Watch alarm for running/walking intervals (Read 77 times)

Bluejayfeather

So, my doctor and I were talking about my hip.  He suggested that I run for a minute and walk for 30 seconds.  He said that I could get an alarm that would tell me when a minute had passed.

Would this alarm be in a watch?  What would I buy?

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a Garmin 220 and it has a run/walk feature that does what you are looking for. Not sure what other Garmins have this.

Joe618

So, my doctor and I were talking about my hip.  He suggested that I run for a minute and walk for 30 seconds.  He said that I could get an alarm that would tell me when a minute had passed.

I've been doing the run/walk for nearly ten years.   You have several options.

Many Garmin's have this feature.   I personally prefer the Timex Ironman Series Watches, the ones with the 50 or 100 lap timing feature.   These watches have an interval timer and you can set it for both the walk and run cycles and then it repeats without any intervention on your part.   If you want to use your smart phone, search in your App store for "run walk Intervals timer" and you'll find a lot of choices.  

Don't overthink it.   Get one of these and try it out.   BTW, the cycle the Doc suggests seems like a wise one, to me.  

If you are interested, I've written a lot about run walk...you can start here and follow the links.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Bluejayfeather

I looked at both the Garmin and the Timex Ironman watches.  The Timex is quite a bit cheaper.  Does it have less features than the Garmin?  Is there are reason why it is cheaper?

Joe618

I looked at both the Garmin and the Timex Ironman watches.  The Timex is quite a bit cheaper.  Does it have less features than the Garmin?  Is there are reason why it is cheaper?

Yes, a very good reason!   The Timex Ironman is just a watch.   No satellite connection.   No GPS. No distance measurement.   It's just a watch.    And it does a very good job of being a watch.    It's a terrific watch.    When I run races, I actually wear both the Timex and my Garmin Forerunner 25.   The watch does two things...it is the official stopwatch for my race time AND the interval timer gives me all my run/walk info.   The Garmin gives me my instantaneous and aggregate pace, the distance and is my backup stopwatch.

Does that help??

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

JimR

Jawihan

Another option for a wearable interval timer is a Gymboss (under $20) check it out. I have had one for a couple of years .

Jim

Joe618

Another option for a wearable interval timer is a Gymboss (under $20) check it out. I have had one for a couple of years .

Jim

Good point, Jim.   I forgot about that...a good unit that can clip to your belt.   The option to either have an audible alarm and/or a vibrating signal.  It's a good unit.   Find it online, easily.

Joe

________

https://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/collections/running-heart-rate-monitors/products/garmin-forerunner-25

this place has some good prices.

I have the garmin 25, pretty nice, pretty simple, it has a run/walk option.

If not, I once got a boxing alarm from a sporting good store, it'll clip on your body and beep or vibrate, it was like 15 bucks?

you can set rounds to 2 or 3mins and rests of 30sec or 60secs..

good luck!

300m- 37 sec.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Gymboss used to make a free app, may be worth checking out.