Overheating while running (Read 117 times)

BaileyRunner

I tend to overheat terribly whenever I run, even in super cold temps. So therefore I have problems running in races when it’s hot and humid out. Anybody else experience this? And what have you done to make yourself more comfortable while running in the heat? Thanks!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I tend to overheat terribly whenever I run, even in super cold temps.

Are you physical able to sweat?  Sounds like a silly question, but some people cannot.

It sounds like you are over-dressing, if you overhead in super cold temps.  Unless you are really pushing hard, at 40F you should be comfortable, if not a bit cold.

Running in the heat just sucks.  Other than shirt-off, and tiny short, there's not much to do other than hydrate and keep to the shade.  Maybe find a breezy place to run.  There are other stop-gaps like ice-compact on the back of your neck, and silly ice-running vests.  But otherwise, just expect to go slower and be miserable.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Mmmmm...beer

Providing you don't have medical issues that are interfering with your body's ability to cool itself, you have to work to acclimate yourself to the heat. Most people avoid the heat at all costs, running early in the morning, or in the a/c on a treadmill, but then suffer when they try to race in the heat. I take the opposite approach and embrace the heat and force myself to acclimate to it as quickly as I can once it starts warming up. Some people naturally handle the heat better, but if you don't completely avoid it, then it might not be quite so bad. I do make sure to stay hydrated of course.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I have issues with overheating as well, and they've become worse now that I've hit menopause and my internal thermostat has gone completely haywire.  In the winter I layer, and I definitely head out feeling cold, knowing that I'll warm up.  In the summer I run early, in the cool mornings.  If I can't avoid the heat (last year I ran an afternoon track workout, and sometimes races start on the late side) I dress as minimally as possible and drink a lot of water, as well as squirting water in the part of my hair to cool off my head.  I wear a visor rather than a hat, which shades my eyes and makes me feel cooler without covering my head with a layer of cloth, and typically a singlet and shorts.

npaden

Avoid direct sun if possible.  If not it may sound counter-intuitive, but several companies make long sleeve shirts that are essentially just sunblock.  They are practically see through but do a good job of blocking the sun.

If you are in a dry climate, adding water to yourself while moving can essentially create an evaporative cooling system.  The drawback is that you either need to carry lots of water to keep adding as you dry off or plan your run for a route where you can replenish water frequently.

To some extent you can acclimatize yourself to warmer conditions, but certain folks truly do have thicker skin and have a harder time dissipating heat.  Losing weight can help to some extent if you have a little extra fat under your skin.

In races in the summer I tend to always get 2 cups of water at water stops and dump one on my head, take a drink out of the 2nd and then dump the rest on my head.

I have a bandana that I soak in water that has some kind of gel that soaks up the water that I wear around my neck on trail races. It helps some, but not anything spectacular.

Oh well, those are a few things I do.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I don't always feel hot, but I sure seem to sweat a lot in the last year or two. I used to really enjoy running  jogging in 90+ heat, like Bikram Yoga. Bikram Running?

Do you feel overheated, or are you just sweaty?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I choose a shadier route for longer runs (I can tolerate it for shorter runs), stay hydrated, and sometimes wrap a wet cooling towel around my neck—they’re very lightweight and nice to wipe down with, re-wet, or (this is going to sound weird) wrap around my head like a babushka to shade my face and cool my head.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

T Hound

Slower but happier

I don’t race in the heat.  Can’t really do it.  I tend to take more downtime June/July which are hot or run at night in the summer.  Just build base (August is hotter but for fall races there’s no way around it).   You could try heat acclimatizing there are some well defined protocols.  For me that just seems like more a pain.   This winter I’ve been treadmilling which is pretty hot.  Maybe that will help, but it’s the humidity that I find is a bigger factor here in the Midwest.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

paul2432

Slowing down is a must if you are running in heat.  Don't wait until you are overheated, start slower.  Once you get overheated it is too late, and difficult to recover.

Everybody has trouble in hot races.  If you train for it and don't go out too hard, hot races can be a good opportunity to place higher than you would otherwise even though your time will be slower.

BaileyRunner

Thank you guys for your responses. I tend to run along the lakefront in Chicago in the early morning, but I think I need to stop avoiding the afternoon heat and get more acclimated. And continue to hydrate of course. Thanks again!

Don't over-do the hydration and get hyponatremia. I think a lot of people drink too much.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I live in swampy SC and agree. It’s often wise to wipe your face w/ an ice water rag and do some body cooling, like ice on pulse points, etc. Dumping water on your head is lovely, too.

Don't over-do the hydration and get hyponatremia. I think a lot of people drink too much.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                          5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10