on any given Saturday.  Yeah, baby! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

Months?  If only.  I'm about to celebrate the 7th anniversary of my 5k pr.

Running is stupid.

Runners run

joescott

You poor people, needing to think months in advance about a 5k PR.  Man, I could PR on any given Saturday.  Yeah, baby! 

Nader, I'm not 100% sure this is something to be proud of.  Joking

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Pride? In the name of love, Joescott! It's an exciting time!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

yeah I also weigh about the same as I did my senior year in highschool but have lost significant speed.  I could run a 53 second 400 then.  I can't even imagine that now.

Obviously, we all slow down as we get older.  But I wonder if a lot of this loss of speed is that fact that we no longer practice it.  

We learned the lesson that more miles produces better results than low miles + fast track work.  So we run more, and we rarely run the hard 200s and 400s our high school coaches made us run because they didn't know any different.  But maybe it's precisely because we don't run those kind of workouts very often that we now "lack speed" -- maybe that's actually a bigger factor than just age.

I'm not necessarily advocating we all go out and start blasting short intervals, though.  I wasn't as fast as Mikey, but I was good for 54~55 second 400m in high school.  Even if I dropped 30 lbs and got down to senior year weight, I'd probably injure myself training to run like that again.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lazy idiot

Even if I dropped 30 lbs and got down to senior year weight, I'd probably injure myself training to run like that again.

It's probably tough to wipe at 4:00/mile pace.

Tick tock

It's probably tough to wipe at 4:00/mile pace.

LOL

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Personally, I found that I really enjoy running 200s as a bonus at the end of a workout (Its like your parents forcing you to eati broccoli when deep down you really like it). Granted.. I havnt done many of these and my 5k time might have trouble breaking 18 min.. But, I do look forward to adding some speed.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

joescott

Pride? In the name of love, Joescott! It's an exciting time!

OK, I checked your log and I see what you mean.  You're having an avalanche of 5k PRs the last several months!  Let's have you get that sucker under 19 now.  Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

MrH

The event-specific training that a good HS coach will have you do, makes a huge difference for distances like 400m and 800m.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

mikeymike

The event-specific training that a good HS coach will have you do, makes a huge difference for distances like 400m and 800m.

As does being 17.

Runners run

MrH

As does being 17.

But there's not much you can do about being 17 again.

My son's high school team has a bunch of kids running 17:XX for 5k. Some of these kids are running 2:00 or better for 800m while those 17:XX 5k runners focusing on 3200m wouldn't break 2:15. Meanwhile kids who run closer to 19:00 for 5k are running 2:15 with 800m-specific training.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

17:26 today (kilometer splits were 3:21, 3:34, 3:28 and 7:03 for the last two) in a quite competitive field on a flat 2-lap course. I think I finished somewhere between 10th and 15th with at least 7 guys under 17. Still a long long way to sub17, but I have gone from 17:45 to 17:36 and now 17:26 in two months time, which is pretty encouraging. I'll keep plucking away!